Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Alarm system install

Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Default Aftermarket Alarm system install

I purchased an aftermarket alarm system, a Clifford 2-way paging unit.

I would like to integrate it to the stock alarm system, so i can cover special things like the T-Tops, has anyone done this before? And does anyone have the hookup places of the wires? I have installed alarms before, and not a big deal, but I just want to do it a little different and a little cleaner...

Also, someone may have easy places to pick up the doors switches t-top switches, hood switch, -+ door lock/unlock, windows etc...

O. 1979...

thx, Paul
Old 02-03-2010, 04:18 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the 1979 wiring scheme in pdf format ?
I've got it for year 1973, but I'm not sure it's the same as 1979, at least for the alarm system...
What I know is that the alarm door switches only use one wire, and that the switch is grounded when the door opens if I remember correctly.

Wiring diagram available here :
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...or-anyone.html

Last edited by 73StreetRace; 02-03-2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:01 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

I have an 81 and I used the factory wiring. My factory module is in the passangers side storage compartment. The GM manual will tell you all inputs and outputs of the module. I can post 81 if you wish.

Door locks are reverse polarity and the factory door lock wires are black and blue. These wire run from drivers door to passangers door. You can pick these up in either kick panel or behind glove box.

Don't get to caught up on the t-top trip switches. The t-top alarm switches work, only problem is once the alarm goes off the theif already has the t-top in his hands and running.

Hope this helps
Old 02-03-2010, 11:03 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 73StreetRace
Do you have the 1979 wiring scheme in pdf format ?
I've got it for year 1973, but I'm not sure it's the same as 1979, at least for the alarm system...
What I know is that the alarm door switches only use one wire, and that the switch is grounded when the door opens if I remember correctly.

Wiring diagram available here :
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...or-anyone.html
thx, yea, not sure what the diff is if any ether...thx for the link,,,, it seems my door switches are a neg/ground switch.

Originally Posted by spedaleden
I have an 81 and I used the factory wiring. My factory module is in the passangers side storage compartment. The GM manual will tell you all inputs and outputs of the module. I can post 81 if you wish.

Door locks are reverse polarity and the factory door lock wires are black and blue. These wire run from drivers door to passangers door. You can pick these up in either kick panel or behind glove box.

Don't get to caught up on the t-top trip switches. The t-top alarm switches work, only problem is once the alarm goes off the theif already has the t-top in his hands and running.

Hope this helps
about the T-tops... but I want to see them running down the street!!! I'm just the kind of guy that likes to have all the bell's and whistles working...so yea, they may be running.... but I'll be right behind them!

I think for the door locks i will have to use external relays as well as with the windows??? horn... lights.... AAAGGHHH

I have nothing in the rear storage compartments except batt and amp's!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:37 PM
jrl77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wont a parimeter / zone senser located in the interior or under the car remedy this?
I can't run to fast but my aim is dead on.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking to purchase a good aftermarket alarm system for my '71 vert, that did not come w. stock alarm. Any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2010, 12:37 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jrl77
Wont a parimeter / zone senser located in the interior or under the car remedy this?
I can't run to fast but my aim is dead on.

O, and I want one of those parameter sensors also...thx

hey... ok, ill do the hard work and post.... after looking over the cars wiring schematic, I have found that the door switches are actually spdt switches, therefor the dome light and current vehicles alarm system are not on the same circuit, thus I will be able to patch my Clifford alarm system into the current factory system, using all car switches, including T-top's, hood, and doors. 50% of the work done. Also, I can splice into the current vehicles alarm flasher unit and horn honk!!!... Add the sirine, LED, and switch, power... almost done...

Door locks, ..... seems to be that there is no relay system for the door locks??? just straight wire, soooo... I will have to put 2 relays in this circuit, for current...

Alarm... its a Clifford 2-way paging system... will actually page the the unit you carry on the keychain for arm/disarm... and it tells you what doors opened, or hit... cool.....

Want to hook up the windows also... be nice to role them down in the summer from wherever..

Funny thing happened today... Just got her back from paint, and now im afraid to drive her anywhere, or i should say park her anywhere, driving part is way fun.....but still....that blows!

Last edited by pauldana; 02-04-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:08 AM
mydejavooo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know which scares me more...having the Vette get stolen, or having a second rate stereo place hack into my wiring harness to install an alarm system!!

Deja
Old 02-04-2010, 03:22 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mydejavooo
I don't know which scares me more...having the Vette get stolen, or having a second rate stereo place hack into my wiring harness to install an alarm system!!

Deja
Yup

thats why im doing it
Old 02-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Paul
I hooked up a pager alarm to the factory 77 alarm a long time ago. I did not connect the pager to the alarm horn so it's silent & there is no off switch.

PS In case you you need to know, when the pager goes off people have been killed rushing to the car unprepared.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:29 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default progress thus far on my alarm

I am mounting all modules and relays behind glove box... this is some pictures of the ruff wiring so far...I put the transmitter ant inside the roll-bar inclosure. Another cool thing about mounting it here is that the door lock wires needed pass right here!!!

having problems tapping into and using current alarm system... crappy schematics making it hard to find the correct wires... but... heres what i have so far...

and again,,,, anyone tapped into the stock alarm system and use it? just need a better location of what and where those wires are... my pics show where the needed lock/unlock wires go...

Old 02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default help for the best

Got bogged down, but Roger, Kens80v, and speedreed8 helped me find a few taps that were very difficult to find... thx!!!!

here is that thread for cross reference:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...post1573038944

ok... now I will post pics and places to tap.

also, on a side note, I have gotten a few pm's from another member that has also been trying to help me out, and he is very sure that most all C3 vetts had a ignition disable, and that it is purposely not in the schematic for security purposes..??????????

please tone in on this if you have any info... I would love to tap into this circuit also....

and lastly, I have great haggerty insurance... 30K on her... so if she did get stolen, I would have a nice start to another C3!!

pics to follow along with comment
Old 02-09-2010, 12:21 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

these are the relays used for the door locks. our C3's have a neg actuator, but do not use a relay like more modern cars but instead use higher current switches, thus the need for relays for the power door locks.

This is a pic of where I mounted the unit behind the glove box, I also mounted the Shock sensor on this cross beam, and picks up hock well throughout the car.. very good place for it.

Wires to tap into for power locks, these wires found in the harness going across the beam:

another angel:

This is the 18brn wire i taped into for the running lights, harness on driver-side engine bay:

These are the blu wires for the doors and t-top's, the doors on the single wire side, t-top's on 2 wire side, found under driver side dash:

Relay to hook into stock alarm horn. Yellow wire need to go ground:

Taped into passenger foot light for dome light actuation:

more pics:

from left to right: Shock sensor, unlock relay, alarm unit, lock relay....
[/URL]

hope this helps someone else!!!

O, and if anyone has any questions or knows something I left out just chime in... p

Last edited by pauldana; 02-02-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:32 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I was ask by a forum member to repopulate this thread with pictures, but I kind of forgot which picture went where, So...... I will post them all here and try and explain what you see to the best of my memory...

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
Old 02-02-2016, 02:31 PM
Reaper19
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
I was ask by a forum member to repopulate this thread with pictures, but I kind of forgot which picture went where, So...... I will post them all here and try and explain what you see to the best of my memory...

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
Thanks for the pictures!
Old 02-03-2016, 12:00 PM
rays699
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default alarm

Originally Posted by eagle275
I am looking to purchase a good aftermarket alarm system for my '71 vert, that did not come w. stock alarm. Any suggestions?
I put a viper responder 350/ 2-way system, with 507m tilt sensor,520t backup battery + 508d field disturbance sensor you put your hand in the car alarm goes off +2-way LCD remote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:03 AM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Pauldana - I'm doing this same thing on my 79, but with a Viper alarm. Is the pink wire in your picture providing 12 volts (I thought it would be an orange wire)? Also, I can't tell if the purple wire has been stripped back also?

Evidently I can just insert 12 volts (via a relay) onto the tan and gray wires to provide lock/unlock, as the motors are already grounded through the existing circuit (I've already verified that this seems to work). This leaves one of the relay contacts with no connection - is this what you did?

Thanks for the excellent pictures!

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Alarm system install

Old 12-26-2016, 09:22 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I am in Sochi Russia till the 9th of January...

Don't know if you can wait that amount of time for me to get in behind the glove box and give you those answers.. I will do this for you when I get back home if you still need this information then..
Currently driving a waz
Old 12-26-2016, 09:29 AM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

I am in Sochi Russia till the 9th of January...

Don't know if you can wait that amount of time for me to get in behind the glove box and give you those answers.. I will do this for you when I get back home if you still need this information then..
Currently driving a waz
No problems. I'll probably have it wired by then, so I'll just have to do some more experimenting. As I mentioned, it appears to work when I insert the 12 volts (via a jumper wire to the battery) - just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be creating problems down the road.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2016, 09:42 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry I could not have helped more
The following users liked this post:
bradleyb66 (12-26-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Alarm system install