C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I bolt shop air compressor to the floor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Jim71Vette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I left mine on the shipping pallet and used a 3ft air hose to connet to the hard line. No problems in 10 years.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:43 PM
wills670
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by c3_guy
I have actually been thinking of building a little room off the back of my garage for the compressor. I think that is some of my hesitancy to bolting it to the floor, since I think there is a good chance I might be moving it.

Wro87, I have been looking at an autodrain, for know I ran a pipe out from under the tank with a ball valve on the end so I can easily drain the tank.
I went out and took a pic. of my set up. And no I do not have problems with water blowing up on the electric motor or any electrical connections. I was going to enclose the side when I built the roof but I ended up not seeing a need to.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Viz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 80 gallon vertical was on the shipping pallet for 14 years, no problem. I recently cut the pallet down to just a little larger than the overall base of the compressor, added several additional 2x4 reinforcements, then mounted casters on the pallet that lock both on the rolling and swivel axis. It doesn't move at all. HD flex line from the compressor to the ridgid lines up the wall take care of any possible vibration on the lines, but it's been rock solid.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:21 PM
toolman1981
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vibration dampners look just like antlers.....

Originally Posted by wills670
I went out and took a pic. of my set up. And no I do not have problems with water blowing up on the electric motor or any electrical connections. I was going to enclose the side when I built the roof but I ended up not seeing a need to.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:43 PM
c3_guy
Racer

Originally Posted by BB72
Use these style of anchors so you can easily move it. Thats what I did.

http://cgi.ebay.com/25-hilti-3-4-dro...item1c0d4eeb59
Thats a great idea. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shmoky
Mine is mounted on the shipping palet and there is NO movement.

shmoky
Originally Posted by 71coupe454
still on the pallet it came on 10 years ago, and I have had a need to move it a couple times and glad I never bolted it
Throw me in with this crew: I still haven't decided how (or if) a permanent location will work yet. I like the idea of an outside location but in the meanwhile, I left on the shipping pallet while I get stuff done.

This single stage runs so much quieter than the smaller one I wore out and it's no big deal for noise. Even at only 60 gal., it's so much faster to refill or keep up with any tool I hook up. Wish I'd had at the beginning of this project!

For now, I secured a custom assembled power cord overhead to a single 220V outlet w/20A breaker already wired. Runs cool. Everything is strain-relieved, hardly vibrates, and still have room to drain after using. I use a portable separater/oiler connected to HD flex hose and for my needs, works great.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 AM
c3_guy
Racer

Thanks for all the responses. I bolted vibration pads to the bottom of each foot yesterday. I ran the compressor through a cycle and it didn't move at all. I do think I will put a safety wire on it so it can't tip over. The only way I could see it tipping over would be if someone pushed it or a leg failed, both unlikely but possible.

Quick Reply: Should I bolt shop air compressor to the floor?