Sponsored by:

Debris in Gas Tank - Siphon or Remove

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:37 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Quanta sells, from all I know, very highly accurate duplicates of the original tanks. I suspect they have the original tooling, but for some reason can't advertise that.

If you have an original tank, it's what.... 35 year old? What ever, do the math. They were only contemplated to last 10 years by GM. Get a new tank and get rid of your probably corroded and now bacteria infested tank. IMHO. The pink clouds are probably not water pockets, I would guess they are colonies of aneorobic bacteria/rust etc.

I bought a Quanta for my 73 and could not be happier...they even come with the correct stamp, if judging is a concern. I would bail on the old tank and order a new one (no pun intended). JMO.

Stay in tune...
Old 03-03-2010, 08:02 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Well the tank looks like a replacement - as I saw the GM tag on it (when the body was off) :sad ... It is really nice though - so with all my other expenses on getting this thing together, I prefer to use this one. oh - btw - judging is not a concern for me.

Last edited by kaiserbud; 03-04-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kaiserbud
Well the tank looks like a replacement - as I saw the GM tag on it (when the body was off) :sad ... It is really nice though - so with all my other expenses on getting this thing together, I prefer to use this one. oh - btw - judging is not a concern for me.

Now - at risk of being off topic, I do not have a return nipple on the tank. It just has the one line to the carb. Is that return line really necessary?
Are you asking about the drain hose?
Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Hi Gregg - I deleted that portion of my previous post. I searched and found that only '69's w/Quadrajets got the return line. Ones with Holley's had no return line.

Last edited by kaiserbud; 03-04-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said if your tank is clean without rust or other problems by all means clean it up inside and out and paint the outside if you wish to make it purty lol. But by all means DO NOT use a Vaccume of any kind.

And as said the best place to get a stock replacement is Quanta http://www.quantaproducts.com/home.asp

But to have a return line is a nice thing to have. It helps to stop vapor lock as well as helping to keep the supply of fuel a bit more cool. And we all know cooler fuel runs better.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:40 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kaiserbud
Hi Gregg - I deleted that portion of my previous post. I searched and found that only '69's w/Quadrajets got the return line. Ones with Holley's had no return line.
Thank you!....as you had me scratching my head all day long.....

Glad you sorted it out....

Stay in tune...
Old 03-04-2010, 07:44 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

I still do not know where they get this 20 Gal stuff as I do not know of anyone that has been able to stuff 20 Gal in there tank lol.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:48 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GREGG-73
Thank you!....as you had me scratching my head all day long.....
Old 03-04-2010, 11:55 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by mrvette
I said put it on a long hose, and set outside the garage, keep the airflow decent....then drain the vac when done, not to let it set around with gas in it, that's a bit chancy I have to admit....

my old sears 16 gallon vac is not affected by gasoline....

Hey, it's OK because Twin Turbo says so. right?

Worship much?
Old 03-05-2010, 06:45 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by turtlevette
Hey, it's OK because Twin Turbo says so. right?

Worship much?
it's worked 2-3 times for me....seemed chancy I have to admit, but he was right.....

course the second time it was mostly garbage water polluted crap, that would not burn in hell....

the first and last time it was gasoline, but the tank was drained much as I could by popping the hose, that still leaves about a gallon or so in bottom of the tank....

Old 03-05-2010, 01:47 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I still stay running gas thru an electric vac is asking for it and if a person does it even once and gets way with it they should thanks God,

The thing that scares me about this is some novice comes in reads that it's okay to use a vac and gets hurt badly or killed....
Old 03-05-2010, 01:56 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I still stay running gas thru an electric vac is asking for it and if a person does it even once and gets way with it they should thanks God,

The thing that scares me about this is some novice comes in reads that it's okay to use a vac and gets hurt badly or killed....
I have to agree that people do need to remember this is an open forum to anyone with internet access.

Quick Reply: Debris in Gas Tank - Siphon or Remove