Sponsored by:

78 Low Fuel Warning Lamp Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Rowarrior
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RIO68
Just as a point of clarefication which item is the transistor you replaced using the photos from Wilcox that are here on this thread?

Thanks!
I replaced transistor Motorola E668 and the Diode... also had to re-solter here and there to get it to be like the Willcox picture....Funny enough that Willcox board picture was uploaded for me (at my request) about a year ago when I was starting to fix the board LOL

Finally!

PS: to "really" test it, I took a long drive today to get the tank low and then went on a roundabout to displace the fuel to the other side of the tank..and voila! lights up ....it must have look weird, after 3 or 4 laps to it... but I tested that board and now I am sure it works just as it did in the old days.

Thanks to all again
Old 10-22-2009, 07:57 PM
DiCorv
Heel & Toe

Hello, recent posts on the Low Fuel Warning Module, were a great help. My '79 C3 coupe is missing the module alltogether and there's no hope of sourcing one over here (Athens-Greece). But IF ANYONE could tell me the values of the individual electronic components (3 resistors, 1 capacitor, 1 diode & 2 transistors-assumed to be ECG159or NTE159 ) then it is very easy for me to construct this simple module and FINALLY get a working indicator!
If you're not familiar with electronics ,then a simple accurate description of colors on the resistors and lettering on the other components will do, and/or some close-up photos of the components would be most welcome ! The Willcox photo is superb and helpd me trace the circuit lines, but as much as I tried to Photoshop it, I can't be sure of resistor colors etc. Thank you all in advance !
Dimitris,
added below is the previously submitted very helpful photo of an original Low Fuel Warning Module.

Last edited by DiCorv; 12-22-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Rowarrior
Instructor

Originally Posted by DiCorv
Hello, recent posts on the Low Fuel Warning Module, were a great help. My '79 C3 coupe is missing the module alltogether and there's no hope of sourcing one over here (Athens-Greece). But IF ANYONE could tell me the values of the individual electronic components (3 resistors, 1 capacitor, 1 diode & 2 transistors-assumed to be ECG159or NTE159 ) then it is very easy for me to construct this simple module and FINALLY get a working indicator!
If you're not familiar with electronics ,then a simple accurate description of colors on the resistors and lettering on the other components will do, and/or some close-up photos of the components would be most welcome ! The Willcox photo is superb and helpd me trace the circuit lines, but as much as I tried to Photoshop it, I can't be sure of resistor colors etc. Thank you all in advance !
Dimitris, dhadj@tee.gr
The transistors indeed are ECG150, The Diode I used and worked is a silicone 1000V -the original was 800V-
Old 10-25-2009, 09:20 AM
DiCorv
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Rowarrior
The transistors indeed are ECG150, The Diode I used and worked is a silicone 1000V -the original was 800V-
Thanks for the info on the Diode-since I wondered whether it might be a standard silicon or a 15-Volt Zenner-Diode that in simiar circuits protects against sparks & voltage peaks. The transistors are both the same type and ECG159 (not ECG150?) . Resistors as far as I can decode colors (Wilcox foto) MAY BE (from left to right): 1MegOhm, 1KiloOhm, 3MegOhm?(or maybe a 50KiloOhm,if read in reverse order???). What I can not make out is the capacitor (large silver component with 6V 20% reading, the value is not visible- must be on the underside ... anyone help? I'm just a small step from constructing the module ! (must also research ECG159 equivelants -couldn't find these here)
thanks

Last edited by DiCorv; 10-29-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:16 AM
paulybuilt
6th Gear

Hey low fuel light just like to come one and off just kinda casually i can have full tank or 1/4
Old 10-29-2009, 07:07 PM
DiCorv
Heel & Toe

Update on Low Fuel Indicator Module for my 79 Corv:
Since getting no more data input, for the time being, on the unknown circuit details, I decided to construct a Module after having carefully studied the Wilcox foto, Forum discussion and info given, as well as researching transistor data in the internet, then finding 2 similar general purpose switching transistors and making guesses on the capacitor and resistors, then modified a standard 2-pin Lamp socket to include a third pin ,used a 12-volt Led in place of the incadecent standard Lamp ,and...voila ! Still , I need to adjust some components to make it work in conjuction to the Corvette Gauge and Fuel Tank Sender, so these photos are just a temporary situation...
Dimitris

update: FINAL WORKING version is posted in my Nov. 11 post !

Last edited by DiCorv; 11-10-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Photos uploaded on next post
Old 10-29-2009, 07:59 PM
DiCorv
Heel & Toe

These These are the abovementioned photos at temporary state- FINAL WORKING version is posted in my Nov. 11 post !

Last edited by DiCorv; 12-22-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Rowarrior
Instructor

Originally Posted by paulybuilt
Hey low fuel light just like to come one and off just kinda casually i can have full tank or 1/4
hi, the light should come on when you have 2 gallons left.

Also, when you turn to the left hard, the fuel goes to the right of the car and that will cause the module to light up if you are low enough on fuel.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by DiCorv
These These are the abovementioned photos-had to upload them to this site to use as attachments here
Looks Good Do you have a picture of the underside of the board?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:08 PM
DiCorv
Heel & Toe

not an underside pic at hand yet, and it seems I'm making changes to the resistors in order that it responds sharply to the low fuel level. But I cannot connect it to the car right now since all console instruments and Steering Wheel Electrics are temporarily removed and sorted out, so I'm trying to simulate Gauge and Fuel Tank Sender resistance values and their influence in the circuit ,which as shown is in temporary state (just made it yesterday!)... When finished I'll surely post final pics.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:23 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Roger... I sent you a PM. Ken
Old 10-31-2009, 03:59 PM
DiCorv
Heel & Toe

My construction of a 3-Pin Lamp Socket for a Low Fuel Indicator Module at the back of C3 Corvette Instrument Cluster. Just scetched it for any C3-lover/home-restorer that might be interested in constructing this often missing and difficult to find Module. I still wish I had the exact values (or fotos) of resistors & capacitor to finish my self-constructed circuit board-picured in prev. post...
Dimitris, Athens-Greece

Last edited by DiCorv; 12-21-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:23 PM
DiCorv
Heel & Toe

just found a post in http://forums.corvetteforum.com/C3-t...ight-82-a.html by member 72-454 with a valuable side photo of the Module which shows that the 2 Transistors are DIFFERENT to each other, while I had the impression from this Forum string that they were identical...The left one: 218/6681 seems to be the equivelant of ECG159 or NTE159, the other I must look it up...Also there's a mention of resistors and capacitor values- I'll set off correctly completing my construction of the ''home-made'' Low Fuel Indicator Module !

Last edited by DiCorv; 10-31-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:37 AM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello DiCorv. You are very dedicated. I wish I had a module to send to you. I admire your efforts. mds...
Old 11-02-2009, 04:58 PM
DiCorv
Heel & Toe

Thanx for your kind comment, mds. I've been home-restoring my cars & motorcycles for quite some years now, 60's Jaguars and 50's Land Rover(s),as well as a number of pre WWII motorcycles ( BMW-Zundapp-MotoGuzzi) and have been a very keen Radio Amateur during my student days at the Polytechnic school of Architecture ,nowadays playing with computers & gadjets.
Allways strugling to device some construction or repair or faithfully copy an original part, borrowed from a friend if rare and no more available, mostly on '30s- '40s motorcycles that is.
(preparing castings of bronze or aluminum parts, or fabricating fiberglass or rubber parts as for instance 30's motorcycle petrol tank kneegrips etc.)
But an electronic substitute of e.g. an unreliable mechanical voltage stabilizer or using a current limiter to protect a fuel tank sender from possible overload and subsequent explosion, have also been ways to intervene to my Mark2 and MarkX Jags, etc etc....
Now, my recently acquired Corvette is my ,lets say ,very sexy American girlfriend with whom I cheat on all the others !!! I've spent 100s of hours studying the car and my Corvette books, manuals and web sites to get accustomed to its internals-especially the electric parts -otherwise she's quite o.k.(see the album pics)-what worries me is that there's no source of USA car parts over here, especially on 70's Corvettes and although I 've got all C3 Parts-Catalogs-like Zip-Ecklers-Corvette America- and the prices in USD seem very cool for us-due to the Euro-value- I cannot readilly order whatever I wish since shiping charges are huge, and anything more than about 45.00 USD, entering our country is subject to heavy taxes * sigh * , in contrary to countries within Europe, where imports are tax-free and rather economical to ship. Anyway ,maybe I'll try some Nederland or German firms that use e.g. Corvette America, or other USA firm Catalog who say they will charge about 1.5 times the listed price...any ideas???
I've also heard of a USA(?) int/nal shipping(?) firm ( don't know any details), that buys your stuff within the USA and then sends it tax-free to another country (can'nt figure out how? -maybe imports it to a European country that does not charge tax, and then sends it to me as if it were of European origin..?. )
If ANYONE knows of any tested way to overcome USA-to-Europe import charges is VERY WELCOME to comment or PM me, thank you,
Dimitris, Athens-Greece
Old 11-10-2009, 08:11 PM
DiCorv
Heel & Toe

Default My Working Low Fuel Indicator Module & Diagram

Low Fuel Indicator Module, constructed and working, 9 Nov. 2009

Low Fuel Indicator Module, view of Transistors I used and of added third contact.

Last edited by DiCorv; 12-21-2009 at 11:58 PM. Reason: a correction at wiring diagram test measurements
Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 PM
DiCorv
Heel & Toe

Low Fuel Indicator Module being tested, connected to Fuel Gauge and a calibrated 100-OHM variable resistor, used as a substitute to the tank Fuel Sender. Lamp is a 12-Volt LED.

My Low Fuel Indicator Module finaly in place and Gauges Cluster ready for reinstallation. Green wire to the right lights a LED warning light in a previously vacant socket that indicates ''Reverse-Gear''. Wire is connected to ''Back-Up'' switch at gear lever .
('79-C3 Corvette-350ci-Auto)
Dimitris 9 Nov. 2009

Last edited by DiCorv; 12-21-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 Low Fuel Warning Lamp Bulb

Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

You really stayed with it , there will be a lot of guys that benefit from your work. Nice job.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 PM
RIO68
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default low fuel lamp

I heard somewhere that one of the vendors is in the planning stage of making these reproduction----??????
Old 11-11-2009, 12:36 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Rio,

It's us! We have the module on the drawing board, but we're having issues finding the bulb socket. I'm not sure where Bobby is at on this, the tach boards were the main banana for the past four months.

Roger, you have to admire his work...

He might just be the next forum guru for electrical problems and we'll have to ad him to the tenacious club while we are at it! Nice Job DiCorv!

Willcox

Quick Reply: 78 Low Fuel Warning Lamp Bulb