Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fancy valve cover screws.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Drizzle
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Fancy valve cover screws.

I have a L46 with the stock aluminum valve covers. Does anyone know who makes the "T" style screws that hold down these valve covers (to dress up the engine a bit). The ones at my local parts store dont have enough threads to get through the cover, gasket and into the head. I need longer ones because of the raised tit on these valve covers. Anyone know where I can get some? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:29 PM
lvrpool32
CF Senior Member

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Usually the threaded part is just a small stud, (attach it to the head first to locate the valve cover then screw the T-Bolts down onto that). You can go to Home Depot and buy a length of 1/4" threaded rod and make longer studs or look at Mcmaster Car I am sure you can buy pre-made studs from them.

Nick
Old 04-15-2010, 03:07 PM
corvetteload
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just redid the covers on my Chevelle, they had those long shafts with the removable T-handles (so 80's), I junked them for button head allen bolts in stainless, polished the heads and they don't stick up or look obnoxious at all. Oh yeah, the covers are the polished ones from GM with "Chevrolet" in black and the bowtie in red. So long story short, there is a place here in PA in Gettysburg that will supply you with anything stainless, called http://www.totallystainless.com/ buy one or one hundred!!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Kevins77
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a lot of those tend to be very, very cheaply made. I had a set that was supposed to be grade 8 studs not long ago, and one of them snapped off even with my head while I was tightening it. It had never really tightened down, still felt like it was turning fine then SNAP. Never broken a grade 8 bolt by hand before..
Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 PM
KTKelly
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just went through this same thing with some Mr. Gasket valve cover bolts.

The little studs were to short to work, so I went to this place:

http://www.automotivefasteners.com/

Bought some longer "studs" for all of $1.64 and am now done with that task.

As for me, I didn't get those "wing" style, as I hate that look. Mine are a similar to these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHROM...item3a46cf29bc
Old 04-15-2010, 08:57 PM
JimT
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I find most of my bolts/studs at ACE Hardware. The stores in my area carry several aisles of nuts/bolts/screws etc in just about every size and grade for most all applications (even autos).
Old 04-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Gilded_Splinters
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You can get long stainless steel machine screws of the appropriate size for beans at Lowes or Home Depot, cut/grind them yourself and Lock-Tite 'em in for a good installation.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:29 PM
PeteZO6
CF Senior Member

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
I have a L46 with the stock aluminum valve covers. Does anyone know who makes the "T" style screws that hold down these valve covers (to dress up the engine a bit). The ones at my local parts store dont have enough threads to get through the cover, gasket and into the head. I need longer ones because of the raised tit on these valve covers. Anyone know where I can get some? Thanks in advance.
Those kind of valve cover hold down bolts were popular in the 60's. Is that where you want to go? If it is, that's , but take it from an old guy who remembers them, they are SO yesterday!
Cheers,
Pete
Old 04-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Bowerss2
CF Senior Member

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

i have them on my engine, i dont know where you can buy them though. I made mine on the lathe when i was very very board one day. got to try out my new knurling tool. The "T" part of them is a interference fit. I used grade 8 bolts i cut the heads off of and shaped as studs. The T handles screw into them. Then i took them down to the shop and anodized them. I am sure you can find some commercially made on summit or jegs

Old 04-16-2010, 01:52 AM
toddalin
CF Senior Member

Liked 119 Times in 84 Posts

I may have a set up in the rafters. My '70 had chrome Milodon covers held by them when I first got it. I have no idea of the stud length.

If they can be of use, PM me a reasonable offer and I'll try to hunt them down and we can check the stud length.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:27 AM
thegavel
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Had'em on mine.....they were junk, couldn't tighten them properly
and the threads stripped. I went with studs.
Just my 2 cents.
Cheers
Gav
Old 04-16-2010, 10:38 AM
68ragtop69
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 27 Times in 26 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I had blue anodized aluminum ones that I had bought from a vendor at Corvettes at Carlisle on my last 68. They were a lot better than the ones I ordered from Summit Racing. I was amazed at the difference in quality that was available.....so if you want the look of the T-Handle fastners, I would recommend that you attend a large swap meet similar to Corvettes at Carlisle and inspect them in person.

For me, used these T-Handle fasteners to help the blue theme that I was working on in my engine compartment. My 68 was painted Quasar Blue and I wanted blue accents in the engine compartment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fancy valve cover screws.

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: