Sponsored by:

Towing with a Tow Dolly???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 03:13 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkintheWoods
The huge problem I had with it is I had to pick the car up and slide the dolly under it. The nose is too long and low to drive the car onto the dolly. It was about as much fun getting it back off the dolly and I yanked the clip that holds the air dam in place off in the process. I would not recommend it as a whole for sure.
That is a good point! The Corvette for sure going to be low, and getting it on and off will be trouble when it catches on the front end. I ripped of a lower air dam on another car that wasn't as low as a Corvette's.

A Corvette on a tow dolly is about as sacraledge as a Harley being in the back of the truck. (I know that can open a can of worms for you guys who love to pick on Harleys, but don't bother. I've heard them all after riding for 39 years).
Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by builder
I just wouldn't recommend for anyone to use a tow dolly unless they have a "heavy" tow vehicle. I also wouldn't recommend towing a corvette with one.

Also, In my state, the tow dolly doesn't need to be licensed or insured, but the towed vehicle has to be insured and licensed if the wheels are on the ground. Might want to check on that too if you decide to use a tow dolly.
A corvette on a dolly must be more of a sacrilegious thing then anything else!

There is just nothing special about a vette over any other car .. Made the same, weigh the same ... etc. etc.

A mini-van will tow a vette on a dolly just fine, I towed my 82 trans am with my mini-van and it is equal in weight to a vette and pretty much as low.

Dolly the vette and disconnect the driveshaft if on a long trip. Check hitch bolts when you stop for gas as well as tie down straps. Have a nice trip and don't let these guys scare you into not dollying the car. It really is not big deal (just take turns wider is all)
Old 04-09-2010, 11:27 AM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I still think using a dolly for a long trip is a mistake. If you have to lift the car to get it on and off without damaging it....there is not one but two problems already. Now you should remove the drive shaft, there's you third problem. If you want to tow it with your suburu or ford taurus, you now have another problem. If you have to make just one turn on gravel with too light of a tow vehicle, you will quickly find out how fast the dolly and car will slide the rear of the tow vehicle over....even a half ton pickup. Don't think it can't happen on a paved road either. Now we are up to 3 problems. Since you can't back up, you always have to park so you can drive forward to get out. That's 4 problems. If a wheel bearing goes out on the rear of a corvette, that's a bigger problem than a wheel bearing on a trailer by a long shot. Stability is crap with a tow dolly compared to a trailer, ESPECIALLY if the tow vehicle is not heavy enough. I see Jeeps on tow dollys behind RV's. That's a heavy tow vehicle. If you can't be talked out of using the tow dolly, just make sure you have 600-700 lbs in tha back of the pickup for ballast. It's just smart to travel any long distance with a trailer that has brakes, especially if you have no previous experience with a tow dolly. Just because somebody made it home towing a vehicle doesn't make it a smart thing to do for everyone. Heed experience. Costly mistakes are just that ....costly.

Last edited by builder; 04-09-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Towing with a Tow Dolly???