Sponsored by:

Wide body kits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:16 PM
OzzyC4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wide body kits?

Are they any sources for wide body kits left? Something like the Ecklers kits of some years ago?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Saw a complete set of (4) fender flares for a widebody conversion mentioned at another forum. Pm me if you want additional info.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:28 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

ACI still lists "wide body" panels on their web site. Click on catalog. http://www.acivette.com/aci0004m.htm
Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

We...Ahem...I can set you up with the rare Greenwood wide body DAYTONA kit, it's not the Ecklers Can-am or Turbo but looks like this,

Lots of parts and pieces, hit me up at The13bats@aol.com with questions,

And yes, you can use the rear deck as a pick nic table....
Old 09-16-2009, 07:32 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Heres a link for ya

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Nicest of the widebody kits IMO, but your dealing with a salvage yard and who knows what Bubba's been up to.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another link:

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...QAdIdZ75744367
Old 09-16-2009, 07:47 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I saw some front and rear fenders on racing junk last week.

Nick
Old 09-16-2009, 07:55 AM
OzzyC4
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69427
Saw a complete set of (4) fender flares for a widebody conversion mentioned at another forum. Pm me if you want additional info.
You have a PM

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
ACI still lists "wide body" panels on their web site. Click on catalog. http://www.acivette.com/aci0004m.htm
Do they have the complete panel kit of just the rear panels? I only find the rear panels in their catalog

Originally Posted by The13Bats
We...Ahem...I can set you up with the rare Greenwood wide body DAYTONA kit, it's not the Ecklers Can-am or Turbo but looks like this,
I prefer the Ecklers Turbo look. The Greenwood Daytona is way to over the top for me

Originally Posted by parkerracing
Heres a link for ya

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Nicest of the widebody kits IMO, but your dealing with a salvage yard and who knows what Bubba's been up to.
I have made Bubba an offer but I doubt he will take it, I'll just have to wait and see
Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 AM
OzzyC4
Drifting

Originally Posted by lvrpool32
I saw some front and rear fenders on racing junk last week.

Nick
racing junk ??? what is the site address? thx!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:00 AM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OzzyC4
racing junk ??? what is the site address? thx!
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=racing+junk
Old 09-16-2009, 09:48 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

I never cared for the Daytona body either but Mike has the parts ...cheap and with Greenwoods kids bringing it back it will be a sought after car as Mikes stuff is real Greenwood,
I saw a Wide body kit posted on Mako forum but the seller wanted top dollar and the panels were Ecklers seconds all warped,

Here is the Wide body I made using Ecklers "Turbo" panels these came after Ecklers two different versions of "Can-am" panels,

I did use the Daytona Hood, nose and wing, this was around 1989 if I had to do again I would not use any of the Daytona stuff,

The body on Fleabay is um, intriguing, while the rear "look" to be Ecklers Turbo panels, and the doors go along with that having no recesses the front isn't right, it almost looks like wildly exaggerated wheel flares, but are "wide body" but note how the side scoop is what appears to be an 80-82 style missing it's grate,

Most wide body kits can't do this because they are wider at the stock side vent and have their own treatment, the Turbo flares had just slots cut and the Can-am's had something that sorta looked like a 73-79
I really like this front end a lot, the way the wheel flares seem to just flow into a light wide body teatment
Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 AM
0AmericanCustomInd
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We make most of the panels still. Fenders, quarters, front bumpers, and door skins. We no longer supply any hardware that may be needed, like extensions for your door handles and locks. Everything is on the website, you may have to search around the different sections.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 AM
OzzyC4
Drifting

I never cared for the Daytona body either but Mike has the parts ...cheap and with Greenwoods kids bringing it back it will be a sought after car as Mikes stuff is real Greenwood,
I saw a Wide body kit posted on Mako forum but the seller wanted top dollar and the panels were Ecklers seconds all warped,

Here is the Wide body I made using Ecklers "Turbo" panels these came after Ecklers two different versions of "Can-am" panels,

I did use the Daytona Hood, nose and wing, this was around 1989 if I had to do again I would not use any of the Daytona stuff,

The body on Fleabay is um, intriguing, while the rear "look" to be Ecklers Turbo panels, and the doors go along with that having no recesses the front isn't right, it almost looks like wildly exaggerated wheel flares, but are "wide body" but note how the side scoop is what appears to be an 80-82 style missing it's grate,

Most wide body kits can't do this because they are wider at the stock side vent and have their own treatment, the Turbo flares had just slots cut and the Can-am's had something that sorta looked like a 73-79
I really like this front end a lot, the way the wheel flares seem to just flow into a light wide body teatment
The owner of this car says the rear clip on his car started out as an Ecklers part and was then modified to this result. I like it.
Any idea what he started out with?
Thx!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:20 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Although wide, not a widebody kit and I doubt it was ever a rear clip you could purchace. I think that is 4 pieces (five if you count each flare as a single). The stock clip, the slant back rear window, two flares and spoiler. Cool car except for the ricer wing. Heres the Eckler's page with their custom back windows/clips (from an old catalog, you won't find any of that now). /:\

Old 09-18-2009, 07:54 AM
OzzyC4
Drifting

Originally Posted by parkerracing
Although wide, not a widebody kit and I doubt it was ever a rear clip you could purchace. I think that is 4 pieces (five if you count each flare as a single). The stock clip, the slant back rear window, two flares and spoiler. Cool car except for the ricer wing. Heres the Eckler's page with their custom back windows/clips (from an old catalog, you won't find any of that now). /:\

The owner states he custom formed the front fender flares and purchased the rears from Ecklers.

yes it is no wide body kit but is darn good looking to my eye, and yes the wing wouldn't be on it if it was my car.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:00 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

First Ecklers offered the Hatch vette in stock , ZL-1 wheel flares and then C-655 when is the wide body,
I always thought the Hatch vette rear especially when ran with Monza louvers ( since it was a Monza rear window ) was very sweet and made the rear end have function for a drivers which all my show cars are,
I had one of these Hatch vette rear Wide body clips a few years ago, oddly unbuilt ones still pop up for sale,

On the Fleabay blue auction clip I see you guys jumped in with me that the front is not a true "wide body"

If you look at a stock C3 vette the front is wider than the rear, a trend for a spell was to use wide body flares on the rear only and it made the car actually look more balanced,
This is the effect with the Fleabay clip,
My guess is one the front the builder took a ZL-1 flare and just tapered it out further, it looks sweet,

But I always liked the Turbo wing it is running better than the weird little Can-am wedge spoiler the earlier Eckler cars had that didn't flow with the rest of the lines,

If you can score this unloved kit at a good price you will have a one of a kind,
Old 09-26-2009, 07:39 PM
OzzyC4
Drifting

Are these the same front fenders? (style)

Which kit are the ACI parts from? (white car)

Last edited by OzzyC4; 09-26-2009 at 08:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wide body kits?

Old 09-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by OzzyC4

I don't know if it's the angle this picture was taken, or if these flares are a just a bit more subdued than most widebody kits, but this car looks aggressive, and not gaudy, like some of those kits.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:03 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

The black car appears one off, the flares are so very tapered and refined, very nice, it has a sophistication that even a purist can like,

ACI is there own kit, it's something like a refined version of the Ecklers Turbo panels, then the sore thumb headlights with eyebrow jutting up ruining the flow and weird angled obtrusive tail spoiler treatment,
Then the ACI hood is like "there" version of the Daytona hood,

To me for a street car the best looking kit was the older Ecklers Can am 2

Old 09-27-2009, 09:03 AM
OzzyC4
Drifting

The black car appears one off, the flares are so very tapered and refined, very nice, it has a sophistication that even a purist can like,

ACI is there own kit, it's something like a refined version of the Ecklers Turbo panels, then the sore thumb headlights with eyebrow jutting up ruining the flow and weird angled obtrusive tail spoiler treatment,
Then the ACI hood is like "there" version of the Daytona hood,

To me for a street car the best looking kit was the older Ecklers Can am 2

I assumed the white car is all ACI parts as I found the picture on their site.
I am curious as to which "kit" the pieces are from.
I assume that they are the "wide body se" pieces.
I like the fenders and doors, but not the front and rear bumper treatment

Their site leaves a lot to be desired in user friendliness and descriptive photo's

Quick Reply: Wide body kits?