Sponsored by:

Fleabay Old School custom....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:58 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Default Fleabay Old School custom....

I am not posting this just to have the mullets jump to say how it's fugly.

I dig these old school customs in general, I like some touches and don't like others on this one, but what I am missing here is the $28,900.00 price,
Wouldn't that be on the high side even if this car was stock?

I know it's hard to gauge a customs value but really what do YOU believe would be a more realistic price?
Since he didn't post engine pictures I can only assume it looks poorly,

My guess would be 10-12 K if the engine is nice, what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/74-CU...51210b5d#v4-35
Old 10-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Kellys~hotrods
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the rest of the car being that clean, I would have to assume the engine is as well, not having photos. Looks like you can see an air filter protruding above the fenderline in the last photo and this would explain the need for the tall hood. I have to wonder if it was ever in a magazine back in the day...

Kelly
Old 10-07-2009, 12:10 AM
SEVNT6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,810 Likes on 823 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Cool. A Vette like this makes me feel like mixing up a Harvey Wallbanger & plugging in a Frampton cassette.........
Old 10-07-2009, 08:37 AM
sstopczy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It's the extra tail/brake lights that make it so valuable.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I don't think I can fit in those hip-hugger bell-bottoms any more....
Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 AM
jam23059
Instructor

Originally Posted by SEVNT6
Cool. A Vette like this makes me feel like mixing up a Harvey Wallbanger & plugging in a Frampton cassette.........
Don't you mean 8-Track
Old 10-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by The13Bats
...My guess would be 10-12 K if the engine is nice, what do you think?...
I think $10-$12K is optimistic.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:29 AM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$28,900.00 is a good price for a C3 with 6 brake lights.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Pro

It's nice. For someone who's into the show scene. Customs are nice to look at, when they're someone elses.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by SEVNT6
And looking at my Lava Light.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:20 PM
RushThruLife
Burning Brakes

Hey Paul. That price may be the total investment he has in it. Hes totaling up all his reciepts hes kept through the years.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:44 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Thanks for the good replies,
And All you guys who were just bored and wanted to be seen while you didn't help you did get a post in..upping your post count that is good for something I guess..

Originally Posted by RushThruLife
Hey Paul. That price may be the total investment he has in it. Hes totaling up all his reciepts hes kept through the years.

I feel badly for the sellers in a way, I ran into a wide body last night that said it has 20K invested over the years I bet it does. but it's in disrepair, it's perhaps a 6 K car to the right person, the seller things it would be a fair trade for a motorhome, two sport bikes...lol a tow truck.

I am guessing they really do feel these cars are worth their asking prices and will fetch it,
But I doubt they ever will get the top dollars they dream of,
Old 10-07-2009, 04:53 PM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bats,
I've got no beef here, you've stated up front you like customs, it's your thing. While most of us don't have a problem with it, some do, and some make fun of it. While it can be fun to to do that(8 tracks, etc.), truth is, these custom cars are a part of the Corvette heritage of the 1970's. It was a time in history like no other. Just like a 2009 ZR1 comes directly from the roots of the C1's, 2's 3's, etc. It's no different, they have evolved into what they are today. Better, yes, in most eyes. Nonetheless, heritage!
As far as that car goes, it looks like a really good custom job. That being said, the price, however, doesn't come close to the market value. Some on eBay are selling to a wide open market and are hoping to find that "one" buyer who will pay for it. In reality, the seller probably knows what it's really worth, so it may be worth pursuing at a 10-12K price tag, or to get to his basement price, which may even be less than that.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:51 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by schmegeggie
Bats,
I've got no beef here, you've stated up front you like customs, it's your thing. While most of us don't have a problem with it, some do, and some make fun of it. While it can be fun to to do that(8 tracks, etc.), truth is, these custom cars are a part of the Corvette heritage of the 1970's. It was a time in history like no other. Just like a 2009 ZR1 comes directly from the roots of the C1's, 2's 3's, etc. It's no different, they have evolved into what they are today. Better, yes, in most eyes. Nonetheless, heritage!
As far as that car goes, it looks like a really good custom job. That being said, the price, however, doesn't come close to the market value. Some on eBay are selling to a wide open market and are hoping to find that "one" buyer who will pay for it. In reality, the seller probably knows what it's really worth, so it may be worth pursuing at a 10-12K price tag, or to get to his basement price, which may even be less than that.

This reminds me of a thread here a few weeks back a fellow was all put out because a NCRS purist had bashed has car at some show or cruise,
His car was a wonderful driver but no numbers matching purists dream,

Then the tread goes on with many people into what I will call restro-mods, cars with better more modern engines, suspensions, you know "upgrades" from the 50 some odd year old designs the C3 uses,
Seems the real trend is NOT numbers matching clones of the next car but rather well built well engineered "drivers" that do use modern touches.

And boy oh boy, believe you me the guys in that thread did not like getting bashed by purists one little bit,
Yet, they see nothing wrong with bashing the cars that I call "customs" if you want to live and let live it's being a hypocrite to bash the next fellows "modded car" because a mod IS a Mod, ask any NCRS purist,

Trust me I am not blind or pig headed, I know there is a huge jump and difference between saying a 70's custom reminds one of bell bottoms, lava lamps, and 8-tracks and just spewing out something like "That car is buttfugly as all hell, how gross, you ruined a vette...blah blah and more blah"

The world is a nasty enough place without being all nasty to someone on a forum,
I use forums to escape the cold cruel world,
The car in this thread makes me think of a time in my life where everything was fun and happy, things weren't so serious, people wanted to express themselves personally more and we saw it in the cars,
I didn't want to buy this one but thought one of my closet custom friends might like it, I am put off buy what I personally feel is a high price in these poor economy times,

I believe I just might have found my perfect ( for me ) donor, I just have to scrape the toad pelts together, We get paid once a month so it's hard,
Since I didn't have my eye on a car I spent a bit of what I had saved up,
But I believe I can pull it together.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:45 PM
jam23059
Instructor

I did make the comment about 8-Tracks, because it did remind me of those times, I graduated high school in 1978. I meant no disrespect to the car or the owner. Those were very memorable times for me. To the point of I am finally picking up my 1st Vette on Friday, a '74. It has taken me all these years before I was in a position to get my "Dream Car" and personally I don't care if someone doesn't like it, I do, and I'm paying for it.
I am not one to bash someones car, it's thiers, and they like it, they are paying for it and all that matters is that they are happy with it. Purist or not.
I hope no one takes this or my other post as negative, I didn't intend for it to be.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:50 PM
slyone10001
Advanced

And it only takes 2 people in the world that Really Wants the car to drive it up to the $28,900 mark. Then let those 2 people fight it out. I will admit.......Mine had Crushed Velvet interior at one time, And a really cool custom paint Job with 9 different colors on it. But that was during the 80's..........LOL
Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by jam23059
I did make the comment about 8-Tracks, because it did remind me of those times, I graduated high school in 1978. I meant no disrespect to the car or the owner. Those were very memorable times for me. To the point of I am finally picking up my 1st Vette on Friday, a '74. It has taken me all these years before I was in a position to get my "Dream Car" and personally I don't care if someone doesn't like it, I do, and I'm paying for it.
I am not one to bash someones car, it's thiers, and they like it, they are paying for it and all that matters is that they are happy with it. Purist or not.
I hope no one takes this or my other post as negative, I didn't intend for it to be.
Heck no, nothing you said was negative,
I love comments like yours,
What I find an asinine waste of time is when one fellow starts off with a nasty remark and a zillion lemmings after him call a car butfugly and make puke faces for no other reason than to be negative and nasty,
It just doesn't add to the car crafting hobby at all.

Originally Posted by slyone10001
And it only takes 2 people in the world that Really Wants the car to drive it up to the $28,900 mark. Then let those 2 people fight it out. I will admit.......Mine had Crushed Velvet interior at one time, And a really cool custom paint Job with 9 different colors on it. But that was during the 80's..........LOL
My 66 had flares, scoops , deep real candy multi color metal flake with diamond tuffed interior, I liked it,

The Mako project will be ran in rat rod wet sanded black primer for a spell, I simple have no clue what color I want to paint it,
I lean towards black with candy pearl ghost panels of perhaps purples, perhaps get silly and do them with lace painting, yea, I want some old school taste to it,
As far as interior, well, function has to win over forum so I don't think it will have any velvet,

Last edited by The13Bats; 10-07-2009 at 08:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fleabay Old School custom....

Old 10-07-2009, 07:56 PM
jam23059
Instructor

Thank You for the positive comment.
You're right this is what makes the hobby what it is. Thank God we have it and not 1 brand of car, 1 color, all the same that everyone was required to have.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you didn't own a Craig Power Play with Jensen co-axles, no one would ride with you. If you remember the 60's you really weren't there either. /:\
Old 10-07-2009, 08:04 PM
jam23059
Instructor

Originally Posted by parkerracing
If you didn't own a Craig Power Play with Jensen co-axles, no one would ride with you. If you remember the 60's you really weren't there either. /:\
I had K Mart Tri axials on the rear deck of my 1973 Gran Torino Sport for my Craig 8-Track on a locking slide mount, who remembers those??

Quick Reply: Fleabay Old School custom....