C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update to my floppy mirror repair FYI & (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:34 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Update to my floppy mirror repair FYI & (pics)

I did the pass side mirror first, all went fine, gas had no effect on the glass. When I soaked the driver side mirror, the silicone pulled some of the silvering and black paint off the mirror back. The pass mirror was different in that the glass itself was tinted and the silver was embedded in the glass.
I brought the damaged mirror to a local glass service store and he gave me a replacement mirror that was like the right side mirror. They had a book with every make & model car, and the shelve was stacked with them! He said the old damaged mirror was illegal because it was too reflective and could possibly blind someone at night when headlights reflected in it. Also to have it re-silvered could cost 300 bucks!
The new mirror lets some light pass through it cutting down on the reflective glare. The same as the right mirror.
The new mirror cost 25 bucks, still cheaper then replacing the whole mirror assembly.
Just something good to know if you do this repair.
Glenn
The damaged mirror and new mirror.

Damaged & new.

You can see how the light passes through the new mirror.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip and the info. I have the floppy mirror on my 73 and need to do something about it. I might try looking for another solvent to remove the glass from the housing.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:37 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bobz08C6
Thanks for the tip and the info. I have the floppy mirror on my 73 and need to do something about it. I might try looking for another solvent to remove the glass from the housing.
I'm not sure if the solvent will make much difference. You can use mineral spirits also. It was the silicone that pulled it away as it loosened. I never touched the surface with anything sharp. Only my fingers.
Glenn
Old 12-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Glenn,
That's a pretty interesting discovery. I had no idea that the reflective qualities had been changed. But now that I think about it, the car behind doesn't blind me like they did years ago.
Nice little project you did. Thanks!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-10-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Kap142
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Based on this awesome tech artical I have, in two days done two repro side view mirrors. They're even easier because thier are two Phillps head screws that hold the plate that restricts movement in place.

I soaked the heads off, with no problem and then did a washer build up (one rubber, glued to two thin steel washers) screwed them in place and used red loctite.

Fantastic end results.

I think I now have side view mirrors for life. You guys are great. My endless thanks

Ken
Old 12-10-2008, 05:23 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Glenn,
That's a pretty interesting discovery. I had no idea that the reflective qualities had been changed. But now that I think about it, the car behind doesn't blind me like they did years ago.
Nice little project you did. Thanks!
Regards,
Alan
Who wudda-thunk?! You can imagine my surprise when I lifted the 2nd mirror away from the gas and discovered the difference & damage.
Now I can't wait to get them back on the car and get the proper rear view.
Glenn
Old 12-10-2008, 05:25 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kap142
Hey guys,

Based on this awesome tech artical I have, in two days done two repro side view mirrors. They're even easier because thier are two Phillps head screws that hold the plate that restricts movement in place.

I soaked the heads off, with no problem and then did a washer build up (one rubber, glued to two thin steel washers) screwed them in place and used red loctite.

Fantastic end results.

I think I now have side view mirrors for life. You guys are great. My endless thanks

Ken
Cool! I wonder how many vendors are making these, some with rivets, and others with screws.
Glenn

Get notified of new replies

To Update to my floppy mirror repair FYI & (pics)

Quick Reply: Update to my floppy mirror repair FYI & (pics)