Horn honking and TheycallmeDave

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Horn honking and TheycallmeDave

I wanted to respond to your post to me, but since Jon's for sale thread has already been stomped on, probably beyond repair, I'm starting this thread here:

Originally Posted by TheycallmeDave
Reply: No drugs on my end ; whats behind your apathy and vile name calling ? I dont talk that way about you as a fellow Hobbiest.
Reading comprehension is a good thing. I didn't call anyone a name, vile or otherwise.

REPLY: Youve used your Horn plenty of times to warn someone whos pulled out in front of you, who hasnt seen you coming, toward a Pedestrian who isnt looking , and/or a wandering car or truck on the highway whos alongside your car.
I have? How do you know this? Are you omniscient? More likely you are the kind of guy who drives down the road honking your horn at everyone around you, and you assume everyone else drives that way. Well, Dave, you're wrong. I rarely use my horn. In fact, I used it this weekend for probably the most common reason I use it: I was at a light that turned green, but the person in front of me didn't go, so I gave them a little "toot" so that they would look up and see that it is time to go. When I see a pedestrian wandering toward the street, looking like they are going to cross, I slow down or stop to let them go. There is no sense honking my horn at them. When someone pulls out in front of me, why would I honk my horn at them? They are now driving down the road in front of me, I just keep going. Cars "wandering along side me" are cars that I either pass, and let get small in my rearview mirror, or slow down for them to let them on, again, no sense honking.

If you cant figure out how a non working horn can contribute to a motorists death , then you shouldnt be driving because the importance of a functioning horn is so elementary to proper driving . Plus, it is clearly mentioned in every Rules of the Road book across the U.S.
If you can't figure out how to drive down the road safely without blaring your horn every time you percieve some risk to a pedestrian or other motorist, I for one would appreciate it if you would just stay home. Also, if you can't figure out what a "for sale" thread is for, maybe you should refrain from posting in that forum.

Start caring more and become a more mature driver by understanding the elementary purpose of a car horn and how a non functioning horn DOES lead to injuries and death.
That's a joke, right? How would you know how much I care? How would you know how mature of a driver I am?

Do i have to do a google search to give you sample cases of people whos been in accidents/deaths due to a broken horn ?!
Yeah, sure, knock yourself out! While your doing that, I'll be

Last edited by Derrick Reynolds; 06-22-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:36 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea about the previous thread. However I will say that a working horn is quite important as part of a devensive driving plan. If you are driving down the road and the person in the lane next to you does not see you because of the blind spot in his mirror, and starts moving over quickly, and there is someone in the other lane next to you, what do you do without a horn. If you say slow down, so he can get over, that will not always work because he may be getting over to fast. If you say, slam on your brakes, what will that do to the car behind you.

So again, I would say a horn is very important!!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Mister'76
Heel & Toe

I agree with PK, though there are times you have to use your horn and a working horn is absolutely necessary in any car.

Side note: I almost never side with anyone from Jersey on any subject relating to driving. Driving through Jersey and Massachusetts is the most terrifying thing I’ve ever done. Do you guys even have road laws?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:00 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

No one thinks a horn is not important. What started this is he suggested a fellow Forum member fix his horn before selling his car. The seller and some of the rest of us did not find it to be a big deal. He promptly went into rants about the seller having no integrity, it's illegal, that it means he's probably "hiding other things" and repeatedly screamed about the impending deaths of possible buyers of the car. It's over the top, completely unrealistic and at some points, insulting to some people.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

A functioning horn is of course a safety feature. But if the car is being sold "as is" and its flaws disclosed to the best of the ability of the seller I do not see a problem. The essential safety flaws will have to remedied by the buyer before a road worthiness check/certificate, plating, and seeing the public streets in any case....If the buyer agrees to purchase under these circumstances then it is a legitimate transaction. What am I missing with this thread?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:15 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Check Jon Hekking's '81 for sale thread... unbelievable reading.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Mister'76
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Check Jon Hekking's '81 for sale thread... unbelievable reading.
Ah now this thread makes much more sense!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:19 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

ok... got to chim in on this one!! ... I hate it when someone wants to be the "cop".... so I agree with the OP on this thread... it seems someone always want to tell everyone else how to drive or whatever... My horn works great.... I know this because I have to honk at all those Ferraris to get out of my way!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

....big mistake starting this thread

Get notified of new replies