Sponsored by:

What's a 1977 l-48 worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:12 PM
timbuck
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What's a 1977 l-48 worth?

I was wondering if some of you veteran Vette owners could tell me what you think a 77' L-48 350 with automatic and 111,000 miles is worth. I found one on the Denver Craig's list for $7000.00 or best offer. It says it is a good daily driver. What are some of the pros of buying a 77' over a 75' or 76'? How much more is it worth if it was an L-82. I would appreciate if you could give some valuable info as I have never owned a C-3 and just want to make sure I'm not getting into something that will cost way more than it's worth once it's restored.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 12:58 PM
SignMan59
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timbuck
I was wondering if some of you veteran Vette owners could tell me what you think a 77' L-48 350 with automatic and 111,000 miles is worth. I found one on the Denver Craig's list for $7000.00 or best offer. It says it is a good daily driver. What are some of the pros of buying a 77' over a 75' or 76'? How much more is it worth if it was an L-82. I would appreciate if you could give some valuable info as I have never owned a C-3 and just want to make sure I'm not getting into something that will cost way more than it's worth once it's restored.

Thanks
7000.00 is fair if its decent. These cars arent worth squat really as an investment. at least with a '75 you can get a convertible, and not that you asked, but thats what i'd recommend as long as you like the verts, AND if you want to get your money back after you play with it a few years.

Its probably a turd, most of these are. But you never know. Check it out. L82 adds a little, but frankly sir....the market is so down right now, I would find a NICE car and deal on it.

One last thing....the floorboards on the 77 will burn your feet. Gonna need one of those shield kits thats goes under the carpet, unless you want to bake.

Bottom line: DONT settle for a turd, or be bashful when it comes to an offer. You can swim in the sea of cars for sale right now.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Atrium512
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line: DONT settle for a turd, or be bashful when it comes to an offer. You can swim in the sea of cars for sale right now. [/QUOTE]
Old 01-25-2009, 01:42 PM
TMU
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '15, '17

The price depends on how much work the car needs now or if it is in decent condition. A cheap paint job is $1,500 and a good one double or tripple that much. If you look at it and it passes intial inspection, then have a mechanic or someone who knows these cars go over it. Also make sure the thing is not rusty. Better to spend $150 to get it checked out so you know what you're buying.

I could see maybe $800 more in value if that car was an L82, plus a 4sp would also be more desirable. If your area requires emission testing make sure you know what has been removed from the car and how much $$$ to make it pass.

I've had two 77's, but don't recall any heat issues from the floorboard. Like the SignMan said, it's more of buyer's market now so don't settle for junk just to get a Vette. There are also plenty of sellers who refuse to accept the reality of the recent price decline. I guess they can sit on them or use them as lawn ornaments.

And unless you really want to spend time turning wrenches buy the best car you can afford at the start.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Sebago Shark
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

111,000 miles may not sound like much on a 31 year old car, but so many of these cars got little use over the years. You might be able to find one in the 60 - 70 K range for not much more $. A lot depends on how much of its life has been spent sitting outdoors, also. I don't know about out west but here they become fertalizer pretty quick. A garaged high mile car would be a great deal at that price. Are you settling for an automatic or is that what you want?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:10 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not much!!!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:42 AM
JohnRP
3rd Gear

Default 1977 corvette worth

I came across a 1977 corvette sitting in one of my client's driveways that will need some serious work (paint, interior, etc) It has been sitting for some time and has 60k miles. what would be a fair amount to offer?
Old 09-28-2017, 12:22 PM
pbigpig
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnRP
I came across a 1977 corvette sitting in one of my client's driveways that will need some serious work (paint, interior, etc) It has been sitting for some time and has 60k miles. what would be a fair amount to offer?
It's impossible to say without thoroughly looking everything over. So many factors go into pricing these cars. If the frame and birdcage are rusted out, with the car needing paint and a new interior, it's likely not worth much more than scrap or parts. It takes a lot of time and money to make a lawn ornament something you can enjoy!!
The following users liked this post:
JohnRP (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 12:25 PM
JohnRP
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pbigpig
It's impossible to say without thoroughly looking everything over. So many factors go into pricing these cars. If the frame and birdcage are rusted out, with the car needing paint and a new interior, it's likely not worth much more than scrap or parts. It takes a lot of time and money to make a lawn ornament something you can enjoy!!
Thanks for your reply, Ill check under to see if there is any rust. I figured it wouldn't be worth much but wanted to make sure I was not being unfair
Old 09-28-2017, 12:28 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Might want to post a new thread in the C3 General area. In your post, you need pictures, etc.. The market fluctuation between a car to run away from vs. one to buy varies greatly.

Here's the thing, if it needs new paint. Figure 7-10k for a solid paint job alone. Many places don't want to deal with fiberglass and the bonding strips, etc.. I ran into that when I went through a repaint 12 years ago.

Then if it didn't need anything else (interior, suspension, rust issues, mechanical), you're looking at a car that is maybe worth 15k in great condition. That will probably scare you away or maybe make you re-think unless you get that car super cheap. Many of us on here would probably give you the advice to buy the nicest car you can find/afford. Otherwise you'll be upside down by a lot like many of us out here. Unless of course you want a big project and have a good amount of time/money.

Start with a new thread and add lots of pictures and we'll help you out here and give you an idea.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:30 PM
JohnRP
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by raydog9379
Might want to post a new thread in the C3 General area. In your post, you need pictures, etc.. The market fluctuation between a car to run away from vs. one to buy varies greatly.

Here's the thing, if it needs new paint. Figure 7-10k for a solid paint job alone. Many places don't want to deal with fiberglass and the bonding strips, etc.. I ran into that when I went through a repaint 12 years ago.

Then if it didn't need anything else (interior, suspension, rust issues, mechanical), you're looking at a car that is maybe worth 15k in great condition. That will probably scare you away or maybe make you re-think unless you get that car super cheap. Many of us on here would probably give you the advice to buy the nicest car you can find/afford. Otherwise you'll be upside down by a lot like many of us out here. Unless of course you want a big project and have a good amount of time/money.

Start with a new thread and add lots of pictures and we'll help you out here and give you an idea.
Thank you, Ill try to get back over there soon to get pictures and I will post them
Old 09-28-2017, 12:31 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for your reply, Ill check under to see if there is any rust. I figured it wouldn't be worth much but wanted to make sure I was not being unfair
If the owner will let you, unscrew the kick panels in the drivers and passenger footwells closest to the doors. Literally 1 screw on each side. Take pictures of the front/back/etc.. If there is a good amount of rust and/or rusty flakes, then it is likely to need a new or massively repaired birdcage.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:37 PM
Devs77
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

I recently had mine appraised in Denver. It's a 77 non-numbers matching car that needs a lot of love. It has a 4 speed manual in it and aside from the replacement engine is pretty original. Only surface rust and the birdcage looks pretty good. (No rust flakes when I close the doors, etc.) It appraised at $5000, so I'd guess that $7000 for an automatic car in the Denver area is a little aggressive unless it's really nice or numbers matching and only needing minor cosmetic work. If the OP is in the Denver area, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to meet up/chat.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:44 PM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Thread from the dead!!! The OP posted this in 2009 and then JohnRP tagged on to it today with his own question about a 77.

Last edited by Revi; 09-28-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:48 PM
Devs77
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Oops, my bad! I should have looked at the date.....LOL!
Old 09-28-2017, 01:00 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

If you have a separate question, please start your own thread rather than post it in the middle of someone else's, thanks.

Old thread anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To What's a 1977 l-48 worth?

Quick Reply: What's a 1977 l-48 worth?