C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed my flopping outside mirrors today (Pics)

Old 12-08-2008, 08:52 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by GD70
Thanks Alan!
The stinkin gas was the worst part of the project. Even after I wiped it down outside, it still stunk up the house when I was washing it. The second one will be washed outside before I bring it in to do the repair. Wife wasn't too happy about it. Live & learn.
Glenn

I did both of my mirrors a couple of months ago. I used mineral spirits instead of gasoline and it worked fine. I didn't have enough room to insert the washer so I just used a punch and peened both rivets tight before using the JB Weld.

DC
Old 12-08-2008, 10:20 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DC3
I did both of my mirrors a couple of months ago. I used mineral spirits instead of gasoline and it worked fine. I didn't have enough room to insert the washer so I just used a punch and peened both rivets tight before using the JB Weld.

DC
If I have to ever do it again, I'll try mineral spirits, though when I was in art school, it stank as well.
Glenn
Old 05-09-2009, 02:22 PM
vintage-racer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post, can't wait to try this fix on my "speed sensitive" drivers mirror.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:42 PM
shmoky
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did my mirrors the same way this past winter also. Can't remember where I saw the instructions but they were the same. What a GREAT tip

I have my mirrors in the UP position or there is no vision over the rear humps.

shmoky
Old 05-09-2009, 05:25 PM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info GD70, nice write up. You are right many C3's have this problem and I just did 2 mirrors for my '73. Here's a few comments:

I used lacquer thinner to disolve the silicone holding the glass to the mirror housing. It soaked for 5 hours and the glass just fell off. It's safer than gasoline, and no risk of removing any of the silvering on either side of the glass.

After removing the glass I just peened over the rivets with a hammer while holding the mirror in my hand so I didn't damage the backside. Everything seems nice and tight now.

BTW...The mirror is suppose to be high side up. If you have your mirrors adjusted to see down the side of your car you are not optimizing the rear view and that fender hump is really in the way. Here's a way not to have any blind spots at all. As you drive down the road watch someone in your REAR view mirror who is slowly passing you. Adjust your side view mirror in such a way that, as they leave your rear view mirror they enter your side view mirror. As they leave your side view mirror they enter your peripheral vision and thus...no blind spots. You won't see the side of your car at all in this setting. If you have a wide angle passenger side view mirror you can adjust that to show down the side of the car and still get the same "no blind spot" setting.
The following users liked this post:
Dagious (11-23-2020)
Old 06-02-2010, 10:36 PM
warrior 1
Intermediate

I tried something that I read on this forum somewhere; you take the mirror off the car. Using a small punch, tap the ball in a few places. I didn't have to pull the mirror out of the frame and it worked great.

Jesse
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 PM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive faster and you won't have to worry about seeing anyone behind you. Just a vthought.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You have to send that thought through the "Way Back" machine. This thread is over 3 years old....
Old 03-16-2012, 10:26 AM
smilasm
Instructor

Perfect post,spend 1 hour for both mirrors.It works,moving hard.
Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

A drop of Rapidfix super Superglue will hold it in place - PERMANENTLY! Strongest super glue you will ever get your hand on. Make sure everything is lined up where you want it, because there is no moving anything after the glue dries, which is almost instantly. Have used it over and over again with unbelievable success.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Actually, I think the upside down mirrors look kinda cool!
I tuned mine down and I couldn't see nothing, they go up.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:29 PM
94LT4
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
They have to be up to get any kind of view over the rear fender. Even then it is marginal.

Why do you have to see the rear fenders in your mirror?

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/4234574
Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 657 Likes on 441 Posts

Bumping this for a spring time mirror repair...

vetfever
Old 04-05-2014, 08:49 PM
dgr72vette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drilled through mine (aftermarket mirror) and used button head machine screws (allens head) with lock washers and nuts....it's never coming loose again.....you can decide just how tight you really want it too !!!
Old 04-05-2014, 08:53 PM
dgr72vette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

... not worried about NCRS judging of course
Old 04-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Can I Sue?

Soaked the mirror overnight in gas, and got a suprise when I lifted it outta the pan this morning.

It's OK. The mirror's base had an alignment issue with the attaching Allen screw, as well as the floppy mirror deal. Weird though; it laid flat in the pool of gas, and outside San Diego temperature overnight.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:09 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 657 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by dgr72vette
... not worried about NCRS judging of course
Good practical solution....

Get notified of new replies

To Fixed my flopping outside mirrors today (Pics)

Old 04-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Konkol1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did this for my loose/floppy mirror this weekend. Soaked in lacquer thinner to remove mirror. Then I used "E" clips bought at local hardware store and wedged them between the rivet head and the metal spring that presses against the ball. I just pushed down on the spring and inserted the "E" clips in. I did not JB weld or use and other glue. Those "E" clips aren't going anywhere! The spring pressure is definitely going to hold them there forever. No chance of them coming out. Worked wonderful! Mirror nice and tight. So much better. Now to reinstall glass and then back on the car finish.
Dale
The following users liked this post:
Stingre' (08-03-2017)
Old 04-22-2014, 11:04 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 545 Likes on 374 Posts

The lazy man solution is to just buy new repro rear view mirrors! Uh..Oh..some of the repro mirrors are not interchangeable! A repro mirror may not fit/mate up to the khaki green fitting that is screwed up into your door skin. Replace the khaki green fitting with the repro equivalent...NOPE...the mounting holes in the door skin are of different diameter. Bottom line...a repro mirror may not fit.. Apparently there's at least two or more manufacturers making these things and they are not interchangeable. Repairing your mirrors may not be an option...it may be a necessity.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:08 AM
Swpeirce
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Cavu2u
Soaked the mirror overnight in gas, and got a suprise when I lifted it outta the pan this morning.

It's OK. The mirror's base had an alignment issue with the attaching Allen screw, as well as the floppy mirror deal. Weird though; it laid flat in the pool of gas, and outside San Diego temperature overnight.
Yup, mine did the same thing.. left it overnight with lots of optimism and woke up to a cracked mirror.
​​​​​​

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fixed my flopping outside mirrors today (Pics)