C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold start problems with rochester quadrajet. Fuel draining out of carb ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:05 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by spinadog
I was under the belief that if the acc. pump is bad, then you will get a 'cough' from the motor when you stab the accelerator...since it's not shooting a strong stream down the carb. This was the symptom with mine to which Lars responded to about 4 months ago. I'm with Roger on the check valve, though it seems odd that you replaced the carb and the problem disappeared.
Thanks for the reply, yes I put another carb on last week and it started right up.

Well it sat overnight, and I just came in from the garage. Pulled the air cleaner cover off, shined a light down the carb and there was a nice squirt of fuel. Turned the key and it started right up. My guess is the acc pump. I bet if i put the old pump back in the problem would be there again. Maybe as the motor cooled the little umbrella shrunk and didnt seal properly ? No carb guy here for sure, so I dont really know the answer, all I know is it started right up. The pump was from a place called carbs unlimited, if anyone else has similar problems, the fellow suggested the "heavy duty " pump. I must say it does give a great squirt now. Thanks again to all.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:07 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by jersey68l36
IMHO, looking at the pic of the epoxied fuel wells, the one in the front is leaking, draining the bowl. If it was my carb, would re-epoxy the front well.
It didnt leak but now that you mention it, thats a good idea. Perhaps I should have while it was apart. I can just hope its ok in the future. Thank you.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:28 PM
jersey68l36
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I find that preparation is important when repairing for a leak fuel bowl, otherwise it will start leaking again. Lately I been glass beading the area to be expoxied. Having tried all sorts of epoxies is the stuff that seems to work the best is called All Crafts Profession Epoxy.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:14 PM
DRhodes
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 69 Firebird has a quadrajet carb and it starts hard when cold. I have been trying to find a fuel filter with the check valve and black rubber gasket but I can't find one. Do you know where I can get one?
Old 05-06-2020, 08:03 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

did you see this is a 10 year old thread?
Old 05-07-2020, 08:41 AM
DRhodes
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
did you see this is a 10 year old thread?
Yes I saw it 2 days ago.

Quick Reply: Cold start problems with rochester quadrajet. Fuel draining out of carb ?