C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Order of installation? Windshield, SS trim, weatherstrip??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Rodney,
I'll guess that your asking about the exterior trim, not the interior soft trim.
The larger vendors sell the 2 outer windshield header chrome plated castings. I believe the long thin piece of polished ss trim that is immediately above the top of the glass is still available if you search hard enough.
I don't believe the rest of the ss trim is being reproduced. Some vendors will sell used pieces that they or you have to have repaired and polished.
A bit a pricey situation if you need everything as you state.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 09-19-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:47 PM
rod7515
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alan, Yes I would like to find all the trim, however mine is reusable if needed. Guess I should start to polish and polish and polish. Thought it would be easier to buy new! now I will use that money somewhere else> Thanks for the information.
Rodney
Old 08-27-2016, 02:27 AM
Vogast
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BB72
That link won't work now.

Rob I'm so glad you're going through this..........right before I do...

Just curious Alan, does your chrome halo pieces have seam sealer between the chrome and the fiberglass body . Not under but next too. Pardon lack of artistic skills.

What do you use for this? Auto Bedding and Glazing compound is not the right stuff, as it is soft forever so something else I guess.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi v,
Yes on my 71 there was some 'sealer' between the chrome plated halo reveal molding and the lip on the halo fiberglass.
Here's a picture showing the sealer immediately after I lifted the trim.
I put sealer under the molding but didn't let it extend beyond what is hidden by the trim.
I guess it depends how you're going to use your car as to how critical the extra sealer is.
Regards,
Alan

At the center, and under the ss trim. Notice this piece also has no sealer showing between it and the halo when installed.
Name:  IMG-54.jpg
Views: 2772
Size:  31.4 KB
Name:  IMG-54.jpg
Views: 2772
Size:  31.4 KB

Left end piece had been lifted.
Name:  IMG_0013-1.jpg
Views: 2770
Size:  16.2 KB

Here it's back in place.
Name:  DSC_0703.jpg
Views: 2825
Size:  14.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0698.jpg
Views: 2881
Size:  19.9 KB
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2016, 02:02 PM
Vogast
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi v,
Yes on my 71 there was some 'sealer' between the chrome plated halo reveal molding and the lip on the halo fiberglass.
Here's a picture showing the sealer immediately after I lifted the trim.
I put sealer under the molding but didn't let it extend beyond what is hidden by the trim.
I guess it depends how you're going to use your car as to how critical the extra sealer is.
Regards,
Alan

At the center, and under the ss trim. Notice this piece also has no sealer showing between it and the halo when installed.

Left end piece had been lifted.

Here it's back in place.
Hi Alan, always very informative! I was thinking about putting another layer on top of Auto Bedding and Glazing compound, something like RTV so I can get the ss trim off in the future. When it is hot it is much more pliant now and stuff stick to it.

Also, did you put anything in between (i) the windshield and the Windshield ss trim and (ii) the Windshield ss trim and the center roof ss trim (see pic)?

Old 04-08-2024, 02:00 PM
Old Army Guy
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Query, what is “ss”?

[QUOTE=MakoShark72;1572246466]Alan,

Thanks for the order and the pix!! As for the "large header trim" do you mean the big "T" piece that covers the top of the frame and the T-top area?

Also,

#'s 6 and 7 use the same screws, correct?? Meaning they attach pretty much at the same time. One set of holes, one set of screws??

AND.....the installation of the windshield trim, and T-Top SS and chrome trim pieces, has NOTHING to do with any of the "plastic" interior finish pieces?? Reason is, I have to have the glass guys order a windshield, so in the meantime, I should be able to complete the "interior" (dog legs, halo panels, A-pillar interior trim, windshield header interior trim, rear window trim, etc)????

Thanks

I know I’m going to kick myself when somebody tells me, lol, but what is “ss”?
thanks
Old 04-11-2024, 02:59 PM
Vogast
Instructor

[QUOTE=Old Army Guy;1607698718]
Originally Posted by MakoShark72
Alan,

Thanks for the order and the pix!! As for the "large header trim" do you mean the big "T" piece that covers the top of the frame and the T-top area?

Also,

#'s 6 and 7 use the same screws, correct?? Meaning they attach pretty much at the same time. One set of holes, one set of screws??

AND.....the installation of the windshield trim, and T-Top SS and chrome trim pieces, has NOTHING to do with any of the "plastic" interior finish pieces?? Reason is, I have to have the glass guys order a windshield, so in the meantime, I should be able to complete the "interior" (dog legs, halo panels, A-pillar interior trim, windshield header interior trim, rear window trim, etc)????

Thanks

I know I’m going to kick myself when somebody tells me, lol, but what is “ss”?
thanks
stainless steel 😄

Quick Reply: Order of installation? Windshield, SS trim, weatherstrip??