Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Long Way Home to Australia

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 12:24 AM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those fees should be illegal.250 for steam cleaning.where I live anything over 13 years old you don't pay sales tax on.permanent plates 28.50.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Glad to hear you have your car now. Sorry about the jack, Lets see some pic's..... good luck happy motoring!
Old 04-12-2011, 02:17 AM
corvettdreamin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally in my driveway

Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettdreamin
It failed its first inspection and then had to be steam cleaned and then reinspected.
What were they inspecting it for, bed bugs? Steam cleaned...what the heck did they screw up when they did that?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Hadez
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!!! Some of these cars have gone the long way around the world to get to Australia. I sold my red 69 vette to a great guy in Australia 3 years ago and it was a totally different experience. He had the car shipped from Miami, FL to Los Angeles, CA. From there it was loaded on a ship directly to Australia. A lot shorter journey as car was in the container for the ship a total of 25 days. I know this as I had a Viper Alarm GPS tracking system on the car that some how registered on the Australian cell networks and started sending me messages all the way back here to the USA. The GPS signal was dead for 25 days then all of a sudden I get a warning message car was moving without running (like it is being towed) and it was coming all the way from Australia. They took it out of the container and were transporting it. In all it was a total of about 6 weeks from the time they picked up the vette from Miami to the time he got it. It sat in LA for about 1 week till it was loaded into a container. I sent the car spotless with fresh wax and amorall and a TON of extra parts stuffed everywhere. All the parts arrived with no problems but the car was filthy dirty. It was with a new Mustang and a truck in the container. Could not believe my eyes how dirty the car got but it cleaned up nicely.

So maybe look into shipping car from California as its a much shorter trip.

Enjoy your vettes in Australia!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:32 PM
puzzigully
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chris,

I did a similar thing a couple of years ago.

Looks like you sent yours along with other cars in the container?

I was a bit nervous about damage etc, so I opted to send it in a 20 foot container by itself.
The shipping costs were $3035 and customs/taxes etc were $3,300 (yours was $3169) - the difference was my purchase price was a little higher than yours.

I did it when the Aussie dollar was at 80cents, now at $1.05 it would be a better bargain!!
It would have saved me approx $5,500 over the total cost.

The only problem with that logic is that you can't buy a 28,000 mile 1978 L82 Pace Car for $13,000 anymore!

I couldn't be happier and I'm sure you are the same!

Russ
Old 04-13-2011, 10:38 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Congrats!!!!

corvettedreaming,

Congratulations on your new toy! It looks great. My '74 is also a white L48 manual coupe. I've fitted a Borgeson power steering box and it made a ton of difference to the way it steers and handles. I had to fix a big hole in the front fender that was caused by someone in the transport chain after it left the seller in Fremont, but it arrived otherwise OK.

It had a pile of parts in it including some genuine Corvette aluminum wheels - nothing appeaered to have been nicked.

I drove it around on the CA rego until it ran out last year and have been pretty busy since then and the car sat for several months. I've been working on it the last week and hope to have some plates on it next week so I can drive it to the Corvette Convention over Easter.

So, I've got August 14 clear in my diary, I just need your address. You can ring me most evenings on 9502-3227, but I hope to meet you sooner. Going to the Convention?

Let me know when it's registered and we can hook up for a cruise somewhere, before winter sets in.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 04-13-2011, 07:01 PM
puzzigully
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

aussiejohn,

are you going to the Corvettes Rev 'N' Easter at Docklands?

I'm not entering as I can't give up the whole weekend, but am going on saturday for the Show N Shine!

Will be driving down to take a look.

Are you an Entrant or a visitor like me?

Russ
Old 04-14-2011, 05:29 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I already miss this car, but it went to a great guy. Good luck with the car. I am happy it went to a good home.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

corvettdreamin & jsbwac

Looks like we have the same taste in cars. Here is a picture of my first vette in the spring of '76....a 3000 mile '75 L48 with saddle interior

Old 04-15-2011, 07:32 AM
jimo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Russ,

its a great feeling seeing your vette for the first time after the long trip!!!
i remember standing in my freight forwarders yard waiting for the doors to open and hoping the vette is still sitting where it was put and not smashed up against the container wall!!

why did customs make you clean her?

jim
Old 04-15-2011, 08:16 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

wow, add 50% to your purchase price, with all those agencys getting their paws in the deal..
I guess when you decide to play the game, you have to go all out..

I appreciate the breakdown, most people won't admit their total cost so this is a big education thread..

The more foreign buyers that can show success stories instead of all the scam stories on this forum, the better it is for our hobby..

If I ever sell ( could be in a couple of years due to kid starting college) I hope I can attract foreign buyers also, increasing the car's marketability.

it is a shame though that so much has to go to grease so many agencys that hold the car hostage... talk about corruption....

I wonder what honda had to pay to ship cars from japan and how much that bit into their bottom line before they decided to build factories here in the states?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:08 AM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by puzzigully
aussiejohn,

are you going to the Corvettes Rev 'N' Easter at Docklands?

I'm not entering as I can't give up the whole weekend, but am going on saturday for the Show N Shine!

Will be driving down to take a look.

Are you an Entrant or a visitor like me?

Russ
Russ,
Stop by my trade stand as well. Invisible Car Bras - Green 68 ragtop
James
Old 04-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Gorgeous car. Love the color (but I'm a tad biased). Sorry to read that the jack and lug wrench got lifted but otherwise, it's in your capable hands now!

Shame we can't all get over to that 50th bash you're planning...

Congratulations, enjoy the new-to-you ride, and keep us posted with new adventures. Who doesn't love a good story?

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: The Long Way Home to Australia