Sponsored by:

Squeal like a pig!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 AM
mydejavooo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squeal like a pig!!

Single belt running the alternator...power steering pump TEMPORARILY disconnected...new belt....

I've tightened up the new belt several times, but she will STILL squeal when revved up quickly. Just enough to sound like crap and be embarassing. The belt almost feels too tight, but she loosens up a bit and squeals like a little pig!! I DON'T want to use belt dressing, because I believe that's just a bandaid for old worn out belts. The belt appears to be lined up properly, and short of going to a serpentine setup, I'm stumped. I'm afraid that belt is going to snap if I get it any tighter. Do certain brands squeal over other brands? Got this belt at NAPA. Any ideas?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:09 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Do you have a clutch fan? If so, is the clutch locked up?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:37 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You have the correct length of belt...but is it the correct "V" shape? There are several different 'section' styles. If your's isn't a match to what GM used, it won't fit well and will slip with low levels of torque applied.

P.S. The 'kids' at the local auto store don't have a clue and [probably] don't even know about the different belt types. Go to NAPA and have them give you a proper belt.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like 7T1vette mentioned, the wrong 'V' will cause problems. Your belt may be bottoming out on the pulleys.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:11 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Same problem here. Was doing it mostly just on startup but last night was more prominent. Will investigate (No clutch fan).
Old 11-04-2009, 08:36 PM
mydejavooo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Do you have a clutch fan? If so, is the clutch locked up?
I have a fan clutch, and as far as I can recall, it works the way that it should? Maybe I need a refresher on how it's SUPPOSED to be. It should be looser when cold, and lock up when it gets hot, yes?

And I couldn't begin to tell you what sort of V-belt they gave me. I had just brought in the old belt and had them give me one that was shorter, since the old one was all stretched out to the max on the adjuster. It looks right...but obviously something is amiss.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:43 PM
mydejavooo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Binnie77
Like 7T1vette mentioned, the wrong 'V' will cause problems. Your belt may be bottoming out on the pulleys.
I can't see how it would NOT be bottoming out where I've tightened that belt SOOOOOO tight! I can just see the belt tightening accident....."tighter....tighter....tiii iiighter....SNAP! BANG!! $%@!!! Hey honey? Can you take me to the ER....like...now?" It's like a party under the hood!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:18 PM
earthquake68
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's been a few times when the alternator pulley actually separated enough to cause the afore-mentioned bottoming out of the belt. The correct belt, just a worn out pulley.

Just something else to look at.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:46 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,162 Likes on 486 Posts

Yeah, mine did that too (and no fan clutch). Very embarrasing to pull up in a group of exotics/Ferraris/etc., rev the engine, and hear it squeel like a pig.

My solution, a 1" Gilmer system (which was also shown to provide 10 hp by Car Craft Magazine).

Old 11-04-2009, 10:58 PM
mydejavooo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by toddalin
Yeah, mine did that too (and no fan clutch). Very embarrasing to pull up in a group of exotics/Ferraris/etc., rev the engine, and hear it squeel like a pig.

My solution, a 1" Gilmer system (which was also shown to provide 10 hp by Car Craft Magazine).

I have to say, that looks like a pretty sweet setup...priced less than a serpentine belt setup too!! But I don't notice a power steering pump on your car. Is it just hidden, or is there just another setup for one with power steering?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:12 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

make sure your pulleys are in line and not off centered or angled.....
Old 11-05-2009, 07:09 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

I wonder who paid for that article to be written...
Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 AM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try a higher quality belt like a Good Year or Gates. Sometimes that NAPA stuff is el cheapo...
Also, check your pullies for wear, if they are worn out or "dished", they will cause a new belt of any quality to squeal.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:54 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

A drive belt is never supposed to ride in the bottom of the groove. If it does, it is sure to squeal. The belt is supposed to 'wedge' itself into the sides of the groove; that way, it can tighten up properly and it has the surface area of the contact on both sides to grip the pulley. One that is riding the bottom only has that little area under it to grip with...that's why it squeals.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:45 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mydejavooo
I have to say, that looks like a pretty sweet setup...priced less than a serpentine belt setup too!! But I don't notice a power steering pump on your car. Is it just hidden, or is there just another setup for one with power steering?
Note in the other pic that he has a separate pully groove/belt for those with PS.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:53 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

I wonder who paid for that article to be written...
No one paid them to come to that conclusion. It was an adjunct to an engine build that they threw on to see what its effects were. It was done on a SB on an engine dyno stand so the results were pretty clear.

In addition to the Gilmer set-up being more efficient than a V-groove by its very nature, and far easier on the water pump and alternator bearings, the water pump and alternator pulley ratios are slightly revised. On my '64 I have found that with the 1-wire alternator I maybe have to rev the engine a little higher to activate the charging process, but after that, there is no effect. I now use a 100-amp alternator so even if it turns a little slower, it still puts out far more than the stock 43-amp unit. Additionally, the water temp stayed the same, and maybe even came down a couple degrees, possibly due additional retention time in the radiator, to a lack of belt slippage, or ???

Last edited by toddalin; 11-05-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:15 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mydejavooo
I have a fan clutch, and as far as I can recall, it works the way that it should? Maybe I need a refresher on how it's SUPPOSED to be. It should be looser when cold, and lock up when it gets hot, yes?

And I couldn't begin to tell you what sort of V-belt they gave me. I had just brought in the old belt and had them give me one that was shorter, since the old one was all stretched out to the max on the adjuster. It looks right...but obviously something is amiss.
If the new belt looks like the old belt and the old belt is worn out then the new belt is not right.

Did you happen to notice how far down into the groove the belt sat? It should be even with or just slightly below the top edge of the groove without touching the bottom of the V.

Oh, and your assumption about the fan clutch is correct, loose when cold and tension when hot.

cc

Get notified of new replies

To Squeal like a pig!!

Old 11-05-2009, 01:18 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

No one paid them to come to that conclusion. It was an adjunct to an engine build that they threw on to see what its effects were. It was done on a SB on an engine dyno stand so the results were pretty clear.
Sorry, still not believing it. Those magazines are nothing but one big advertisement, from the front cover to the back cover.

Do you think they went out and bought that setup just to test it? No, Gilmer gave it to them, along with a check, just for their troubles.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:30 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Sorry, still not believing it. Those magazines are nothing but one big advertisement, from the front cover to the back cover.

Do you think they went out and bought that setup just to test it? No, Gilmer gave it to them, along with a check, just for their troubles.
No, Alister Miller is a one-man shop who builds cars and does this system as a side line. He doesn't even advertise in their magazine.

This is no "Edelbrock." The guy came to my house after hours to help me do the install and we wrenched in my garage until 8:30 PM. I don't believe that he has the bucks, or need, to bribe an erroneous dyno pull.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:39 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Guys, you might want to take this to another thread. Mydejavooo is trying to get a problem solved.

cc

Quick Reply: Squeal like a pig!!