1969 what is this guy thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:07 PM
400hp427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09
Default 1969 what is this guy thinking?

Is this guy for real, This asking price is just nuts. I think 5k would be the highest he could get. I think this guy is nuts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 08-11-2009, 11:14 PM
724544SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like they just hauled it out of a lake. A very sought after car but it looks a bit far gone.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That car is quite restorable, but the dollars invested against the end value is really out of whack. It will take someone with:

1) very deep pockets;
2) lots of time on their hands;
3) wants a real project;
4) rocks for brains.

Realistically, the seller would be better off parting that car out, though what's there has little value anymore, possibly excepting the engine. Sad...very sad. A 427/435 car is worth restoring, but the buyer would be so upside down financially in that car it would never be a good proposition.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:31 PM
sabre1981
Racer

IDK, never under estimate an idiot and his money.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:01 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

It's it sad to see any vette like this much less a sought after car,
The seller is a dealer his knows the car isn't gonna fetch that so is he just getting it exposed or is he hopping to clip a foolish sucker?

Here is the question for you guys who know more about numbers and purist stuff than me,
Even if that car was free would it be worth the cost to restore?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Even if that car was free would it be worth the cost to restore?
I can't imagine it would be. You would spend less money on a "done" car.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 AM
69MA
Instructor

I can never understand how this happens. How does someone take a car drive in the back yard, or tow it. And just walk away and let it rot. Then 35 years later decide this is the time to sell. I think that this one is too far gone for restoration. If i had to guess what is for sale here (if all of the numbers match) is the engine, transmission, frame and the vin plate.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by 69MA
I can never understand how this happens. How does someone take a car drive in the back yard, or tow it. And just walk away and let it rot. Then 35 years later decide this is the time to sell. I think that this one is too far gone for restoration. If i had to guess what is for sale here (if all of the numbers match) is the engine, transmission, frame and the vin plate.
Had a neighbor up north years ago, that is what he did after his wife and daughter left....parked the car in the back yard under a oak tree, and let a '66 OEM Shelby cobra pack Mustang fastback set for some 25 years......when the family sold the car, after his passing, it brought only 500 bux....came apart into sections as they tried to flat bed it out of there....

BUT, the complete Cobra Pack, gauges, emblems, engine, vin tag, interior....the works was intact.....

So swap it all on a 6 cyl '66 mustang.....done....

Old 08-12-2009, 10:11 AM
63Nova
Racer

Barret-Jackson syndrome. Someone so afraid that someone else will make a profit.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:38 AM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

It all does look to be there. The bumpers actually look pretty good, and he says the frame is good. So how much would it really take to restore it, and then afterwards, how much would it be worth??
Old 08-12-2009, 10:49 AM
69MA
Instructor

I wonder how often this happens. My guess is that it happens more often on the mid year cars as opposed to the C3's I've actually seen a mid year that was "transformed" some time back. Suppose, in this case you change the motor and trany (some form of vin numbers on them). Then remove the frame from the doner car, (more vin numbers) rework it, very simple once it is out even if it is in so so shape. Now the vin tag i know i have seen the rivets on ebay they actually sold for sixty bucks, two rivets. I wonder what they were going to be used for. Even if you can't get the rivets what's stopping me from cutting the windshield post on both ends and welding it on the new car. How about the build sheet. What's the chances of it still being there? My guess probably better than a car that has been driven around for forty years. So we put all of these parts on our new car and what we have created is the ultimate clone of the original car. Or does our new car become the original car, well not really but to the unsuspecting buyer it does. Now i'm not claimming this car is a survivor because there will always be date codes on the car that might not make sense. However easily explained "yea i picked that part up at a swap meet". How could it be disputed it's not what the seller claims it is.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:59 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, the price is outta line considering its present condition but if you had the ability and knowledge to do most of what it requires to bring back to life it'd be worth the effort, but you'd hafta be able to do most of the work yourself, farm things out and it gets progressively more and more costly, you'd hafta be able to buy it extremely right, all this hinges on how much good shape the frame is reportedly in, including the birdcage, I'd buy it if the price was right, had the ca$h, and was finished with what I already have in the works, Peace,,,Moosie
Old 08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
69MA
Instructor

I'm guessing that the brd cage is toast. if you look at one of the pictures there is like three inches of water on the floor. Looking at the picture of the console plate, it looks like there are flakes of rust on it. The only place that i can think of that this can come from is the T tops are leaking and the frames are rusted enough to be flaking. Also with all of the water being on the floor and the windows up it creates a very damp environment perfect for rust under the dash and behind the kick panels. Frame wouldn't bother me so much I've seen people remove the frame put it on a jig cut the bad pieces off and weld new pieces on. If your doing a frame off it's already off, of course it will have to be jobbed out.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:32 AM
PuddleJumper
Pro

i might bite if it was 4-10K but over that its kinda point less with what you would have to invest into it. my dads doing an WWII jeep and he has 20 some K in it already and its not even close to being done. i can only imagen what the vette would cost to redo
Old 08-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Umm I know Dan over at Just Vettes. Might go over and take a closer look. I am pretty sure he paid a fraction of what that asking price is.

Bullshark
Old 08-12-2009, 12:49 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bullshark
Umm I know Dan over at Just Vettes. Might go over and take a closer look. I am pretty sure he paid a fraction of what that asking price is.

Bullshark
Ask him what he is smoking these days
Just joking...
ask him if he thinks that it's gonna sell for anything close to the asking price.

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 what is this guy thinking?

Old 08-12-2009, 12:58 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by moosie982
Yeah, the price is outta line considering its present condition but if you had the ability and knowledge to do most of what it requires to bring back to life it'd be worth the effort, but you'd hafta be able to do most of the work yourself, farm things out and it gets progressively more and more costly, you'd hafta be able to buy it extremely right, all this hinges on how much good shape the frame is reportedly in, including the birdcage, I'd buy it if the price was right, had the ca$h, and was finished with what I already have in the works, Peace,,,Moosie
If that is a real 427/435 car and has the original engine, carbs, alternator, etc. it is most definately worth restoring. The lines in the car don't look that bad. $30k may be high, but $5k is an insult. Need a tank sticker to really talk money.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:09 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Worth saving it if the #'s match & you have the money, knowing it won't be worth the money spent, just because of what it is. It's a shame that it was let go to this point though. Listed price is unrealistic!
You can imagine what that thing smells like when you sit in it?

Last edited by GD70; 08-12-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by rajsid
Ask him what he is smoking these days
Just joking...
ask him if he thinks that it's gonna sell for anything close to the asking price.
Originally Posted by markdtn
If that is a real 427/435 car and has the original engine, carbs, alternator, etc. it is most definately worth restoring. The lines in the car don't look that bad. $30k may be high, but $5k is an insult. Need a tank sticker to really talk money.
Just got back from talking to Dan. Yes, the car is what he says it is, and it looks every bit as rough as the pics show. From what I could see, the numbers do match. carbs, alt. etc look to be original. Everything would have to be overhauled and I do mean everything. I would be surprised if the engine would run and would not risk it anyway without a complete tear down. It's a 3 owner Missouri car with 2 of the owners in the same family. He says he knows who they are. FWIW Dan told me he paid $19K and turned down a solid offer of 20k Do I believe him?....What can I say, he's a business man. The bird cage looks solid down in the lower corners by the vin tag. I would be very surprised if the upper section doesn't need work. windshield was original. Couldn't see all of the frame, but he said it was good.
He has started gathering quotes with plans to restore himself if a buyer does not materialize. Would he take less than 28,xxx? Maybe but not much is my take. Says he will replace all the fender and front surround with new (Corvette Image press mold) rather than try to repair the old stuff. I found that a little surprising, but I am not a body man. Has a lead on a new GM surround.
Anyway, that's all the info I had time for.

Bullshark

P.S. exhaust manifolds were missing. Rusted out Hookers were there.

Last edited by Bullshark; 08-12-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 1969 what is this guy thinking?