Life Interrupted, With a Few Pictures - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life Interrupted, With a Few Pictures

Old 02-10-2011, 01:43 AM
Dustup7T2
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rebelrob View Post

Ed, your rear spring and rim are way close. ...
Nice and clean under there.
Rob, so did you end up putting the 17" dia wheel or 18" on your ride?

I went out to the shop a little while ago and took these pics. Even though I didn't grab a ruler for reference (floor was like ice!), you can see I might have as much as 3/4 or 7/8 inch clearance from edge of spring to nearest part of rim.

Here's the drivers side:

Pass:

I dunno. Mine's not a problem but we all have read, your mileage may vary.

Let me know if I can help.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Rebelrob
CF Senior Member

I got the 18's like you. We have similar taste...
I got some pics in my profile.

Yeah, that is about the same distance I got, but with 5.0 bs. I need to go look at mine. I have the original composite spring. It's a little spongy for me and its on the upgrade to do list for a new VBP spring. Maybe there springs are shorter than stock. I do not know. I think I read you have off set T/A's, but not sure if that makes a difference or not. I think that is to fit a wider tire. I have learned that the more Vette's you look they all seem to be slightly different in the spacing of the rear end/components
Did you have your E brake mount and cable moved? Just curious...
Also what camber are you running? Did you do your own alignment. Any problems with abnormal tire wear on that long road trip?
As mentioned, it looks nice and clean under there. You did a great job. Thanks for the detailed pics.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Dustup7T2
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's where I've been watching the rear tire setup for any interference. Obviously, no contact is most desirable. In my case, I'm putting up with this and it's do-able; I'll live with it.

Pass side:

Drivers side:

The inside tire edges show where they kiss the car and the results can be seen in post #41. If anything, it depends on any extra weight I may load in (buddies, GF's, kids, car show gear) but when I'm alone, I do not notice or hear anything constant.

I run no spacers and use std length studs. There are no known clearance mods to body or frame other than offset TA's and as previously stated, their influence for wide tires has little to no effect. (I told Rob, I think they look bitchin' anyway and all their components are new. Wasn't a bad move and TA rebuilds better left to pros.)

E-brake cable routes across top of arm by design, you can see them in either picture.

I did perform my own alignment, beginning with the rear axle, per informed suggestion. I used the jackstand and string method along with a level, metal ruler, and carpenters square. Adjusted to 1/2 degree negative camber and 1/32 total (1/16 per side) for toe.

I also referenced Lars fine instructions and combined the theory to understand where to leverage to get the desired results.

I cataloged both axle measurements before disassembly and recreated them on reassembly. The previous setup was not showing abnormal handling or wear and figured it would get me in the ballpark. It did.

Since this is a street setup, I kept that in mind while torquing down pivot points.

Considering how expensive z-rated tires are (even cheap ones), I also located a reputable alignment shop locally to do the front only. Mostly because I had never done my own wheel alignment before and didn't want to base the cars safety on my inexperience. Too much at stake.

Turns out, my ballpark settings and checks needed an extra shim on drivers side to fall inline with the VB&P street settings I asked them to follow.

I've run over 5K miles and the tires show an even, flat wear pattern. Without a tire budget to replace these, I haven't thrown the car around a lot but it sure handles great. If the road isn't crowned or rutted badly, it will track straight and true hands-off-steering at highway speeds for as long as a minute or so.

The results to the effort are very satisfying.

Last edited by Dustup7T2; 02-10-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Rebelrob
CF Senior Member

Yep, that is getting very close. I guess that is what the difference in a 5.0 - 5.5 bs. Well as long as they are not rubbing all the time, then you should be fine. You obviously took a long road trip with no problems. My pass side comes in closer than the driver for whatever reason. As I said, mine look to be about the same distance as yours. I have the stock T/A's. Thanks for the pics.
I checked and could not find any kiss/rub marks like you have above. So far so good.
Here are a few pics. Yes, I know I need to cut my spring bolts.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Faster Rat
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dustup7T2 View Post
First person to get a ride on the shakedown run was my oldest grandson; to say he was thrilled would be an understatement. He helped work on the car as time allowed when my daughter needed a break (he was 10 last year) so he had a vested interest, as it were. More explaining than twisting wrenches but I showed him to lay hands on the dead to breathe life back in.
Eddie
That will likely end up being a bigger accomplishment than what you have done to your beautiful car. Our toys come and go but quality time with your grandson is priceless. When my two boys were growing up, I was too broke and too busy making a living as a single father. Luckily my dad had the time to spend with the youngest working on cars and it shows in him to this day. My only problem now is my 4 grandaughters live over 300 miles away. The oldest is 9 and the only thing I have heard is that she wants to drive the vette to her senior prom. At least she thinks I'm "cool."
Dennis
Old 02-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Dustup7T2
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Dennis. You know the drill: yourself being a Grandpa too. You are the cool Grand Dad with the Corvette and yea for all of us who qualify.

I'm glad to read how your Dad gave your son that direction. That's all I'm trying to do with mine. Too many kids don't have a male influence that a real Dad offers to do, looking after family. For whatever reasons, life gets in the way and we do what we have to, keeping it all together. Glad you came through that as best you could.

I feel fortunate to have had that time with this little guy because any parent knows how quickly time flys. Then the kids are grown and gone.

They moved away last spring and I haven't seen him since. I try to stay in touch and remind him of the times we enjoyed. He remembers and that makes it worthwhile.

He was fascinated with making different combination's with ratchets, asking lots of questions. Hence:

He knows better about proper reassembly (as one of the members states in his avatar: anybody can take 'em apart!) and Gabe helped bolt the shifter handle in:

I think I like this one best, for obvious reasons:

I've been meaning to enlarge it to hang in the shop.

Good luck with the grand daughter when that prom finally rolls around. Those times are always keepers and the car is simply, icing on the cake.

Thanks again for the good vibes, Brother !
Old 02-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Dustup7T2
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rebelrob View Post
... Yes, I know I need to cut my spring bolts.

I've seen them way worse: yours, not so much but you're still in R&D mode, right? We tweak the parts and pieces to keep them alive and tuned to our satisfaction.

In the end, we are the only ones to please. Enjoy the ride!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:48 PM
GREGG-73
CF Senior Member

Future NCRS judge......

Great photos all....

Stay in tune...
Old 02-11-2011, 10:36 PM
glackore
CF Senior Member

Dustup 7T2,

Awesome pictoral! Your car looks great. I am glad to see the pics of the wheel/tire combo clearance. I have my new 17/18 wheels coming. I bought Vintage Wheel V40s 17x8 w/4"BS and 18x9.5 w/5" BS. My stance is very close to yours. Now I need to get the 4:56's out of the rear and get something in that is driveable. It runs like a raped ape up to 100mph but you certainly can't hold it there! I think a 4:10 with a TKO will do the trick. Thanks again, your post was way cool!

Gary
Old 02-11-2011, 11:46 PM
LS7Vette
CF Senior Member

Great pics, love the one on the tracks !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 AM
newbie2vette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by GREGG-73 View Post
Future NCRS judge......

Great photos all....

Stay in tune...
Dustup,

This is a great photo, father of four myself passing on the passion it is one of the greatest feeling a father can have. Thank you for sharing, I probably missed it. In one of the photos showing the mph and rpm. What trans mod/rear end have you done? Saving money for a 5 speed trans.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:59 AM
rudolph schenker
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cool pics!
Old 08-19-2011, 12:19 PM
aks801
CF Senior Member

Great write-up of the trip! On a few motorcycle sites I frequent, there are a bunch of trip reports, and I enjoy them immensely. Sadly there are not that many here in C3 land, but I suppose that's the nature of the beast.

Sure would like to see some more updates by the OP.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:35 PM
69VetteFla
CF Senior Member

Awesome pics at the beginning of the thread and love the pics of the kid having fun
Old 08-19-2011, 06:30 PM
SmokedTires
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Thats one sweet ride
Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Dustup7T2
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, didn't expect to see this here today and glad you guys are still enjoying it. Thanks. Guess I need to get some more travel pics posted up.

Originally Posted by newbie2vette View Post
Dustup,

This is a great photo, father of four myself passing on the passion it is one of the greatest feeling a father can have. Thank you for sharing, I probably missed it. In one of the photos showing the mph and rpm. What trans mod/rear end have you done? Saving money for a 5 speed trans.
Hi n2v. Yeah, that's my first Grandson and I miss having him around. My daughter relocated out of town so I'm hoping the little bit of time we had together, won't be lost to him as he grows in new surroundings. I get to see him in 2 weeks so pretty happy about that; making another round-trip from CO to West Texas again, then.

Re: trans/rear gear. TKO600 and rebuilt 3:55 (with a few non-stock additions).

Originally Posted by aks801 View Post
Great write-up of the trip! On a few motorcycle sites I frequent, there are a bunch of trip reports, and I enjoy them immensely. Sadly there are not that many here in C3 land, but I suppose that's the nature of the beast.

Sure would like to see some more updates by the OP.
Let me see what I can do to influence that. I've been considering how to deliver more updates but work gets in the way of my fun. There's got to be something to add...

Couple of nice Catholic girls from the local church were offering aid to the sick. All of a sudden, I had aches and pains and asked for their help. This was at a Denver rock station's show held at Bandimere Speedway, last June. They comforted me nicely. I'm a recovering church-goer now.

Originally Posted by 69VetteFla View Post
Awesome pics at the beginning of the thread and love the pics of the kid having fun
Originally Posted by SmokedTires View Post
Thats one sweet ride
Thank you, Gents. I grin like a kid myself, every time I roll this puppy out the shop door, for cruising or a show. Got a little show locally in an hour or so, at a converted A&W drive-in called Fatso's. Living in a small town here, they get quite a few of the local hot rods to show up.

I'll post up later what shows up.

Last edited by Dustup7T2; 08-19-2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: add text
Old 04-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Factor
CF Senior Member

Great Pics! Love the "future NCRS judge!"

Ron
Old 04-15-2015, 12:59 PM
doorgunner
Doorgunner's '68 Project
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Great Pics! Love the "future NCRS judge!"

Ron
He probably is a judge by now.....that was a 2011 thread.

Last edited by doorgunner; 04-15-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:55 AM
Dustup7T2
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Fortunately, after 5 years for both since the photos were taken, Gabe and the car are both doing well. He's 16 this year and the car ... well, the car is old but wants to be 16, too.

Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by Dustup7T2; 04-16-2015 at 02:57 AM. Reason: add text

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Life Interrupted, With a Few Pictures

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: