C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hunting old school wheels....

Old 11-05-2015, 02:32 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

FWIW here - excusing the sidebar if the following might be redundant to the OP's main topic - the measured rim width most often cited by manufacturers for a given tire is that prescribed by the Tire & Rim Association's (TRA) formula for establishing uniform section width standards. Without belaboring the maths (which vary depending on whether a tire is considered to have a low or high aspect ratio), many mistake these specified rim widths as necessarily constituting recommendations for optimum tire/wheel fitments, or, worse, believe that any rim width within the acceptable range will result in the tire in question exhibiting the same performance characteristics.

Now back to our regular programming...

Old 11-05-2015, 02:40 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
FWIW here - excusing the sidebar if the following might be redundant to the OP's main topic - the measured rim width most often cited by manufacturers for a given tire is that prescribed by the Tire & Rim Association's (TRA) formula for establishing uniform section width standards. Without belaboring the maths (which vary depending on whether a tire is considered to have a low or high aspect ratio), many mistake these specified rim widths as necessarily constituting recommendations for optimum tire/wheel fitments, or, worse, believe that any rim width within the acceptable range will result in the tire in question exhibiting the same performance characteristics.

Thanks...

So there are what rim and tire makers recommend and what customers decide to run,
What's your personal opinion the safe range of wheel for a 295 50 15 ?
What is the optimal rim for same tire?
Old 11-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,722 Likes on 931 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks

You are 100% correct about the TRA regulations. Just to clarify, I am not one to put something so small like a 235 on a 10" wheel (like a lot of ricer people do) but just a little helps, and yes even mounting a tire within the approved width range can change the size and characteristics in a big way.

Also, even though the TRA may say xxx size tire belongs on this rim, a lot of performance tires (Hoosier and Michelin are know for this) tend you build their tires much wider than the size should indicate. The Hoosier 275/35R18 I run is wider than a lot of other manufacturer's 295s or bigger, but legally have to comply with TRA.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,722 Likes on 931 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Thanks...

So there are what rim and tire makers recommend and what customers decide to run,
I have the TRA yearbook open at my desk currently. The "measured" rim width is 9.5" and the "approved" rim width range is 8-10.5". Design target section width is labeled as 309mm, or 12.17" with a mximum growth of the tire up to 321mm or 12.64". I would say you could safely run the tire up to 11.5-12" wide wheels.

Last edited by Kubs; 11-05-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:05 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks...

Yes, sir. Despite narrower rims being approved, I personally wouldn't run less than the measured rim width for any given tire, which for a typical P295/50R15 road tire - such as the TA Radial - would result in limiting the range to between 9.5-10.5". Based on my having actually run that particular tire on 10" wheels, I'd say this range is pretty well suited. That said, I would more likely recommend stepping up to a 10.5" where practical to minimize squirm / increase responsiveness.

edit - Sorry if it appears that I'm copping out here, but tho one might well safely run a wider rim than TRA max widths with certain tires, I don't feel myself sufficiently qualified to speculate as to where beyond that point to draw the line in general for anyone's use other than possibly for my own. And, while I may at times adamantly debate those who believe "balloon" fitments have no downside, I'm somewhat less inclined to do here.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 11-06-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:20 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Bats... at the risk of being crass and also guilty of responding to an old thread...

Ya' just gotta look in the right place... such as the recycle yard where i dropped off the turbines.

Hope it all worked out all those years ago...

Carl

I had no idea finding what I call old school wheels would be like finding teeth in a chicken.

Are old school/used wheels just getting really hard to find?
I do not know where to look now, but hey if you have a set of wheels you don't dig hit me up....

PS... old school pic from 2000 with one of those early digi cams...
Old 11-06-2015, 12:09 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

I could have bought what your looking for bats. A co worker had them. AZ wheels too. No rust whatsoever. That was a few yrs back and there gone now. Truthfully, some of todays modern cragars are not very expensive. You can get them in 17" which gives you the option to use a better rubber. Im looking to see if Cragar can build me an 18x10 in a 4.5" backset. 1 pc polished aluminum. I want to go to a larger rear for the offset look. the 17 x 8" were only $175 a pc.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:07 PM
MSL212
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halibrand wheels

You might want to look at the Halibrand wheels which were often used on Corvettes in the 60's. There is a great reproduction wheel from Real Rodders. Check it out. http://www.realrodderswheels.biz/
They were originally copied for Studebaker Avantis, but are correct and for and are available for Corvettes as well.

I had no idea finding what I call old school wheels would be like finding teeth in a chicken.

I guess it doesn't help that I do not really know for sure what style I want, I have never been all that jazzed up over wheels and several do look cool to me, like Slots, Turbines, and even the Cragar big spoke wire pimp wheels but I have never seen any that didn't have rust around the spokes,

The other thing is I want 15x10 for the rear 15x8 for the front seems most sets are all 8" wide.

I look on Craigslist and Fleabay but it seems every wheel on there is the newer taller import looking stuff,
I posted on here in parts but it's in with my ad for the rallys and redlines I have for sale so perhaps my "wanted" part is getting lost.

Are old school/used wheels just getting really hard to find?
I do not know where to look now, but hey if you have a set of wheels you don't dig hit me up....
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hunting old school wheels....