Looking to Purchase 1982 Vette - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 02:45 AM
SFL82VETTE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Purchase 1982 Vette - Need Advice

Good evening!

first time poster... great forum and lots of valuable info.

I have found a 1982 Vette with 90,000 miles...overall condition is good... needs TLC with paint job... interior is in good condition...all electronics work (seat, radio, wipers, etc). Headlights rise and lower slow, but without any problem.

I do have a question about a 'thump' when shifting into drive.... I don't believe this is the transmission as the shifting while driving the car is fine. No slippage was present. It is just when you go from park to drive that there is the 'thump'... going into reverse is fine with no 'thump' there. I am thinking u-joint issue? or is this something more serious and costly?

Also, given the details I have noted above, what would be a fair price to offer for this car? Seeing there is nothing major with this 'thump'

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:02 AM
funymuny
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 1982. Bought it a few years ago from a fellow that had a few older cars. He had done a good bit of mechanical 'restoration' work. It still needed a lot, at least for it to be close to what I wanted it to be. It has 78k miles. Most recently I replaced virtually all of the front-end suspension, new bearings, shocks, upper/lower arms, etc. Replaced the radiator (old one very corroded). I did a good bit more but my point is, depending on what stage of 'nice' you want, you can/will spend some time and money.

Anyway, the tranny on mine seems tight. It has always shifted 'hard' into drive. The corvette expert that worked on my car said it is pretty normal. This might be different than what you are describing.

I love my 82. A potential trouble area is the cross-fire injection system. There are some wear items. My car had an issue with idle. They took off the injectors, cleaned everything, checked seals, idle control, etc. A complete tune-up, new plugs, wires, etc. was done also. Car runs great now...idles great, no valves pinging, etc. But his words to me were the cfi system, due to its design, is subject to wear. You can convert to a carb system. He mentioned that on mine but because my car was in decent condition he wanted to see if he could get things working with the cfi staying on the car. Seems like he got it right. Replacing the throttle-bodies is expensive.

Anyway, if I knew then what I know now, I might have gotten an 80 or 81. 1980 was carb and no computer.

My 82 is running great after I spent some money on it.

Mark
Old 10-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Arcticshark
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum! I think the thud you speak of when putting the car in drive is probably just a u-joint. Easy fix.

As far as the cross-fire system, I really don't know, never had one with it. I've heard guys on here cuss it and others praise it. An 82 with paint issues and fairly high miles would probably go for about $5500 up here in Alaska. Prices will vary a lot depending on location. Where are you at?

Last edited by Arcticshark; 10-18-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:48 AM
SFL82VETTE
Intermediate

Default Purchasing a 1982 Vette - Advice Needed

Thanks Mark,

Yeah, I get mixed responses on the CFI.. both good and bad. Personally, I find it a rather interesting technology.

I am going to get this Vette for $2000 as the guy selling it is in financial dire straits. Originally he wanted $5000 for the car, but a foreclosed home and losing his job has pretty much put him into a forced sale.

People had put offers out to him, but they never came out to even see the car. Car was just listed this last weekend and I guess it is hard to get to doing things in the middle of the week for most.

Anyway, for $2000 I guess it is a fair buy considering everything appears pretty good with the car. As I mentioned all the electronic devices are working, inside is decent and outside needs some work. The engine runs pretty nice and the tranny seems tight overall. Except for that knock into drive. Got to keep in my mind too, that this is a 27 year old car when I am use to owning new and shiney cars.

Overall the car just needs some ole fashioned 'TLC' and I honestly love working on cars like that. I had a 2002 Z06, but that car was bought in 2007 used and in pristine condition with 15000 miles on it. Great car and all, but it was for the wife and her knee went bad and the manual tranny bother it too much. We ended up trading it in for a 2008 Dodge Avenger R/T. Nice new car, but we both missed the Corvette since trading it in...guess this is our way of trying to get that 'wanting a Vette' feeling fulfilled.

I will let everyone know how is goes as I am due to pick the car up today if all goes well.

Thanks for the info!!

Originally Posted by funymuny
I have a 1982. Bought it a few years ago from a fellow that had a few older cars. He had done a good bit of mechanical 'restoration' work. It still needed a lot, at least for it to be close to what I wanted it to be. It has 78k miles. Most recently I replaced virtually all of the front-end suspension, new bearings, shocks, upper/lower arms, etc. Replaced the radiator (old one very corroded). I did a good bit more but my point is, depending on what stage of 'nice' you want, you can/will spend some time and money.

Anyway, the tranny on mine seems tight. It has always shifted 'hard' into drive. The corvette expert that worked on my car said it is pretty normal. This might be different than what you are describing.

I love my 82. A potential trouble area is the cross-fire injection system. There are some wear items. My car had an issue with idle. They took off the injectors, cleaned everything, checked seals, idle control, etc. A complete tune-up, new plugs, wires, etc. was done also. Car runs great now...idles great, no valves pinging, etc. But his words to me were the cfi system, due to its design, is subject to wear. You can convert to a carb system. He mentioned that on mine but because my car was in decent condition he wanted to see if he could get things working with the cfi staying on the car. Seems like he got it right. Replacing the throttle-bodies is expensive.

Anyway, if I knew then what I know now, I might have gotten an 80 or 81. 1980 was carb and no computer.

My 82 is running great after I spent some money on it.

Mark
Old 10-18-2008, 07:51 AM
SFL82VETTE
Intermediate

Yeah, I am thinking the same thing... u-joint issue. I have priced them for this car and it is a cheap and easy fix.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:54 AM
SFL82VETTE
Intermediate

Default Looking to Purchase 1982 Vette - Need Advice

sorry.. I am in southern Florida

Originally Posted by Arcticshark
Welcome to the forum! I think the thud you speak of when putting the car in drive is probably just a u-joint. Easy fix.

As far as the cross-fire system, I really don't know, never had one with it. I've heard guys on here cuss it and others praise it. An 82 with paint issues and fairly high miles would probably go for about $5500 up here in Alaska. Prices will very a lot depending on location. Where are you at?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:18 AM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Your offer of $2K sounds like a great deal but we haven't seen pictures. I'm sure you've read other forum threads about checking the normal rust areas on the frame, if not do some more research. The cross fire years ('82/'84) are dependable systems as long as you understand it and don't "bubba" fix it. As you mentioned it needs TLC and it is 27 years old but if you're good at repairs, go for it. Good luck and post pictures when you can.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:21 AM
SFL82VETTE
Intermediate

I will post some pics later today if the deal all pans out.....

Originally Posted by RMVette
Your offer of $2K sounds like a great deal but we haven't seen pictures. I'm sure you've read other forum threads about checking the normal rust areas on the frame, if not do some more research. The cross fire years ('82/'84) are dependable systems as long as you understand it and don't "bubba" fix it. As you mentioned it needs TLC and it is 27 years old but if you're good at repairs, go for it. Good luck and post pictures when you can.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:42 AM
at3erdbase
Instructor

Artic is right.

Your front u-joint is bad!

Also check out the others
Old 10-18-2008, 12:18 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I would side with the U-joints as the first place to look, also consider the front rubber bushing for the rear differential mount. This can go bad and you get the thud as well.

82s, look for high idle problems associated to vacuum leaks of your complete vacuum system, including the upper and lower intake gaskets.

A properly mainted CFI engine will run forever.

Check this mechanics list (3 parts) out as well:

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part1.htm
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part2.htm
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part3.htm

Good luck. Cant hardly go wrong with $2K.

Brent.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:32 PM
SFL82VETTE
Intermediate

ok ... so I closed the sale today and took home my 1982 vette.. took the car for $2000.

I hope I post these pics right... let me know your thoughts. thanks!!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:47 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Thats Grand Theft
Old 10-18-2008, 06:55 PM
SFL82VETTE
Intermediate

it is what it is!!

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Thats Grand Theft
Old 10-18-2008, 08:14 PM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 133 Posts

I posted on your other post but wanted to share my thoughts here on the CF and on the "thump" you are hearing. I agree with MN-Brent, it's either a rear end mount bushing or a tranny mount bushing near the back of the tranny.

Also, if the car is at high idle the "thump" will become more pronounced. The car should idle at around 800 rpm if tuned right.

I'm also a fan of the CF system. IMHO it makes the '82 a special car.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:50 PM
SFL82VETTE
Intermediate

Thanks for your input. My neighbor is close friends with the owner of a Corvette shop here in southern Florida that he will be hooking me up with.

I will have him take a look at things and get whatever the issue is fixed. Other than that, the car really only needs a new paint job and she should be all good to go....

Originally Posted by 2TONE82
I posted on your other post but wanted to share my thoughts here on the CF and on the "thump" you are hearing. I agree with MN-Brent, it's either a rear end mount bushing or a tranny mount bushing near the back of the tranny.

Also, if the car is at high idle the "thump" will become more pronounced. The car should idle at around 800 rpm if tuned right.

I'm also a fan of the CF system. IMHO it makes the '82 a special car.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:51 PM
shaggyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12, '19, '21

You got one hell of a deal my friend. I paid $5,000 for my 82 back in 2001 and have put another $6,000 into it. Doesn't look like you are going to have to spend anywhere near that. Like you said, just a little TLC and it'll be fine. Good luck with it.

Dave

ps-please tell me you're going to lose the spoiler.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:47 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Unless there's a hidden problem and looking at the pictures you posted, you got one hell of a deal. Even the weather stripping isn't cracked. It goes to show you there are still deals out there. Congrats on your new purchase. I'll give you $2,100 for it...

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to Purchase 1982 Vette - Need Advice

Old 10-18-2008, 10:00 PM
SFL82VETTE
Intermediate

yeah..stripping is overall in pretty good condition, including the t-tops. No leaks.

Car runs great and smooth thru all the gears... just that 'u-joint' issue and a paint job and I think she is pretty much square. I will post some pics tomorrow of under the hood. That is pretty good shape as well. Some minor comestic and cleanup work needed there. May need some rubber lines/hoses replaced, I will know more once I can get under there and really look at things.

Originally Posted by RMVette
Unless there's a hidden problem and looking at the pictures you posted, you got one hell of a deal. Even the weather stripping isn't cracked. It goes to show you there are still deals out there. Congrats on your new purchase. I'll give you $2,100 for it...
Old 10-19-2008, 10:08 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Nice deal!!! Its most likely the U joints making that noise. Or worse case scenario one of the the yokes. Easy fix. The U joints and yokes on an 82 are a bit different then other years. Make sure you get the right ones.

Where are you located? I'm going to be in south Beach over Christmas.

Jim
Old 10-19-2008, 10:15 AM
SFL82VETTE
Intermediate

I am located in Ft. Lauderdale. Was done in south Beach area not too long ago... went down to that area for the Cheech and Chong concert....

south Beach is cool... enjoy your trip!

Originally Posted by jdp6000
Nice deal!!! Its most likely the U joints making that noise. Or worse case scenario one of the the yokes. Easy fix. The U joints and yokes on an 82 are a bit different then other years. Make sure you get the right ones.

Where are you located? I'm going to be in south Beach over Christmas.

Jim

Quick Reply: Looking to Purchase 1982 Vette - Need Advice