Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underhood and Engine Compartment Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:59 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Nothing wrong with flat-black. It isn't exactly what was put on originally, but it sure looks a lot better than the "before" photo. Nice work. We're just trying to tell the poster the info he requested. IMO, the flat-black you chose looks better than semi-gloss on the engine compartment surfaces. It might be more difficult to keep looking nice, however.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:20 PM
autoist
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decided to use Sherman Wiliams Carbide Black matte finish polyurethane paint for fiberglass on firewall, inner fenders, & hood....& the same thing in semi-gloss for components.

Now, here's a question: is the big box that houses the heater core and AC evaporator a 'component' or part of the firewall?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:56 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

Sem trim black works really nice
Old 01-18-2010, 03:15 PM
mydejavooo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by autoist
Decided to use Sherman Wiliams Carbide Black matte finish polyurethane paint for fiberglass on firewall, inner fenders, & hood....& the same thing in semi-gloss for components.

Now, here's a question: is the big box that houses the heater core and AC evaporator a 'component' or part of the firewall?
My guess is that it should be painted the same as the firewall. It would look funny if it were a different sheen than the rest of the fiberglass under the hood. Just my thoughts there.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:21 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I believe that the A/C plenum box was not painted. NCRS folks would know for certain.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:23 PM
autoist
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I believe that the A/C plenum box was not painted. NCRS folks would know for certain.
With the mods I'm doing, I'm really just wondering about what looks best - it isn't painted so far as I can see as I'm cleaning it up but I'm thinking I should paint it the same as the firewall...
Old 01-18-2010, 11:27 PM
mydejavooo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went in to the local John Deere place locally, and you should have SEEN the looks on their faces when I was telling them what I wanted to Blitz Black for!! They had never heard of doing that, and were a little more than perplexed by the whole deal!! It was too funny.

A little under $8 for a spray can, $12 for a quart, but you have to buy a gallon of the JD thinner which will run another $17. Plus, you will only use a small, small amount of the thinner. It's mixed 1 part thinner and 10 parts paint. I'd be better off getting 4 spray cans at that rate.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 1976 corvette
I used rustoleum flat black. No regets. Good luck.
Five years later.... How is it holding up? Pics?

Quick Reply: Underhood and Engine Compartment Paint?