Old 10-04-2015, 08:12 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Here are pics from Bloomington Gold 2005. I was there early when they were taking a break from setting up. I sat in it. The keys were in it. The doors to the outside were open. I so wanted to steal it but the angel on one shoulder beat out the devil on the other.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:07 PM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by acesaroundagain
I was one of the owner's of the ZL1 in Richmond, VA from June 73 to June 74. I also worked at Hechler Chevrolet in Richmond when the ZL 1 was sold and did set for a few months because "no car is worth more than $10,000" they said. The MSRP was a little over 10 grand and sold for around $7800 AS IS, yes, no warranty. And they were relieved to get it. John Zagos blew the engine the same weekend he bought it but the factory rep came to Richmond and agreed to replace the engine even though it was sold without a warranty. I can remember Zagos spending hours with the GM at Hechler bitching about the motor. I can tell you some tales about the car if anyone is interested.

What a great car, history and story. Would love to hear more stories.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:20 PM
acesaroundagain
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More on the ZL1

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
Being a native of Richmond, and now residing about 5 miles from the former Hechler Chevrolet, I too would love to hear more about the car!
The way the car is restored is not the way the car was sold. The side pipes on it now are stock Corvette side pipes from that year. The ZL1 had bright shiny chrome pipes. The wheels were not stock Corvette wells but bright chrome mag wheels. The car was deadly fast. I drove it before it was sold just to test it. (As a side note, I also test drove the first 454/450 horse Chevelle that arrived at Hechler Chev. It would turn 11's right outta the box.) When I owned the ZL1 the all aluminum engine was gone and so was Grandma's caprice 454 that the initial owner had installed. In it's place was a 427/435 engine. Way fast, but not the ZL1 engine. Aside from that the suspension on the car was unbelievable. It would take corners like you were driving a go cart. And the brakes, wow, they were twice the size of stock Corvette brakes and they could stop you as fast as the engine propelled you. You can ask any of my old friends that got a joy ride with me. Let's just say they were a little petrified.
Speaking of that I myself was petrified when I let a well known NASCAR driver try the car out in 1973 when the driver's came to Richmond. They stayed at the then Holiday Inn across from my Dad's garage. At any rate, Bobby Allison saw the car and came over to take a closer look. I asked him if he wanted to take it for a spin and he said sure. We jumped in and away we went. I only think we touched the ground twice, once when he floored it and the second time when he stopped! Man could he drive. I still remember that ride like it was yesterday. I ended up being an honorary pit crew member for that race. Great times.
I've attached an old pic so you can see what the car used to look like.
Ok, I seem to be a little long winded. I hope yall don't mind.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
mooncricket (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 08:39 AM
acesaroundagain
Cruising

Default Stripe

Originally Posted by Rowdy Rat
Me too.

One thing I'd really like to know is if the car had that black stripe across the nose when Hechler received the car from GM.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Yes it did. Only the ZL1 Vettes had it.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:05 PM
69L46
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23

The way the car is restored is not the way the car was sold. The side pipes on it now are stock Corvette side pipes from that year. The ZL1 had bright shiny chrome pipes. The wheels were not stock Corvette wells but bright chrome mag wheels. The car was deadly fast. I drove it before it was sold just to test it. (As a side note, I also test drove the first 454/450 horse Chevelle that arrived at Hechler Chev. It would turn 11's right outta the box.) When I owned the ZL1 the all aluminum engine was gone and so was Grandma's caprice 454 that the initial owner had installed. In it's place was a 427/435 engine. Way fast, but not the ZL1 engine. Aside from that the suspension on the car was unbelievable. It would take corners like you were driving a go cart. And the brakes, wow, they were twice the size of stock Corvette brakes and they could stop you as fast as the engine propelled you. You can ask any of my old friends that got a joy ride with me. Let's just say they were a little petrified.
Speaking of that I myself was petrified when I let a well known NASCAR driver try the car out in 1973 when the driver's came to Richmond. They stayed at the then Holiday Inn across from my Dad's garage. At any rate, Bobby Allison saw the car and came over to take a closer look. I asked him if he wanted to take it for a spin and he said sure. We jumped in and away we went. I only think we touched the ground twice, once when he floored it and the second time when he stopped! Man could he drive. I still remember that ride like it was yesterday. I ended up being an honorary pit crew member for that race. Great times.
Quite a story! Do you recall how much you paid for it at the time, and why you decided to sell?
Old 10-06-2015, 12:39 AM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Yes it did. Only the ZL1 Vettes had it.
Any more pics?
Old 10-06-2015, 08:23 AM
acesaroundagain
Cruising

Originally Posted by 69L46
Quite a story! Do you recall how much you paid for it at the time, and why you decided to sell?
I paid $3500 for the car and sold it a year later for $3400 and was so happy I did. The car was great looking and fast but not reliable. It was broke half the time I owned it. It overheated constantly, had electrical gremlins (it would cut off while you were driving it) and basically couldn't be trusted on the road.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:24 AM
acesaroundagain
Cruising

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
Any more pics?
No more pics, I just found that one I forgot I had.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:06 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

ok,what about the car at ''muscle car city'' in punta gorda,fla
Old 10-07-2015, 10:26 AM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts

Thank you for sharing your story with us
Old 10-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

That is cool. You win the internet today!

Jebby
Old 10-19-2015, 07:05 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

Just thought I'd bring this up for anyone wanting to read a little more about the 69 ZL-1.There's an interesting article in the 1980 March issue of Vette Vues Magazine(vol 8,#9).The serial# was 29219,also tells about the diff between the l-88 and ZL-1 engine components(aside from aluminum and iron block,plus a little history and pics.It was written by W. Walker.It also has a pic of the order copy with options so you should be able to figure out the cost.It also shows on the order copy the hand written # which matches the serial #

Quick Reply: 1969 ZL-1 Previous Owner Story.....