C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed my flopping outside mirrors today (Pics)

Old 12-07-2008, 07:54 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Fixed my flopping outside mirrors today (Pics)

A lot of Vettes have this problem. I used another forum members pdf step by step instructions I had printed out (sorry, can't remember who). Worked like a charm. Very easy and costs about a buck in gas and JB Weld.
First soaked in some gas in a plastic dish pan lined with foil for 24 hrs outside & covered, enough gas to cover the mirror part to loosen the silicon holding the mirror in place. The mirror was off when when I removed the cover.
Next, washed really well several times to remove the gas so the JB Weld will hold.
Here's some pics when still on the Vette. I had to keep them upside down so the wind at highway speed wouldn't blow them facing the ground. In this position you can see how low they are and rear view over the rear fenders isn't very good.

Here's the inside with the mirror removed. You'll need to remove any remaining silicone for reinstalling the mirror later.

Next I used a 1/64th thick washer and cut out a space with a Dremel and a cutting wheel to be able to fit around the rivet. You can also use some scrap metal you may have laying around as was used in the original instructions to cut the hole & slot.

I used small vice grips to hold & push the washer under the rivet, was a very tight fit, but there is a bit of give in the metal plate. Once in place it was like brand new and very snug and firm to move the mirror housing.

I then used the Dremel to rough up the rivet & washer surface so the JB Weld can bite the surface for a good bond.

b
Next apply the JB Weld generously.

I'll let the JB Weld cure for 48 hrs and the I"ll use RTV silicone to re-mount the mirror and it's done. Can't wait to "See" how much better and safer the rear view will be. Hope this helps anyone else out there with floppy mirrors.
Glenn
Old 12-07-2008, 09:32 PM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Excellent post! My mirror is doing the same thing, keeps flopping down everytime the door is closed. How did the finish on the back of the mirror hold up to the gasoline?

Steve
Old 12-07-2008, 09:50 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by imariver
Excellent post! My mirror is doing the same thing, keeps flopping down everytime the door is closed. How did the finish on the back of the mirror hold up to the gasoline?

Steve
I bought one from GM for $55. cheap crap I fixed my old one using this method it will tighten things up
Old 12-07-2008, 10:23 PM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Glenn,

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions w/ pics ... I like it.

I put a few drops of Permatex Threadlocker on my mirror pivot ball, and it tightened up significantly, but I don't know how long my method will last. It looks like your method will last a long time. If I have to tighten my mirror again, I'll be sure to use your method.

I have the same question as others ... did the gasoline have any affect on the silver on the back side of the mirror?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:31 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

The mirror is fine. Just washed it with lots of dish soap to get rid of the gas smell & residue. It's nice & tight now. The thing I like most is the price!

Glenn
Old 12-08-2008, 02:56 AM
dickey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I think the upside down mirrors look kinda cool!
Old 12-08-2008, 07:03 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Actually, I think the upside down mirrors look kinda cool!
I believe on a Corvette that IS the way the mirror is supposed to be. Compare to Nova, Camaro, etc and you will see the design is different, they are configured to be that way (either read that somewhere or pics from the period revealed it, not sure which).................
Old 12-08-2008, 08:17 AM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Either up, or down, you can't beat the look of dual mirrors. I have mine "up" otherwise I can't see past the humps.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by corvetteload
I believe on a Corvette that IS the way the mirror is supposed to be. Compare to Nova, Camaro, etc and you will see the design is different, they are configured to be that way (either read that somewhere or pics from the period revealed it, not sure which).................
No, it is suppose to be in the higher position. Here's a pic from the 70 sales brochure and you can clearly see the mirror is up, not lower in the upside down position.
Glenn
Old 12-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Kap142
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome tech artical. Just drug out two of my old mirrors to begin restoration on. Thanks very much
Old 12-08-2008, 12:07 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kap142
Awesome tech artical. Just drug out two of my old mirrors to begin restoration on. Thanks very much
No problem. It's fun to share with everyone.
Glenn
Old 12-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Great tip. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:48 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice work I'll have to file that away for future reference

Jim
Old 12-08-2008, 02:06 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

There's an article in a recent NCRS Restorere magazine on the same topic. In that repair, the rivets were drilled out, tapped, and screws were used in lieu of the rivets. (the screws held in the pressure strip)

I found out that car covers can be a culprit for damaging the mirrors. When you pull the covers off and the mirrors are still in the cover mirror pockets, pulling on the car cover can put pressure on the mirror and deflect the metal pressure strip inside..making it loose and the mirrors floppy.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:13 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
There's an article in a recent NCRS Restorere magazine on the same topic. In that repair, the rivets were drilled out, tapped, and screws were used in lieu of the rivets. (the screws held in the pressure strip)

I found out that car covers can be a culprit for damaging the mirrors. When you pull the covers off and the mirrors are still in the cover mirror pockets, pulling on the car cover can put pressure on the mirror and deflect the metal pressure strip inside..making it loose and the mirrors floppy.
Good tip re car covers. Hadn't ever thought about that issue.
Glenn
Old 12-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Glenn,
Very nice useful pictures and description. Thanks!
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-08-2008, 05:25 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Glenn,
Very nice useful pictures and description. Thanks!
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan!
The stinkin gas was the worst part of the project. Even after I wiped it down outside, it still stunk up the house when I was washing it. The second one will be washed outside before I bring it in to do the repair. Wife wasn't too happy about it. Live & learn.
Glenn

Get notified of new replies

To Fixed my flopping outside mirrors today (Pics)

Old 12-08-2008, 05:32 PM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GD70
No, it is suppose to be in the higher position. Here's a pic from the 70 sales brochure and you can clearly see the mirror is up, not lower in the upside down position.
Glenn
I guess it's personal preference, pg 10 of the Vette Vues fact book clearly shows a 68 in the down position, but elsewhere it is up in the 70's models. Maybe originally intended to be down but when they realized vision was restricted, they flipped them up!?!?!?!?!?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteload
I guess it's personal preference, pg 10 of the Vette Vues fact book clearly shows a 68 in the down position, but elsewhere it is up in the 70's models. Maybe originally intended to be down but when they realized vision was restricted, they flipped them up!?!?!?!?!?
They have to be up to get any kind of view over the rear fender. Even then it is marginal.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:07 PM
400hp427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

cool idea Thanks for post I will be trying this myself this winter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fixed my flopping outside mirrors today (Pics)