Sponsored by:

Rebuild calipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Rebuild calipers

I was thinking about rebuilding my brake calipers. The car has been sitting for over 2 years while I save up some money for a new crate motor. I would like to remove my calipers, clean them up and paint them. I thought I would rebuild them while I have them off the car. Is this a big deal to do? TIA
Old 12-25-2008, 04:05 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on your mechanical ability, no it's not too hard. I would do 1 caliper at a time, if this is your first time doing it. I did 1 of mine right before a car show, it still isn't leaking, so it worked well. I now have all new seals, pistons, and O rings. As soon as I get the heat-A/C projsect done, that's the next on the list.

You will get a few people to tell you the way to go is to change them for new O ring stainless steel sleeved calipers. I like to fix a problem, not replace it. I'm a mechanic, not a R&R person.

R&R = remove and replace

BBTank

Last edited by BigBlockTank; 12-26-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:08 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You can rebuild them yourself - it isn't hard. I did it myself for the first time, pretty easy.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:38 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I have rebuilt the calipers on my vette before. It is pretty easy and straight forward. There is a small o ring between the caliper halves that you need to pay attention to. Otherwise, taking off the old parts, cleaning out the insides of the calipers and putting in new rubber parts and seals is an easy thing to do.

I also painted mine while they were apart. I masked of the inside so that I did not get paint in the bores, and they came out great.

kdf
Old 12-25-2008, 11:41 PM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

listen!!!! they worked before you came along and they worked after. rebuild em and they will work for another 15 plus years!! and....youll have extra money in your pocket for that crown air freshiner you always wanted
Old 12-26-2008, 06:52 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I had a lot of problems with the calibers on my 79, I replaced them with stainless sleaved 'O'ring caliber from Vett Brakes & products and never had another problem. Only my $0.02
Old 12-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks to all, I will rebuild them myself. As suggested I will do one at a time, I am in no hurry. I might even get the halves powder coated.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:34 AM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Powder coating will make them look great. Just dont powder coat the bores.

kdf
Old 12-26-2008, 04:53 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Richard Cooper
Thanks to all, I will rebuild them myself. As suggested I will do one at a time, I am in no hurry. I might even get the halves powder coated.

I would suggest that if you do the powder coat route, do a fron and a rear at the same time. That way you still a "chinese blueprint"(as we call it at work when we have to walk out to look at what we're working on, on thte plane). Save yourself a little time too.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:59 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Rebuild them yourself only if they have been previously SS sleeved. If they're not sleeved, don't bother.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:05 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KapsSA
Rebuild them yourself only if they have been previously SS sleeved. If they're not sleeved, don't bother.

Why not bother? I don't have $6-800 to spend on my brakes right now. I just want a brake that works as good asa they did in 1969. Is that a no-no? I understand technology is out there, but was 69 technology that bad that it all has to be replaced?
I am trying to envoke an answer, not an attitude, honest, I'd like your point of view. I've done the same thing for so long, maybe I need to learn something else, or in this case, maybe a better way. Thanks, Tank
Old 12-26-2008, 05:17 PM
cvnobles
Advanced

I think he was trying to say that if the calipers you have the ss sleeves in them they will last if you rebuild them. If they dont have the ss sleeves in them it will eat the seal right back out because the bores inside the calipers will be pitted. I am researching this now also, and have been told auto zone has calipers already rebuilt for $60 (with core) ea, and have stainless sleeves in them
Hope this helps
Old 12-26-2008, 05:25 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

The bores are simply cast iron and rust. Would need a lot of honeing to get out any pits.
I had original calipers on all 4 of my low mile Vettes when I purchased each of them. Upon disassembly when leaks first developed the bores were pretty bad.
Had 2 original sets sleeved and rebuilt years ago, but have since even needed to rebuild a couple of them. Even the SS sleeves need honeing sometimes.
I just don't think it's worth messing with the porous cast iron.

Odds are, most nicer condition C3s on the road today have the sleeves now anyway.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:28 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cvnobles
I think he was trying to say that if the calipers you have the ss sleeves in them they will last if you rebuild them. If they dont have the ss sleeves in them it will eat the seal right back out because the bores inside the calipers will be pitted. I am researching this now also, and have been told auto zone has calipers already rebuilt for $60 (with core) ea, and have stainless sleeves in them
Hope this helps
OK, my bad. I forgot to mention inspecting the bores. I already rebuilt 1 of mine and all that was wrong, was a bad seal, and really bad rusty sludge inside. The piston was corroded too. I have all the parts to rebuild all 4, just as soon as I get done with heat and a/c stuff, waiting on parts and stuff.

There is no way I'm giving up a set of calipers to anybody other than a Covette parts rebuilder. Mine are the original ones.

I think I'd go to Auto Zone and check one of these calipers out, befoer I spent my money.

I'm still gonna rebuild mine, and fix any problems that present themselves.

I can make airplanes fly mach 3+, I can fix Corvette brakes, I'm sure!!
Old 12-26-2008, 05:34 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KapsSA
The bores are simply cast iron and rust. Would need a lot of honeing to get out any pits.
I had original calipers on all 4 of my low mile Vettes when I purchased each of them. Upon disassembly when leaks first developed the bores were pretty bad.
Had 2 original sets sleeved and rebuilt years ago, but have since even needed to rebuild a couple of them. Even the SS sleeves need honeing sometimes.
I just don't think it's worth messing with the porous cast iron.

Odds are, most nicer condition C3s on the road today have the sleeves now anyway.

So, there is trouble either way, is that what you're saying? Trouble is trouble, stainless steel or pourous cast iron.

Now, why would I spend money for SS if they, too, have to be worked, just as cast iron? Again, trying to learn.

BTW, the one caliper that I rebuilt had no pit in the bores. Wiped clean.

(I've been told my C3 is one of the nicer examples on the road, and at shows, so I'm not in the "odds are".)
Old 12-26-2008, 05:37 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

I also flush my brakes every 4 years(one Vette a year).
First time I did each one you can't imagine the crap that came out.
My 78 Pace Car with only 25 miles on it(yeah, one of those)promptly started leaking from 2 calipers after the first flushing back in 2000. Cast iron bores were ridged from the rust. Not a leak since rebuilding them with SS sleeves.
I've rebuilt all 4 calipers on my black79 that I've had for 25 years even tho they were sleeved back in the early 90s.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:46 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Muskegon Brakes redid my original calipers. Actually I believe they send em to Lone Star for rebuilding.
I believe they now charge $80 each with about a month turn around.
My problem is lack of use. My Vettes have a better chance of brake problems than one that is driven daily.
Moisture is the enemy! And the rubber just deteriorates over time, but with the SS sleeves it's just less of a problem rebuilding after a leak.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuild calipers

Old 12-26-2008, 05:48 PM
cvnobles
Advanced

There is no way I'm giving up a set of calipers to anybody other than a Covette parts rebuilder. Mine are the original ones.
I think I'd go to Auto Zone and check one of these calipers out, befoe I spent my money

I would want to keep my originals also. I have never had alot of luck with rebuilt auto zone parts from past experiences. Not saying (for all the AZ fans) those are not ok, but I would still keep my originals, and rebuild those if they were ss lined.

Last edited by cvnobles; 12-26-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:54 PM
cvnobles
Advanced

Has anyone tried the silicone brake fluid? I have been told it is good for the moisture problem, but will not perform as well under extreme braking conditions (fluid will compress).
Old 12-26-2008, 06:02 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cvnobles
Has anyone tried the silicone brake fluid? I have been told it is good for the moisture problem, but will not perform as well under extreme braking conditions (fluid will compress).
DOT 4, I don't think it's worth the time, money and effort. My son works for a really good race car/hot rod shop in town. He gave me 3 or 4 reasons why not to do it, and I forgot. Going to DOT 5 is not worth it either, IMHO.
I'm staying with DOT 3.

Quick Reply: Rebuild calipers