Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket bumpers & spoilers, etc

Old 05-19-2010, 02:32 AM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by blckslvr79
Trimming has nothing to do with the spoiler fitmet.
And this is a fact?

I'm not saying you can't fit the Pace Car spoiler to the front fender without trimming, I'm saying the FACTORY chose to trim the opening for it, regardless of which tire went on. I've also seen plenty of people successfully put the bigger tires on without trimming.

I mentioned in a previous post how the spoilers were designed for the 78 Pace Car, ALL of which had the fenders trimmed for the bigger tires.

My white79, 11K mile original, came with the smaller tires. But in the pic, if you picture the wheel opening NOT trimmed, the fender lip would either be about 3/4" into the opening past the spoiler end piece OR that end piece would need to be moved closer to the tire to get the look of the spoiler flush with the fender lip. And right now(with the bigger tires I added) there's only 1" of clearance with the wheels turned.

I've noticed the lips trimmed on other spoiler equipted 79s(I look at every 78/79 I ever see!) but in most cases I don't know the original tire size.

And for what it's worth, I have a magazine article concerning a 'survivor' 79 with the spoilers and smaller tires and the fenders are trimmed.

Last edited by KapsSA; 05-19-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:52 AM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
My wife's car had the 225/70 tires, and was not equipped with the D80 spoiler package....
And that's why I posted.....

Originally Posted by KapsSA
I say "only' because NCRS judging HAS turned up a FEW that were needlessly trimmed.
And they seem to find it very rarely. A quote from the judging guide...
"One know original (one owner, full documentation) 1979 Corvette with "70 series" tires has been observed with factory trimming!"
Exclamation mark is theirs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket bumpers & spoilers, etc