Sponsored by:

Installing the left side dash assy - '73

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 02:27 PM
udornf4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing the left side dash assy - '73

And I was so proud of myself - restoring the Speedo and Tach cleaning everything up. Yesterday, I bolted (actually screwed) the assembly to the dash/door jam, and center guage cluster. Everything bolted up nicely.

Today - I decide to hook up the last few items, the trip reset cable and the Speedo cable - NOPE! The speedo output fitting is about a millimeter away from the two support rods holding the cage together. I cannot get the speedo cable onto the speedo!!!

These two cage support rods form a "V" at the driver's left of the steering column. Does the Speedo Cable go "between" those two rods?

The AIM doesn't show this detail.

I can't be the only one who has run into this.

Thanks

EDIT: Took the assy out and tried to put it back in. With everything bolted up = the tach and speedo cases hit the cast iron center steering column support!!!

This assy came out of THIS car. It won't go back in...

I have been into cars and corvette for 35 years - totally dumbfounded on this one.

???

Last edited by udornf4; 11-29-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 PM
udornf4
Racer

bump
Old 11-29-2010, 10:59 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had no problem getting the cable to attach to the speedo in my 73. Have you taken the shortest route for the cable, is it the same cable going back in, or a replacement, if a replacement, did you compare the length of each. Other than that I got nothing else, unless someone else chimes in.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:03 AM
JasonC3
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldsarge
I had no problem getting the cable to attach to the speedo in my 73. Have you taken the shortest route for the cable, is it the same cable going back in, or a replacement, if a replacement, did you compare the length of each. Other than that I got nothing else, unless someone else chimes in.

It sure sounds like a routing issue....

Old 11-30-2010, 10:27 AM
udornf4
Racer

thanks, guys!. I think I have found the culprit. The CENTER Gauge cluster is pushed too far forward at it's base (it's just sitting there on it's movable lower mount - without the console installed).

Since the Speedo/Tach assy is screwed to the gauge assy - it is taking it too far forward.

Does anyone have a picture of a 70-75 left side with the speedo and tach assy removed??

My bad for not taking this pic..
Old 11-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Check the routing of the main dash harness across the back of the dash. Some route under the speedo/tach, others route over them. The AIM should show the correct route for your year.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:51 PM
jamesa779
Cruising

Default Any luck with your dash?

I'm having the exact same problem with my speedo/tach dash pad. The speedo cable runs right into the column cross members. It also seems like the drivers side section of the dash is on quite a bind. I've struggled with this the past couple of days and noticed the tacho starting to separate from the dash pad so i decided to seek consult... I've done a complete interior resto and this is the final piece to the puzzle. My center consol lined up perfect with everything else but its seems like that is whats causing the binding in the drivers side?? If you've found a solution i'd love to hear it.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

I struggled with that on mine for days. I believe the cables go above the rod supports but You have to keep adjusting angle and aligning screw holes. I think the steering wheel has to be in the lowered position with the two support bolts removed.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 AM
udornf4
Racer

Originally Posted by Timsride
I struggled with that on mine for days. I believe the cables go above the rod supports but You have to keep adjusting angle and aligning screw holes. I think the steering wheel has to be in the lowered position with the two support bolts removed.

I finally got mine in - yes, the speedo cable goes ABOVE the support bars (Convertible only). Although it's in and dash looks good - the speedo case still "touches" the big cast center support.

Now, I'm fighting with the shifter console. It's a worse fit than the dash
Old 04-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just replaced the dash pad (from Corvette America). My hands are scratched and dirty but it is in. That was so hard. There is very little room. Almost every wire has to be in the proper place. Hardest part was stuffing everything back in. That Corvette America dash pad fit perfectly. After hearing all these forum stories I was concerned about fit. Several times, I blamed the part but it was always my fault not positioning everything. Slow and easy. Took breaks whenever I faced failure. Done! Yes!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

When I was restoring my car I was wondering how they ever made this a production car?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Tim,
I often thought the same thing!
Then I remembered.... the workers were often doing the same task THOUSANDS of times!
Still... quite a nasty job to do only a couple of times.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-14-2011, 04:55 PM
JasonC3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Timsride
When I was restoring my car I was wondering how they ever made this a production car?
The first thing I attempted to repair when I purchased my 1976 was the tach electronics. It was a terrible project to start with...I almost sent the car down the road thinking that everything on it was going to be this difficult!

Get notified of new replies

To Installing the left side dash assy - '73

Quick Reply: Installing the left side dash assy - '73