Sponsored by:

Licence plate on tru flex 1976 bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:37 AM
C3smallblock
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Licence plate on tru flex 1976 bumper

I replaced my 76 bumper with a tru flex one from Willcox. The two raised front bumpers on the front are slightly closer together than on the urathane original. I now cannot put back the black metal licence plate backing because it does not fit between the bumpers. So i tried to put the licence plate directly on the bumper. The plate fits bu itself but not with a frame, and it looks odd without a frame. Anyone else with a truflex got any ideas?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:14 AM
1975greenconvertible
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I had the exact same problom when I did my 75. Got so fed up with the terrible fit I just gave the thing to a body shop. They had to grind out quite a bit of material to get the liscense bracket to fit. Its just another thing in the long line if reproduction parts that isn't quite right.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:31 PM
C3smallblock
Racer

Why the hell would they make a reproduction bumper and change the dimensions anyway? Did they think that we would not want to use licence plates? Idiots grrrr

I dont want to have to get it modified now, as the paint job has just been completed, so I guess I will have to just use the plate without a frame. Pity that after tens of thousands of dollars restoring the car, it gets let down by its licence plate! My recomendation would be dont touch Tru-Flex after market parts
Old 08-23-2010, 07:53 PM
plumbbob
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I placed the plate and marked the holes. Then drilled a 1/4"hole and with a small file squared the holes to fit the plate inserts from auto zone help counter.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Spook
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C3smallblock
I dont want to have to get it modified now, as the paint job has just been completed, so I guess I will have to just use the plate without a frame. Pity that after tens of thousands of dollars restoring the car, it gets let down by its licence plate! My recomendation would be dont touch Tru-Flex after market parts
I would go the route of modifying the lic plate and/or the frame you are using. Perhaps you can find a slimmer frame or just trim down the edges just enough.

I'm not really sure how small the difference is but figured you could maybe use looking at the problem from a different angle.

Good Luck
Old 08-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Jay-Dog
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny thing here in Wisconsin is that those frames are illegal. I've been ticketed for having one. In no way is that meant as an excuse for Wilcox but you may not want to use a frame if it becomes an excuse to get you pulled over.

Jay
Old 08-25-2010, 02:42 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

C3

I saw this thread about an hour ago and we have a newly installed Flexy glass bumper on a car in our shop. So.. I snagged a NOS lic. plate bracket and headed out with the camera to see if there was a problem.

The license plate bracket is a very tight squeeze between the two bumper extensions but as you can see below it did fit! I then went to a 79 we have here on the back lot that is a parts car and compared the two measurements and the license plate brackets.

The bracket should measure 12.25" from edge to edge. But, the bracket on the old original cover and the new one installed both fit very, very tightly between the bumpers. I really didn't find any issue aside from it being such a tight squeeze.

Is there a chance the bracket sides are bent a bit?

Also, if you want to mail your old license plate bracket to me, I can put it in the mill and take off say 1/16th or 1/8th from each side no charge. It's not a problem at all and this might solve your issue too.

Let me know,

Willcox Inc.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:59 PM
C3smallblock
Racer

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
C3

I saw this thread about an hour ago and we have a newly installed Flexy glass bumper on a car in our shop. So.. I snagged a NOS lic. plate bracket and headed out with the camera to see if there was a problem.

The license plate bracket is a very tight squeeze between the two bumper extensions but as you can see below it did fit! I then went to a 79 we have here on the back lot that is a parts car and compared the two measurements and the license plate brackets.

The bracket should measure 12.25" from edge to edge. But, the bracket on the old original cover and the new one installed both fit very, very tightly between the bumpers. I really didn't find any issue aside from it being such a tight squeeze.

Is there a chance the bracket sides are bent a bit?

Also, if you want to mail your old license plate bracket to me, I can put it in the mill and take off say 1/16th or 1/8th from each side no charge. It's not a problem at all and this might solve your issue too.

Let me know,

Willcox Inc.
Thanks for the info. I just went and checked everything again and my backing plate is not bent and it definately does not fit. But you have given me a good idea. If I trim about 3mm off either side of the licence plate backing plate, then the licenceplate will fit because the two bumpers are wider the further out they go. So I think this is do-able. Why on earth did they not make the Tru-Flex bumper the same dimensions as the original? I wrote to the manufacturers and asked them for their advice but they didn't reply, I guess they are a company that dont stand behind their products

Thanks Willcox for looking in to it for me, I appreciate your assistance.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:45 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

C3-

I can mill the bracket for you.. it's not a problem and will only take a few minutes if you want to send it to me.

But what I can't figure out is why the one we installed is the same measurements. I didn't put a tape to the two, but I plan on this tomorrow.

The bracket did fit very.. very snug... and the one in the shop is in primer.. not painted.. I know Toledo makes these on a mold and I wonder if the one you have could have maybe an extra thick jell coat on it or something.

I've installed this cover for years and I don't remember ever having this problem. But then again, we don't have front license plates in Indiana...

Willcox
Old 08-25-2010, 10:52 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I had this problem on mine too, so I just use the lic plate with no frame.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:27 PM
C3smallblock
Racer

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
C3-

I can mill the bracket for you.. it's not a problem and will only take a few minutes if you want to send it to me.

But what I can't figure out is why the one we installed is the same measurements. I didn't put a tape to the two, but I plan on this tomorrow.

The bracket did fit very.. very snug... and the one in the shop is in primer.. not painted.. I know Toledo makes these on a mold and I wonder if the one you have could have maybe an extra thick jell coat on it or something.

I've installed this cover for years and I don't remember ever having this problem. But then again, we don't have front license plates in Indiana...

Willcox
Thanks for the offer but I am in New Zealand so it would be easier to grind it down here than ship it away. I am puzzled by this one, the licence plate backing fits in the old urathane bumper so easily but the new one is just a diferent size. It now misses by mm but the diference is way more than that between the old bumper and the new one. I am about to go fit it so hopefully by my next post it wont be an issue any more
Old 08-25-2010, 11:44 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I had the same problem. I have a custom plate so I just did a little trim. The bumper is worth that much.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:53 AM
C3smallblock
Racer

Done and done!

Thanks Willcox for your tips. I ground the sides off (the thin flaps on either side that stick out toward the licence plate) using an angle grinder and repainted the backing plate. It is still a VERY snug fit, but a fit is a fit.

Licence with frame sits between the bumpers now and all is right with the world.

Kev
Old 08-26-2010, 02:36 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
I had this problem on mine too, so I just use the lic plate with no frame.
Same here.
Flex-fit was differen't than my OEM '79 bumper.
Had to leave the bracket off as well as the plate frame.

Before

After

Old 08-26-2010, 03:22 PM
sfallison
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by plumbbob
I placed the plate and marked the holes. Then drilled a 1/4"hole and with a small file squared the holes to fit the plate inserts from auto zone help counter.
That's what I did!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:27 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sfallison
That's what I did!
Old 09-04-2010, 11:57 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

This is interesting to say the least! I'm going to let the manufacturer know for sure and see if something can be done in the future.

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Licence plate on tru flex 1976 bumper

Quick Reply: Licence plate on tru flex 1976 bumper