Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket bumpers & spoilers, etc

Old 05-14-2010, 07:13 PM
gs78vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
My wife owned a '79 for many years, and was the original owner of the car. The fenders on her car were trimmed also, even though the car had the 225/70s on it.
You and KapsSA have both mentioned 1979's. I don't have a benchmark or anything to compare but my guess from appearance is that it has not been trimmed. The tires are not the larger or smaller recommended size but are actually between the 2 sizes as I recall?

I'm posting some pics from when I was putting the rocker panels on and checking measurements. Maybe one of you can tell if it is trimmed or not??
One of the new rocker panels uses all the space and one doesn't use about an inch of the space for panels. That's fiberglass though, could be a number of reasons for that.

The photos have been removed. They are inaccurate depictions and do not help. They may not have all shown up in this post anyway according to others. Other photos will be posted Monday and I'll be able to tell more then anyway. My apologies and thanks to those that noticed.

Last edited by gs78vette; 05-15-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:34 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by gs78vette
You and KapsSA have both mentioned 1979's. I don't have a benchmark or anything to compare but my guess from appearance is that it has not been trimmed. The tires are not the larger or smaller recommended size but are actually between the 2 sizes as I recall?

I'm posting some pics from when I was putting the rocker panels on and checking measurements. Maybe one of you can tell if it is trimmed or not??
One of the new rocker panels uses all the space and one doesn't use about an inch of the space for panels. That's fiberglass though, could be a number of reasons for that.
The car is not here so I can't take any newer or better pics right now. Try these please, thanks.

"gs", only a couple of pictures came up, and those 2 semed to concentrate on the "lip" that is at the rear of the tire. The portion of the fender that was "trimmed" is in front of the tire.

It's a little difficult to put it in words, but I'll try. As the flare of the fender comes away from the top of the fender, it then forms a lip of about 3/4" that is perpindicular to the ground. That 3/4" or so, is fairly consistent around the tire, but if the fender has been "trimmed", you'll see that the lip is almost gone in front of the tire.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:16 AM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

"gs", only a couple of pictures came up, and those 2 semed to concentrate on the "lip" that is at the rear of the tire. The portion of the fender that was "trimmed" is in front of the tire.

It's a little difficult to put it in words, but I'll try. As the flare of the fender comes away from the top of the fender, it then forms a lip of about 3/4" that is perpindicular to the ground. That 3/4" or so, is fairly consistent around the tire, but if the fender has been "trimmed", you'll see that the lip is almost gone in front of the tire.
Agree, maybe another way to describe it is....

Run your hand along the inner radius of the wheel well opening (following the arc). If trimmed, like on my '78, you will definitely feel the inner lip become smaller where it was trimmed.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:33 PM
gs78vette
Instructor

"gs", only a couple of pictures came up,
I included 5 photos on this post. I see them all on my computers. How many are showing? Anyone else not seeing 5 photos?

As I said, the car is not here where I can check it or take photos until Monday. In a locked shop over the weekend, getting the new radiator and stuff installed on Monday morning, I hope.

My photos are real limited on the one spot. It seems though that when I was putting the rocker panels on, I found some writings about clearance at the rear.
I thought that was strange because of the flare at the rear. It would never have been built just to shave away again.

Originally Posted by BTAL
Agree, maybe another way to describe it is....

Run your hand along the inner radius of the wheel well opening (following the arc). If trimmed, like on my '78, you will definitely feel the inner lip become smaller where it was trimmed.
Thanks for your descriptions - I'll check it Monday too. I want to get some larger tires for sure (not ridiculous) and/or possibly wheels. Probably 15" wheels??

I might remove those photos if I can edit this late, they are perhaps confusing, corrupt if 5 did not show, and certainly not helpful. Thanks leadfoot4 and BTAL, the instruction on everything is great.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:29 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

http://c3-r.com/ groovyjays website on his projects...
Old 05-15-2010, 02:01 PM
gs78vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by onaqwst
http://c3-r.com/ groovyjays website on his projects...
All you folks are so helpful! Thanks for the link.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:10 PM
gs78vette
Instructor

@blckslvr79 - fauxrs - & dmeesq plus others

I was reviewing all the great posts and information here and then it struck me.......
Some of you by word or action have a dislike of bumperettes but I never paid that much attention until now I noticed.

I originally had an idea when I started this thread about possibly pursuing a specific front and specific rear bumper which is the 1980's look for both.
In post #7 on page 1, I showed the catalog rendition of those bumpers.
Note that neither of them have those bumperettes! Subconsciously and now consciously, I must not care much for the bumperettes either. Do you suppose?

An epiphany perhaps? 1975-79 must have been the "bumperette" years I guess.

As part of my research, I checked around for availability and pricing on the ZR-1 rear bumper. Corvette Central had it for $429. I'll have to call Willcox - they are usually resourceful and will meet or beat pricing. I've also dumped a ton of money there. They also carry/acquire/sell the original Tru-Flex made by Toledo.

Anyone know a good source or vendor for the ZR-1 bumper? Vendors don't put every last thing online or in catalogs that they can possibly get.

I really haven't changed my mind yet but I need to see some more photos of the 1980 bumpers on cars that are not 1980-82 model years. It would help me anyway. I've really narrowed it down.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:18 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

if i was to redo my front and rear, i would shave the bumperettes off... i took the time to mold/shave everything else but skipped the bumperettes...

if you plan on using the car everyday, i would keep the bumperettes since most folks dont' really see the front of the vette and can easily bump into your nose...parking their cars/etc....

if it's for the looks, i would shave them off

i ordered the zr1 bumper for my 77 and didn't like it... for me, it stuck out too far and didnt flow right with the rest of the rear... i think you would want a bumper that has a top that slopes down and not flat or up... the slope down will keep the flow from the glass and transition to the rear.......

Last edited by onaqwst; 05-15-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:40 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Here's an example of the fender trimming done for the 255/60 tires.
My white79, originally equipted with the smaller 225/70 tires also had trimmed fenders making me think they also trimmed the fenders for the factory spoiler installation. And looking closely to where the spoiler ends attach to the fenders, it does appear that it might look misallined without the fender trimming.
That's not to say you couldn't get it to fit fine without trimming....
Old 05-16-2010, 01:35 AM
gs78vette
Instructor

i took the time to mold/shave everything else but skipped the bumperettes...
What did you shave/cut/modify?

i ordered the zr1 bumper for my 77 and didn't like it... for me, it stuck out too far and didnt flow right with the rest of the rear... i think you would want a bumper that has a top that slopes down and not flat or up... the slope down will keep the flow from the glass and transition to the rear.......
You're suggesting that I make no change to my rear bumper/cap at all then? A couple other posters in this thread would argue that point about the ZR-1 I assume.
That's why I have been asking for photos all along the way and hope some will show up by the end of the weekend maybe. I would rather see what might be than just guess in this instance. Expensive and a bunch of trouble if you order and then don't like it. Wouldn't you say onaqwst? I appreciate you giving your opinion AND why!

Originally Posted by KapsSA
Here's an example of the fender trimming done for the 255/60 tires.
My white79, originally equipted with the smaller 225/70 tires also had trimmed fenders making me think they also trimmed the fenders for the factory spoiler installation. And looking closely to where the spoiler ends attach to the fenders, it does appear that it might look misallined without the fender trimming.
That's not to say you couldn't get it to fit fine without trimming....
It's immediately obvious to the eye too if you're looking for it. Otherwise it seems to blend and looks just fine to me even if it is not need for tires or a spoiler. I wonder now if most/all/many of the 1979's left the factory trimmed? I won't know until Monday about mine as I've said before unless I come across just the right photo which I do not think I have.
The 1980 front might look good and require no spoiler to further enhance appearance too. Again, maybe a half dozen or so of the right photos and I should be able to feel good about what I like.

The guys that explained finding the trim and your photo, Mike; all excellent and impossible to miss whether or not a trim has taken place.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:02 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

.....It's immediately obvious to the eye too if you're looking for it. Otherwise it seems to blend and looks just fine to me even if it is not need for tires or a spoiler. I wonder now if most/all/many of the 1979's left the factory trimmed? I won't know until Monday about mine as I've said before unless I come across just the right photo which I do not think I have.
The 1980 front might look good and require no spoiler to further enhance appearance too. Again, maybe a half dozen or so of the right photos and I should be able to feel good about what I like.

The guys that explained finding the trim and your photo, Mike; all excellent and impossible to miss whether or not a trim has taken place.

Mike, excellent picture! As they say, one picture is worth a thousand words....

Greg, regarding you comment on how many cars were built with the fenders trimmed...My wife's car, as previously mentioned, was a '79, and an VERY early build '79 at that. Therefore, I would imagine that most, if not all, '79s were built that way.

She originally had a '78 on order, however GM got the "Indy Pace Car" contract rather late in the game, and had to rush the cars into production. They needed to make 6000 of them, one for each dealer. Consequently, her order, which had been placed in mid November of '77, was bumped out, and the car didn't arrive until late July of '78. Her feeling at that point was why take the car when it will be a "year old" in 6-7 weeks. The dealer understood her point (probably helped by someone who saw "her" car a few minutes after it was unloaded off the car carrier, and really wanted it), and pulled some strings to get her one of the first '79s.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:33 PM
gs78vette
Instructor

Greg, regarding you comment on how many cars were built with the fenders trimmed...My wife's car, as previously mentioned, was a '79, and an VERY early build '79 at that. Therefore, I would imagine that most, if not all, '79s were built that way.
In this thread anyway, we have not discovered any 1979 Corvettes without the trimming done.
I question whether there was actual "trimming" as physical cutting or was that just the mold that was used at the time for these '79 vehicles?

Easier to make them that way in the first place rather than to modify each and every one off the line (or out of the mold I should say). Modify the mold temporarily one time - not each piece which is thousands of times...

This is a great trivia question for Corvette buffs (all of us).
Old 05-16-2010, 05:39 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

What did you shave/cut/modify?
i bought new fiberglass front and rear bumpers and molded them into the body.. i shaved my door handles, locks, side marker lights, antenna, alarm key hole

some old pics from a few years back

this is what i would do as blckslvr79 did

Last edited by onaqwst; 05-16-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:13 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

In this thread anyway, we have not discovered any 1979 Corvettes without the trimming done.
I question whether there was actual "trimming" as physical cutting or was that just the mold that was used at the time for these '79 vehicles?

Easier to make them that way in the first place rather than to modify each and every one off the line (or out of the mold I should say). Modify the mold temporarily one time - not each piece which is thousands of times...

This is a great trivia question for Corvette buffs (all of us).
"ONLY" 78s and 79s were trimmed at the factory, by hand, if the car was originally equipted with the optional 255/60 tires(and possibly 79s with the D80 spoiler package).
I say "only' because NCRS judging HAS turned up a FEW that were needlessly trimmed.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:32 PM
gs78vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by KapsSA
"ONLY" 78s and 79s were trimmed at the factory, by hand, if the car was originally equipted with the optional 255/60 tires(and possibly 79s with the D80 spoiler package).
I say "only' because NCRS judging HAS turned up a FEW that were needlessly trimmed.
Trimming each one by hand is a waste of labor; unless it was for a reason for sure or there really were not that many trimmed.
Guessing but it seems like it may be much more than a "few" that were trimmed without necessity.
Makes no difference unless I need it trimmed and it is not trimmed at this point. Could be a trip to the body shop in my future?? The part would need painting anyway.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:53 PM
gs78vette
Instructor

this is what i would do as blckslvr79 did
Go with the '74 rear bumper and eliminate the center split line, is that what you mean?

@onaqwst - I do like the individual Corvette lettering. Are the letters just put in the indentations with some epoxy after the bumper is done (painted) or what?

Your car appears very smooth everywhere unless you count the bumperettes. No way I could have known from just the little avatar. If the job is done right then there should be no worry but I would still fear cracking in the front and rear where the bumpers meet the car.
I've never seen a Corvette that color. Are there any matching appointments in the interior?

Door open by push button in the side vent or how does yours operate? Very slick looking and functioning!

anyone - Do any of you know of a photo in the forum or someone that has a late 70's car with the 80's look rear bumper (small built-in spoiler). It seemed like a good idea but apparently no one thinks so. That's why I'm hunting "good" photos. I like the 80's look front end but no one thinks the 80's rear end with it looks good. I wanted to see why. I really want the Tru-Flex bumpers before I paint. No rush, it won't be painted real soon unless I have a windfall.

Last edited by gs78vette; 05-17-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:24 AM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with the '74 rear bumper and eliminate the center split line, is that what you mean?

I do like the individual Corvette lettering. Are the letters just put in the indentations with some epoxy after the bumper is done (painted) or what?

Your car appears very smooth everywhere unless you count the bumperettes. No way I could have known from just the little avatar. If the job is done right then there should be no worry but I would still fear cracking in the front and rear where the bumpers meet the car.
I've never seen a Corvette that color. Are there any matching appointments in the interior?

Door open by push button in the side vent or how does yours operate? Very slick looking and functioning!

Do any of you know of a photo in the forum or someone that has a late 70's car with the 80's look rear bumper (small built-in spoiler). It seemed like a good idea but apparently no one thinks so. That's why I'm hunting "good" photos. I like the 80's look front end but no one thinks the 80's rear end with it looks good. I wanted to see why. I really want the Tru-Flex bumpers before I paint. No rush, it won't be painted real soon unless I have a windfall.

The 74 rear bumper letters are held on with pins and speed nuts. Each letter has a nut holding it on.

The 74 rear bumper can be bought in a 2 piece or a 1 piece flex shell...
with or without the center seam.

The pace car rear spoiler will work with any 74-79 rear bumper.

As for the front fender trimming....
My 79 came with the 255 tires and the front fenders where not trimmed like the picture above. Only lightly trimmed inside the lip. The outside of the fender is equal all the way around on mine.

I'll post some pictures later.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket bumpers & spoilers, etc

Old 05-17-2010, 02:30 AM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Do any of you know of a photo in the forum or someone that has a late 70's car with the 80's look rear bumper (small built-in spoiler). It seemed like a good idea but apparently no one thinks so. That's why I'm hunting "good" photos. I like the 80's look front end but no one thinks the 80's rear end with it looks good. I wanted to see why. I really want the Tru-Flex bumpers before I paint. No rush, it won't be painted real soon unless I have a windfall.
Putting a 80-82 rear bumper on the earlier cars is a very common modification. There are pictures all over the net of this. I personally don't like the look of the 80-82 bumpers unless they are matched with the more areodynamic 80-82 fronts.

Putting a 80-82 front on a pre-80 car is a lot of work.
(I'd suggest just buying a 80 model and selling yours, if that's the look you want.

There is an aftermarket front bumper for the pre-80 cars that bolts right on but resembles a 80-82 style, but I do not like the way they look. They look to long and resemble a shovel or a long chin from the side view in my opinion.

Bottom line is it's your car. Make into what you want.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 AM
gs78vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by blckslvr79
Putting a 80-82 front on a pre-80 car is a lot of work.
(I'd suggest just buying a 80 model and selling yours, if that's the look you want.
I've mentioned a number of times in this thread starting with the first post that I was considering the look alike or the similar appearance bumper.
Rather ridiculous to go with the Daytona original 1980 bumper on a non-1980 car! It would have to be a body shop nightmare. I don't know anyone that has done this, I never would.

Originally Posted by blckslvr79
There is an aftermarket front bumper for the pre-80 cars that bolts right on but resembles a 80-82 style...
This front and the rear 1980's similar appearance, non-original bumpers on late 1970's cars are what I'm looking for pictures of. I've personally just not seen many although there must be a lot of them around. I was not paying attention until now when looking around.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:00 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

I've mentioned a number of times in this thread starting with the first post that I was considering the look alike or the similar appearance bumper.
Rather ridiculous to go with the Daytona original 1980 bumper on a non-1980 car! It would have to be a body shop nightmare. I don't know anyone that has done this, I never would.

This front and the rear 1980's similar appearance, non-original bumpers on late 1970's cars are what I'm looking for pictures of. I've personally just not seen many although there must be a lot of them around. I was not paying attention until now when looking around.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...on-a-77-a.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket bumpers & spoilers, etc