Sponsored by:

Where do the parts come from?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Mad Vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Where do the parts come from?

I wanted to buy an original heater core for my 71 convertible because as most people know it’s not an easy job to replace one. So I call Dr Rebuild, he advertises original Delco replacement heater cores. So I call him up on his regular phone # (heaven forbid you should call on his order line and ask them a question) and I ask him about the original Delco heater cores he has for sale and he informs me that all of the replacement heater cores for early Corvettes come from one company and they are all made in either Mexico or China. He said if you want one in a AC Delco box we can get you one but they all come from the same place a company called Transpro, I gathered from the jest of his comment that the heater cores in the Delco boxes are more expensive but are of the same quality as all of the others (man that guy is such a crank but that’s another post). So I hang up and I Google Transpro heater cores and there are all kinds of results and they are definitely suppliers of heater cores and radiators and they have on online catalog which list my heater core for my 71 and it has a picture of it with the GM parts # but you can't order directly from them. They sell their heater cores buy the brand name Ready Aires, and part of my search Rock auto parts comes up when I Google heater cores. So I go to their site and yes they have a heater core for my car with the same GM part number as Transpro but it is called a Proliance, another Google search and I find that Ready Aire is also sold under the Proliance name. So long story short as near as I can tell the only heater cores available for our cars unless you can find NOS are heater cores from this one supplier "Transpro" and they are sold in Delco boxes to all kinds of Corvette parts retailers.
Nice ending is that once I figure out that this is the only option available to me I buy from Rock auto parts which is right her in Madison WI and the parts is only $34.95, if anybody has any other info on heater cores I’d like to hear it.

Last edited by Mad Vette; 10-17-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My only statement is that I wish DeWitts would offer evaporators, heater cores, and condensers. Imagine having all three units, and the radiator...made from aluminum and made by one of the premiere craftsmen in the game.

Edit: Yeah DeWitts. Sorry.

Last edited by Durango_Boy; 10-17-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:20 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Dewitt's ?
Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Vette
I wanted to buy an original heater core for my 71 convertible because as most people know it’s not an easy job to replace one. So I call Dr Rebuild, he advertises original Delco replacement heater cores. So I call him up on his regular phone # (heaven forbid you should call on his order line and ask them a question) and I ask him about the original Delco heater cores he has for sale and he informs me that all of the replacement heater cores for early Corvettes come from one company and they are all made in either Mexico or China. He said if you want one in a AC Delco box we can get you one but they all come from the same place a company called Transpro, I gathered from the jest of his comment that the heater cores in the Delco boxes are more expensive but are of the same quality as all of the others (man that guy is such a crank but that’s another post). So I hang up and I Google Transpro heater cores and there are all kinds of results and they are definitely suppliers of heater cores and radiators and they have on online catalog which list my heater core for my 71 and it has a picture of it with the GM parts # but you can't order directly from them. They sell their heater cores buy the brand name Ready Aires, and part of my search Rock auto parts comes up when I Google heater cores. So I go to their site and yes they have a heater core for my car with the same GM part number as Transpro but it is called a Proliance, another Google search and I find that Ready Aire is also sold under the Proliance name. So long story short as near as I can tell the only heater cores available for our cars unless you can find NOS are heater cores from this one supplier "Transpro" and they are sold in Delco boxes to all kinds of Corvette parts retailers.
Nice ending is that once I figure out that this is the only option available to me I buy from Rock auto parts which is right her in Madison WI and the parts is only $34.95, if anybody has any other info on heater cores I’d like to hear it.
Dr Rebuild sure is cranky, but he knows his stuff and won't ever B.S. you. I find sometimes it's almost like he doesn't even want to sell you a part. I find it to be a refreshing approach compared to some of the others.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Mad Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by SilverDevil
Dr Rebuild sure is cranky, but he knows his stuff and won't ever B.S. you. I find sometimes it's almost like he doesn't even want to sell you a part. I find it to be a refreshing approach compared to some of the others.
Refreshing doesn't describe it for me but yes he must know the Corvette parts business his information led me to find the same part most of the vendors sale for less than half of the price. But he reminds me of this women that I deal with that runs the local cab company maintenance shop. She is not happy unless she is unhappy.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:24 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

If your end tanks are good you can have the center core replaced at a radiator shop.Its easy for a good shop to do and having your original end tanks should make it fit better going back in.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:36 PM
70Donnybrooke
Pro

Originally Posted by DWncchs
If your end tanks are good you can have the center core replaced at a radiator shop.Its easy for a good shop to do and having your original end tanks should make it fit better going back in.

This is what I did. They can pressure test it right away. Sometimes these new heater cores will leak and you do not find out until everything is back together.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Mad Vette
Pro

The inlet and outlet tubes were destroyed on my core when it was removed the heater hoses had actually welded them selfs on. So re-coring is not an option for me. But with replacement cost so low I don't think its worth it to have it re cored If I am worried about leakage I could have the new unit leak and pressure tested.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The inlet and outlet tubes were destroyed on my core when it was removed the heater hoses had actually welded them selfs on. So re-coring is not an option for me. But with replacement cost so low I don't think its worth it to have it re cored If I am worried about leakage I could have the new unit leak and pressure tested.

If the tanks are okay the tubes can be repaired.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:02 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

If I am worried about leakage I could have the new unit leak and pressure tested.
Good idea and you can do that yourself but if you have someone else do it,scrub the core real well and tap around on it a litttle to loosen any bad joints and run some water through it.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Mad Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Good idea and you can do that yourself but if you have someone else do it,scrub the core real well and tap around on it a litttle to loosen any bad joints and run some water through it.
Hey thanks for the advice I am anxious to see the new unit and compare it to the old.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:17 AM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Definitely take the new heater core to a rad shop & have it pressure tested and the tubes re-soldered. I didn't do this and ended up with anti-freeze all over the floor(good thing I didn't have the carpet in yet!). When I took the core back out, I found the solder joint on one of the tubes have come loose. Guy at the rad shop I took it to said he sees this quite often with replacement cores
Old 10-18-2008, 10:34 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Refreshing doesn't describe it for me but yes he must know the Corvette parts business his information led me to find the same part most of the vendors sale for less than half of the price. But he reminds me of this women that I deal with that runs the local cab company maintenance shop. She is not happy unless she is unhappy.
I do find it amusing that he has dubbed the NCRS the "No Correctly Restored Stingray" society.

Get notified of new replies

To Where do the parts come from?

Quick Reply: Where do the parts come from?