Sponsored by:

1981 Corvette Daytona Restoration

Old 02-25-2009, 08:22 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I just can't find the right words...
Before I read your post...those were my words...
Old 02-26-2009, 09:54 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Nice project! If that was my car, I would try to make it as close to the original Daytonas, appearance-wise: http://www.greenwoodcorvettes.com/StreetDaytona.html

And then stick cool twin turbo LSX motor and 6-speed in it. Some new seats, Autometer gauges and lots of hard driving!
Forgeline makes cool new wheels that kinda look like the ones they used on the original Daytonas, they make them up to 19" diameter and 13" wide. So putting original looking modern forged wheels and quality tires would also be on my list...
Keep us posted!

Last edited by groovyjay; 02-26-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:21 AM
79L48
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as style goes, it is to each their own. I am very interested on your project of this car... I bet with some good planning you may be able to create some relevance in this design by working on some key details. Best of luck, and keep posting.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:52 AM
bastet94
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Groovyjay
I had to register here. I saw the picture that you posted and that is my fathers car and him standing there. His is awesome. He has #3 and he bought it from a guy that did not now what the corvette was. It is an awesome addition to our corvette family!!
Old 10-31-2009, 11:17 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by bastet94
Hey Groovyjay
I had to register here. I saw the picture that you posted and that is my fathers car and him standing there. His is awesome. He has #3 and he bought it from a guy that did not now what the corvette was. It is an awesome addition to our corvette family!!
Your Dad's car is an awesome addition to your Corvette family (or any Corvette family for that matter) and it looks great! Can you tell us about it? Any more pictures?

Last edited by 3JsVette; 10-31-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:44 AM
bastet94
2nd Gear

Sure! I would be happy to include some pics and any info you need
Pics will come soon
Old 10-31-2009, 01:54 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bastet94
Hey Groovyjay
Would you happen to have any more photos of it? I just drool over that photo every time!
Old 05-26-2013, 12:29 AM
FirePhage
4th Gear

Ok, not to sound like a douche or anything, but I had a model kit of this body mod back when I was a teen, and just drooled over it. Now that I am an adult, and finally ready to buy my way into the Corvette spectrum, i'd REALLY like to know about this body type, and anything relevant to it. The model kit i had was second hand to me, so i had/have no idea where it came from or what it was about. Can someone do me a favor and provide some info about it- from this thread, all I can garner is that its some kind of "daytona" mod/package, and that there were only a handful of these made. Gawd they're sexy! thanks in advance

and please, more pics!!!!!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by FirePhage
Ok, not to sound like a douche or anything, but I had a model kit of this body mod back when I was a teen, and just drooled over it. Now that I am an adult, and finally ready to buy my way into the Corvette spectrum, i'd REALLY like to know about this body type, and anything relevant to it. The model kit i had was second hand to me, so i had/have no idea where it came from or what it was about. Can someone do me a favor and provide some info about it- from this thread, all I can garner is that its some kind of "daytona" mod/package, and that there were only a handful of these made. Gawd they're sexy! thanks in advance

and please, more pics!!!!!
Since Gordoe hasn't been around since August 2009, I doubt you hear anything from him.

John Greenwood designed the body to compete in IMSA racing in the '70s to compete with the factory back Porsches. The body was designed to keep the car on the track at 200 mph and to not make it a brick in the wind.

Eckler's was licensed to build kits for this for customized street cars.

Normally, 3 year old threads like this are left alone, and a new one started. However, you'd have to copy a lot out of this one to a new one in order to get anyone to understand what you were after.

If you do a search for "John Greenwood" on the Internet, you will find a lot of amazing information.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:05 AM
richard emmanuel
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default daytona

heres a link to my 77 daytona
http://daytimedaytonapics.shutterfly.com/#n_3
Old 05-26-2013, 08:45 PM
FirePhage
4th Gear

Thanks guys, for all the info!

@Richard- that is a beautiful ride!

One more question, if I may, and please don't go a-hatin on me for it! lol...

Is there anyone making body kits of these for those who would like to make our vettes look like one of the daytonas? I looked on ecklers, but a quick search showed nothing, maybe i missed it?

Thanks again!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

It will look awesome with the right paint job and less emblems. If you can tone it down and bring everything down to a more subtle level, then the wild body kit won't look as dated.

Good Luck, Les
Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default I am curious as to the rear suspension type!

Does it have this one the CVC-Apex or the Greenwood A-arm suspension????

Old 05-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Chappie
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by groovyjay
Nice project! If that was my car, I would try to make it as close to the original Daytonas, appearance-wise: http://www.greenwoodcorvettes.com/StreetDaytona.html

And then stick cool twin turbo LSX motor and 6-speed in it. Some new seats, Autometer gauges and lots of hard driving!
Forgeline makes cool new wheels that kinda look like the ones they used on the original Daytonas, they make them up to 19" diameter and 13" wide. So putting original looking modern forged wheels and quality tires would also be on my list...
Keep us posted!

I'd just about say DITTO to this comment. Put her as close to oriignal as possible. I love Greenwood C3s.

Chappie

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1981 Corvette Daytona Restoration