Sponsored by:

Hood Corners Pop Open While Driving

Old 04-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Ravine Speed
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hood Corners Pop Open While Driving

'69 BB 427/435 vert.

I've searched and can only find the opposite problem, the hood stuck closed.

Problem is that one corner or both will pop open while driving. I have tried several adjustments of the cable and the pins, but it just doesn't seem to help.

Two big issues, driving down the highway at 75 and having them pop, and now second, adjusting them poorly and having them get stuck closed or screwing up the cable release.

I think I'll hook a cable up to the latch and run it down to the wheel well to avoid having it stuck closed (similar to a forum solution found searching) but I don't know what to do to keep them closed.

Ideas or experience?
Old 04-08-2010, 06:31 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

Is the hood itself/latches/pins assembly all as original? I had a similar problem where I had an aftermarket early 69 hood with late pins. There are "early" design pins (more rounded, called "tulips") and "late" pins (more "triangular") and they affect this. If the pins arent the right ones for the latches, they wont seat correctly. My hood would pop while driving.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Ravine Speed
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Is the hood itself/latches/pins assembly all as original? I had a similar problem where I had an aftermarket early 69 hood with late pins. There are "early" design pins (more rounded, called "tulips") and "late" pins (more "triangular") and they affect this. If the pins arent the right ones for the latches, they wont seat correctly. My hood would pop while driving.

Thanks, I don't know. The car is very original, and the pins look like the triangular type, I would guess. This just started happening out of the blue. I read a post that said to use some duct tape on the hood (female) side, lower the hood gently and see where the pins hit the tape, ie. the placement of the latch and then adjust. I've tried several adjustments, but not the tape idea yet.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:42 AM
whitehause
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No help here because I have the same problem on my 68 BB. I've also tried a number of adjustments with no solution. I'm about ready to put hood pins on it and be done with the cable system all together. It's a NOM car thats had mods done, so it won't be a big deal for me. The one thing I did notice when I removed the mechanism for painting is that my main cable from the firewall seemed to have almost no slack in it.(I have it apart for motor rebuild now) I wonder if it was not letting the latch engage completely. Might be something to check.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:48 AM
bradc6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 340 Likes on 192 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11
National Champs Gators 4 St. Jude '09

I'm having this issue with my 68, mainly when I go over big bumps like railroad tracks. I've adjusted the latch so it doesn't happen as often and may just need to adjust it a little more.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Kevins77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem on my 74 - It is an aftermarket L88 hood and was shimmed up pretty highly off the front latches with washers. When I put the hood back on after the motor swap, I removed a few of the washers and I havent had the problem since.
The way our hood latches are, if the hood is slightly out of alignment it doesnt seem to hold down that great. now that mine is lined up better it shuts better, opens easier, and no longer pops out on its own.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Try lengthening the pins a turn or two. They're adjustable.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:26 AM
69monzacpe
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I had the same problem. Taped over the receiver holes and lightly set the hood down on the pins to get them centered, then adjusted the pin hieght. The hood hasn't popped open again for some time.

I also recall that the hinge receiver latch edge was a little worn, and I did some minor fileing to remove any burrs/rounded edges on both the latch edges and pin edges where they engage.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood Corners Pop Open While Driving

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood Corners Pop Open While Driving