C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No title, but you get bill of sale and previous bill of sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No title, but you get bill of sale and previous bill of sale?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-...#ht_977wt_1167

This one is interesting.

Bill of sale from previous sale, plus a new bill of sale.

Just a bit dodgy.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 AM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

interesting no tittle ought the car in california yet it has wisconsin tags........

run forest run!!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:27 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

also interesting he has someone with zero feedback bumping up the bids...
Old 03-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

If the DMV report came back clean and in the "drug addicts" name why not simply apply for a duplicate title?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

There are lots of cars on eBay with no titles. Some cases, they are legit; in others, run quickly and far.

Many say things like "no title because I lost it; you have to apply for one." Well, NO, the current owner has to apply for the lost title. Don't fall for this. Either make them apply and get a title or run.

Some say things like "I bought it from a friend of a neighbor and they can't find that person anymore." Well, too bad. Unless the friend went through the court system and got a lien by court order for abandoned property, they can't just sell the car. they can have it towed away but then can't sell it. Either make them apply and get a title or run.

"It came from NY or AL or CT or ??? and they didn't have titles on cars back then." This may be true on the state, however, some do issue titles AFTER a certain date, so while there were no titles in 1964 on that '63 coupe, by 2003 when the present owner got it, there probably was.

If not, they do have to have the registration or a state form. I sold a car I had in CT and it didn't have a title. Since I never drove it, I didn't have a registration either. However, CT does has a transfer form you can get for selling to someone in another state, so that the new owner's state can see it is real. Free form, just takes the effort to go on line and request it. Either make them apply and get the form or run.

"You can easily get a title from Broadway Titles in AL or some of the others." Not so easy anymore. It can still be done the last I heard last summer, but I think some of that is ending with the new national title standards someone mentioned in another thread. Even so, if it is so easy, let them do it. Either make them apply and get a title or run.

If this guy has been registering the car, he needs to have a title. parts car or not, in many states, you still need a title, a salvage title, or a certificate of destruction.

If it was a '48 Plymouth out in the woods, you could give the guy some leniency, but a '70s or newer car in town with tags and obviously have been driven recently, it needs a title.

I wish eBay would crack down on this type of stuff.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redvetracr
also interesting he has someone with zero feedback bumping up the bids...
Seems really fishy. Especially since he insists that no one with Zero Feedback Bid. He should have blocked them, if it were legit.

Originally Posted by War Bonnet
If the DMV report came back clean and in the "drug addicts" name why not simply apply for a duplicate title?
Right.

Originally Posted by larryg3
interesting no tittle ought the car in california yet it has wisconsin tags........

run forest run!!!!!!!
It was obviously titled in WI.

BTW, according to the DOT here in WI:

Plate# : TNY824
Expiration Date : 05-31-1999
Vehicle Year : 1976
Make Description: CHEVROLET

So getting a dup should not have been an issue.

Something's just not right about this.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:52 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

The last 2 cars I bought have had title issues, as has one my buddy just bought a couple weeks ago. I am becoming of the mind that cars with these problems just aren't worth the aggravation.

In all 3 cases they didnt seem too sinister... mostly laziness, skipping title (evading taxes) or carelessness (lost title). In any event, I'm telling sellers if they want me to buy the car, call me when they get a title in hand, unless its a state like CT that does not issue title on old cars. My last buy I told the seller this and poof, he had a title in hand by the end of the week.

Occasionally the deal is so great its worth jumping through some hoops, but not too often.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:01 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

In reading the ad, I'll give him credit that he says he selling it for parts. I do not believe any DMV would do a "title search over the phone" though, sorry.

Regarding the 0 feedback, he says he wants to be contacted first before bidding, not that he wont allow zero feedback.

If this were my car I'd start taking pieces off it and parting it out. He would make more money anyway, and avoid this whole title thing to boot.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
In reading the ad, I'll give him credit that he says he selling it for parts. I do not believe any DMV would do a "title search over the phone" though, sorry.

Regarding the 0 feedback, he says he wants to be contacted first before bidding, not that he wont allow zero feedback.

If this were my car I'd start taking pieces off it and parting it out. He would make more money anyway, and avoid this whole title thing to boot.
At the moment it's not his to sell whole or in parts, perhaps he is the "addict". Walk away.......
Old 03-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

I'd be leery of any car being sold that has a picture of the car with a person wearing in flip-flops in the snow.
Regards,
Alan

My wife just informed me that more than a few kids have worn flip-flops all winter even when there was 2' of snow. Boy, life as I knew it is really becoming history.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
I'd be leery of any car being sold that has a picture of the car with a person wearing in flip-flops in the snow.
Regards,
Alan

My wife just informed me that more than a few kids have worn flip-flops all winter even when there was 2' of snow. Boy, life as I knew it is really becoming history.
Good one Alan !

In Ontario we do not have titles. Each car has a registration slip in the name of the owner and held by the owner. If there is a lien then that will be on the record of the Ministry of Transport. A car cannot be sold without the registration slip unless it is junk.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:06 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 310 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I read the Ebay sellers discription, and something here doesn't make any sense. If you bought the car from this drug addicts daughter, and she has a bill of sale, I first question is the "Bill of sale" Notarized ? Cause if it isn't, then it's just a piece of paper with some names on it. But it has no legal standing. Next, Why can't the daughter apply for a valid California Title ? ,Cause right now your the last one in a daisy chain of alleged ownership.

You have nothing legal the attaches you to any kind of ownership of this vehicle. I'd get my money back and wait till this Drug Addict surfaces and has the right of mind to arrange and apply for a valid title in his name without and encumbrances or liens. And once he receives that, he can sige it and send it to his daughter. But until you have something that resembles a legal document, your SOL !

Good luck !
Old 03-15-2010, 02:08 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

At the moment it's not his to sell whole or in parts, perhaps he is the "addict". Walk away.......
Which would be why I said, "if this were my car..."
Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see it now. The previous owner (drug addict) is going to walk out the door of the rehab clinic look to his right and then his left scratch his head and ask “Where did I park my car?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Flip Flops
Snow
No Title

What is this world coming to?

IC a lot of kids at my son's school wearing those silly plastic jelly shoes all winter long too. Weird world.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Jeffery73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I sent this guy a message through Ebay saying that if he didn't have a title, it wasn't his car to sell. He sent a message back saying that he "was a D.E.A" and if I didn't leave him alone, he would have my Ebay account shut down. OOOOOHHHHH. I'm shakin' in my boots.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Yes, cause the DEA is selling on eBay now..
Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffery73
I sent this guy a message through Ebay saying that if he didn't have a title, it wasn't his car to sell. He sent a message back saying that he "was a D.E.A" and if I didn't leave him alone, he would have my Ebay account shut down. OOOOOHHHHH. I'm shakin' in my boots.
Forward that info to the email form at the bottom of this page.
Then the car probably will really be for sale by the dea in the future.

http://www.justice.gov/dea/contactinfo.htm
Old 03-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Jeffery73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by noonie
Forward that info to the email form at the bottom of this page.
Then the car probably will really be for sale by the dea in the future.

http://www.justice.gov/dea/contactinfo.htm
That's not a bad idea.

Get notified of new replies

To No title, but you get bill of sale and previous bill of sale?

Quick Reply: No title, but you get bill of sale and previous bill of sale?