Sponsored by:

Trying Again: Ceramic Coated Headers Input

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 05:30 PM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Trying Again: Ceramic Coated Headers Input

Hi - Got chewed out last week for mistaking powder coating for ceramic coating - never too old to learn! Thanks for the feedback!
Never did get what I was seeking - input from those that have ceramic coated their headers, and some images of color choices.
I'm leaning heavily to just flat black, as I don't want to get loud and obnoxious (as they are already "loud" in dB's).
Car is blue - not that that should matter.
Headers are currently a tarnishy chrome (see image below), and I'm mainly looking for the new coating to help further my clean-up efforts and under-hood appearance.
Any photos and input comments would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 05-05-2020, 07:17 PM
metal tech
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

maybe this info will help you. I recently priced getting an exh system coated inside & outside by JetHot. I want a satin black exterior, the black is a "top coat", not a base coat which is the silver you always see. That silver can be raw or polished (tumbled in ceramic stones), I had a set of headers done in raw unpolished (polished is same $$) silver, it is between your chrome air cleaner and the valve covers (cleaned up a little). Back to the black, the black topcoat took the $$ from 425 (silver) to 561 (black topcoat). Many years (12+) ago I had an exhaust manifold and a turbo exh housing coated, manifold got JetHot 2000 and turbo got Swain. The JetHot has brown/rust stains showing thru (less than 2 yrs) and the Swain turbo housing looks like new. The Swain has a much rougher surface texture (think 80 grit) the jet hot is more like a hammertone paint (not mirror smooth). PM me your ph & I'll send pics.

Last edited by metal tech; 05-05-2020 at 07:19 PM. Reason: message unfinished
Old 05-05-2020, 08:38 PM
twinpack
Drifting

Received 349 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm trying to show you close to chrome ceramic coating. I had the entire system coated inside and out in an effort to increase exhaust scavenging and reduce under hood heat.

Last edited by twinpack; 05-05-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:54 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

There are several ceramic header coating places around the country. Probably one near you. There are a lot of color choices available as many are offering top coating after ceramic coating. Basic ceramic coating comes in a variety of colors as well and also comes in a variety of temperature ratings. Here is just one example: https://ccpcoatings.com/portfolio-view/ceramic-coating/ I don't know anything about this particular company. I just bookmarked the page because they have a photo of various color ceramic coatings.

DC

Old 05-06-2020, 07:01 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

A company named JET HOT ceramic coated my headers inside and out in the chrome finish about 10 years ago. Coating is holding up nicely although the shiny chrome look has dulled. Me and my opinion like the look. T
Old 05-06-2020, 08:03 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by twinpack
I'm trying to show you close to chrome ceramic coating. I had the entire system coated inside and out in an effort to increase exhaust scavenging and reduce under hood heat.

Those are some nice damn headers....whose are they? And do you have pics of the collector extensions to the exhaust?

Jebby
Old 05-06-2020, 08:05 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

QC coatings in Michigan and Jet Hot are the best in this industry IMHO. But know that they will have to remove the chrome and that adds cost.
I had my vintage Hedman's done a while back here from a guy that has now closed shop....he did a nice job but it was almost $400 to remove the chrome and coat.

Jebby
Old 05-06-2020, 08:32 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Chrome headers are like a black car on the showroom floor. Looks good the first day, then . . . . . . . not so much.

If you like the shiny look without the need to polish and will not turn to burnt blue, check into the "Polished" finish. Often seen on Valve Covers & headers.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:55 AM
dzhrp7
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I used QC coatings in Shelby Township Michigan for some rusty Hooker Super Comps (BBC, Camaro) and new painted Hedmans (BBC, Corvette). They also did all the pipes and mufflers. Haven't run the Corvette yet, but the Camaro system looked good as new after three years.
The following users liked this post:
Jebbysan (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 11:35 AM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

So now a half -dozen responders say JET HOT.....do you believe me now????
Old 05-06-2020, 02:32 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Jet Hot, CermaKrome, or Cerakote.........these are all good. Get the coating inside as well as outside of the headers. Here's a pic of my 427 on the dyno with my headers. They are Hooker Super Comps, Cerakoted, which I had on my 383 before the 427 sb.They looked just as good for over 10 years, when I sold them and got a 440 sb.

The following users liked this post:
HeadsU.P. (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 03:37 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

Well, OK. Hate to be contrary. Had my Hedman hedders coated by Jethot. Not happy with the result. Rust here and there. Would like to have the headers duplicated in stainless steel. I have the Hedman hedders that were made to be compatible with the stock factory side exhausts made for the 1969 Corvettes. I think they are no longer in stock according to the Hedman catalog, but I was able to find a set from Summit Racing. I have the stock 69 side exhausts on my 68.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:36 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I had mine done locally. I asked about flat black which they also offer but they advised against it. Said that they only recommend the flat black for turbo application as it holds up to higher temps than the polished silver but isn't nearly as good at heat reflection so your engine bay will be much hotter.

Cost was $275 and that included extra cost for removing the left over ceramic coating from Hooker that had failed miserably (much of it flaked off, and even where it didn't flake there were rust spots). I'm very happy with how much my engine compartment temps have dropped. Much lower temp than the Hooker coating ever gave me. It's been a year and so far so good, no deterioration. As for this finish, they called it "ceramakote" I think.

Last edited by zwede; 05-06-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:54 AM
twinpack
Drifting

Received 349 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Those are some nice damn headers....whose are they? And do you have pics of the collector extensions to the exhaust?

Jebby
they are Hooker headers. I will get pictures of the collectors

Get notified of new replies

To Trying Again: Ceramic Coated Headers Input

Quick Reply: Trying Again: Ceramic Coated Headers Input