BryanB75
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to change my screen name now...ugh..haha
Old 10-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

This is an interesting thread since I also have a 75' L48 that's been sitting in the garage for just over 20 years with about 50k miles on her. At the moment I'm rebuilding the rear end and everything is seized up. Not sure how your weather conditions compare to the Toronto Canada area but having this car sit for that long just makes everything more difficult to remove. I've had to walk away from this project many time due to shear frustration.

Good luck with your 75' and keep us posted please.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:06 AM
BryanB75
Racer

The garage was well insulated but not sure how well the ventilation was. Only issues I've found so far was a few dead mice and the split/cracked bumpers. I had to remove the carpet and seats due to them. I had already planned to replace both. I am debating on not even trying to get this motor ready to start and just building a different one. I'm not thrilled by a 160hp V8. I have to talk to my engine guy soon to see how fast I can afford to go..lol
I knew the bumpers were cracked but didn't know they were brittle too. On my drive from Illinois back to Colorado there were pieces of both from and rear bumper falling off. I would pick pieces off the trailer and pull loose ones from the car every time we stopped. I saw a few in the side mirror go bouncing down the road. I lost close to half of the front bumper and 10-20% of the rear bumper
Old 10-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

I know what you mean about the stock 165 hp from the L48 motor. I ended up rebuilding mine around 1980 and went with new cam, piston etc. and more then double the hp.
I'd get the car up and running, reliable, then work on the motor, but then you know your priorities better then anyone.

Thanks for the update and keep her alive.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:19 AM
HobbyPoor
Racer

When I bought the 82 im redoing, it had been sitting for 21 years. The owner said when he parked it, it had a full tank of full. When I got it it was empty, except for about a qt of black stinking goo i dug out of the fuel tank. It took couple weeks to fully get that smell out of my skin....
Old 10-15-2010, 03:38 PM
BryanB75
Racer

I'm hoping thast gas isn't that bad. If I get off work in time today I will begin that process. If not then tomorrow. I hate the smell of old gas. Even 1yr old gas is bad. I can't imagine what 20yrs will be like..ugh
Old 10-15-2010, 03:48 PM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Just my experience, but I will not rebuild a motor again. There is so much horsepower you can buy for such a small cost I would just pull the old motor and drop in a new one. Rebuild the trans, buy go new on the motor. Just my 2c. I have been down this road and wish I would have listened....
Old 10-15-2010, 04:48 PM
BryanB75
Racer

I just got off the phone with my engine guy. He's building me a 4 bolt 355 flat top motor. 400-425hp intake to oil pan for $2500.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:12 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If this Vette is original and #'s matching, you may want to consider rebuilding the original engine, and any other parts that need it. If you pull parts to replace, KEEP EVERYTHING you remove. A future buyer may want all the original parts. It's only original once!
Good luck with your vette. Let's see some pics!
Glenn

Edit; just saw the new engine info.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:32 PM
BryanB75
Racer

I'll keep the original engine bagged up just in case. I don't plan to sell it anytime soon but you know how that goes
Old 10-15-2010, 05:49 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanB75
Don't get me wrong...I appreciate all input. I was just saying the brakes "were" new. A lot can happen in 20 years
Every single piece of the brake system needs to be replaced, with the possible exceptions of the rotors and the pads. Don't scrimp here, just do it.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GD70
If you pull parts to replace, KEEP EVERYTHING you remove. A future buyer may want all the original parts. It's only original once!
At what point do you not keep the old part, when it doesn't have a number on it. Like in the case of bearings, brake lines, seals, bolts, etc?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:44 AM
BryanB75
Racer

I snapped a few pics but I can't upload anymore at the moment and I can't sign up for the premium membership at work, website blocked
I took out the gas tank. There was only 2-3 gallons in it. After I drained it I wiped it down inside with a white cloth and some good gas. No nasty residue inside and the liner look like new. Nothing wrong with the tank either so I just painted it. I did order a new sock for the fuel pickup.

I spent a little time washing and buffing out the paint. It looks really good for sitting 20 years minus a few bad spots. Not worth a repaint at this time. When the bumpers arrive, I will have them done to match as close as possible.

Got it in the garage and started tearing into the motor to get it out. Radiator will have to be replaced for sure. The top hose had some weird metal string things growing into the radiator. The bottom of the radiator was close to rusting through. A slight tap of a wrench verified that as the remainder of the antifreeze started coming out. I was prepared and had a drain pan already under it .
Tonight I will get the exhaust loose, A/C off and hopefully trans, converter and motor mount bolts out so I can pull it.

Still undecided on what to do for exhaust. I thought I wanted to run side pipes but am having second thoughts. Thinking about a Magnaflow or Flowmaster setup instead.

Thoughts on trans rebuild...Car has 43K miles and was all stock. My bro in-law did not drive it hard at all for the 1700 miles he had it. I think his wife drove it more. I might just replace front and rear seals and filter, shift kit maybe
Old 10-18-2010, 10:57 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanB75
I snapped a few pics but I can't upload anymore at the moment and I can't sign up for the premium membership at work, website blocked
I took out the gas tank. There was only 2-3 gallons in it. After I drained it I wiped it down inside with a white cloth and some good gas. No nasty residue inside and the liner look like new. Nothing wrong with the tank either so I just painted it. I did order a new sock for the fuel pickup.

I spent a little time washing and buffing out the paint. It looks really good for sitting 20 years minus a few bad spots. Not worth a repaint at this time. When the bumpers arrive, I will have them done to match as close as possible.

Got it in the garage and started tearing into the motor to get it out. Radiator will have to be replaced for sure. The top hose had some weird metal string things growing into the radiator. The bottom of the radiator was close to rusting through. A slight tap of a wrench verified that as the remainder of the antifreeze started coming out. I was prepared and had a drain pan already under it .
Tonight I will get the exhaust loose, A/C off and hopefully trans, converter and motor mount bolts out so I can pull it.

Still undecided on what to do for exhaust. I thought I wanted to run side pipes but am having second thoughts. Thinking about a Magnaflow or Flowmaster setup instead.

Thoughts on trans rebuild...Car has 43K miles and was all stock. My bro in-law did not drive it hard at all for the 1700 miles he had it. I think his wife drove it more. I might just replace front and rear seals and filter, shift kit maybe
How to post pics.
Go to photobucket.com and open a free account.
After your done, browse for the pics on your PC, pick & download the files. Once downloaded click on and copy the IMG code, mine does this automatically when I move the cursor over the code list below each image, and paste the code in your thread or post. You’re done.

When you dropped the tank, was the tank sticker in tact? Keep it and preserve it if it's there.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 AM
BryanB75
Racer

I have a photobucket already. I'll get a few uploaded there.

No sticker on the tank :-(
Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 AM
BryanB75
Racer

Try this:

Old 10-18-2010, 02:00 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello Bryan. I see you got the tank out and sending unit off ok. If sticker is still there it will be on the tank shield as mine was. Good luck with it all. mike...

Get notified of new replies

To First start in 20 years

Old 10-18-2010, 03:38 PM
BryanB75
Racer

There was nothing on the tank. I think the may have been removed when the rearend was rebuilt back in 1988

EDIT: mds3013 showed me the error in my thinking. He noticed the shield still attached to the car. I will take it down tonight and see what I find. Hopefully no more mice :-)

Last edited by BryanB75; 10-18-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Rowarrior
Instructor

Very interesting. Please keep us posted
Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 AM
BryanB75
Racer

Took the tank shield down last night, no sticker. No sign of anything ever being there. There was a TON of dirt up there. About 15 bolts holding it up there but the 1/2 impact made quick work of that. Once I got it down and inspected I figured it was a good time to hit it with a wire brush, some air and a little paint

Quick Reply: First start in 20 years