Sponsored by:

Any Opinions on Astro Tops?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:55 AM
beige79
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Any Opinions on Astro Tops?

Ok, since I broke one of my M1131 tops and have purchased a replacement set, I am looking for an inexpensive alternative for everyday use, be it a set of standard fiberglass tops or maybe one of these 1 piece Thompson Astro tops. Looking for feedback from anyone that has one of these Astros (or has seen them), because I have yet to notice one on the CF.

They are lightweight acrylic panels that only weigh 17 pounds. Can be stored inside the car. They don't look bad in the photos, but may look completely different in person. Inexpensive also at $389. I know it won't look as good as the M1131s, but I don't want it to look cr*ppy either.

Anyway, any feedback would be cool!

Old 02-27-2011, 12:31 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's the one I have on my 68

[IMG][/IMG]

It does look good. I like it for the increased headroom, plus it doesn't rattle and squeak like the T-tops do. Since most of my driving is top-off, I use it mainly for colder weather driving, keeping dirt out when the car is in the garage, or if I need to lock the car up.

It serves its purpose on my 68, but the downside is it leaks, scratches easily, and is made of acrylic which can break if you're too rough with it. I wouldn't want to depend on it for a DD

You might be better off with a set of factory tops, or if you like the glass tops the same company that sells the Astro top can also replace the glass in your tops with Lexan, though I have never seen them and can't vouch for their quality
Old 02-27-2011, 12:47 PM
beige79
Instructor

Thanks. Looks pretty good on your 68. My car is definitely not a daily driver. I would probably use it the same as you are and the car will never intentionally see rain. Thanks again for your input!
Old 02-27-2011, 01:02 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by beige79
Thanks. Looks pretty good on your 68. My car is definitely not a daily driver. I would probably use it the same as you are and the car will never intentionally see rain. Thanks again for your input!
You mentioned "everyday use" so I thought you meant your car would be driven everyday

Want to add also that the window area is where the leakage happens, supposedly the weatherstrip on the top can be tweaked to minimize the leaks but I haven't tried it....I just try to be careful not to spray it directly when washing the car
Old 02-27-2011, 01:44 PM
beige79
Instructor

Originally Posted by 682XLR8
You mentioned "everyday use" so I thought you meant your car would be driven everyday

Want to add also that the window area is where the leakage happens, supposedly the weatherstrip on the top can be tweaked to minimize the leaks but I haven't tried it....I just try to be careful not to spray it directly when washing the car
My bad. I did say that, but I guess I meant more for "recreational" use. Like short trips to the beach or meeting friends, stuff like that. That's how I broke the glass top last weekend, on a short Sunday drive.

Now that the weather is warming up, I will be using the car more on weekends and I prefer the tops off like you, but need to secure the car at times and it is nice to have tops along for the ride if a shower pops up. I can see now that using fragile, rare glass tops all the time might not be smart.

I think my glass tops leak a little anyway (same place - around the top of the glass). Out of 5 C3s that I have had owned over the years, I'm not sure that any of them were exactly water tight. Kind of comes with the territory.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:20 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 310 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Astro tops ?

I had one on my 79, after someone stole the tops and the seats. Turns out the guy had been stealing Corvette parts for months, got the attention of a cop one night, and the dumbass took a shot at the cop, Now he was in deep s^&%, the officer put out a call on the guy and he ran in his pickup truck. Well you know waht happened, he thought he had lost the police, turns out he lead them right to the storage site he had. The police from three counties, his chances of escaping were about a million to one, he didn't take anymore shots, but the cops gave him one more chance to give up, then they turned lose a canine dog, he gave up alright, after the dog nearly bit off his hand. Long story short, he had about 300 parts from every thing from C2 and C3 & C4. Got sentanced to five to ten years in Delaware county prison. A whole long list of things including attempted murder of a police officer. Idiot !

They contacted all the people who had lodged a complaint about the theft reports. Turns out I got my tops back. Between the creep who was stealing parts and the cops tearing things apart looking for ID tags, they were a mess, but I got two t-tops back, they were really smashed up, but I got them. The leather doeskin colored seats never showed up, but the baige t-tops I got back and took them to a corvette body shop and they did a great job of rebuilding them.

But the Astro top wasn't the greatest fit, but for the money it is a bargain. It sure fit better than the t-tops did after I got them back, I spent a year trying to adjusting them and I gave up in 1997. Never took them off again. But the astro top was a good buy and it did fit the car. sits a little bit higher than stock, but you won't even notice it.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:07 PM
beige79
Instructor

Originally Posted by killain
But the Astro top wasn't the greatest fit, but for the money it is a bargain. It sure fit better than the t-tops did after I got them back, I spent a year trying to adjusting them and I gave up in 1997. Never took them off again. But the astro top was a good buy and it did fit the car. sits a little bit higher than stock, but you won't even notice it.
Well, you know the glass tops don't sit flush with the body either. Not like the fiberglass tops. I think it is normal for them to sit up about 1/8" or more where they meet the roof. So, that is no big deal. Did it stow easily behind the seat? Looks pretty large to go back there without at least a little effort.

The place where I found this top also shows the picture below that has some sort of headliner on the underside. I don't think this comes with the top and there is no mention of it anywhere on the site. This looks kind of nice and would hide the T-Bar when viewed from outside. I might write to them and see what this is. That might be a C4 top.

Last edited by beige79; 02-27-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:10 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got them on my 75 for 10 years no problem at all
Old 02-27-2011, 05:38 PM
BrianP
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep one on my '81 during the winter months. It seals a little better than the glass tops and I like the look.

It isn't as easy to store in the back as the glass tops. It's very bulky.

I bought mine at a Corvette show where Thompson was exhibiting. They had a great show price and I didn't have to pay shipping (watch that carefully).

The bottom line is that the Astrotop is OK, but not outstanding.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 PM
beige79
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrianP
I keep one on my '81 during the winter months. It seals a little better than the glass tops and I like the look.

It isn't as easy to store in the back as the glass tops. It's very bulky.

I bought mine at a Corvette show where Thompson was exhibiting. They had a great show price and I didn't have to pay shipping (watch that carefully).

The bottom line is that the Astrotop is OK, but not outstanding.

Thanks Brian. That is about what I figured. OK, but not outstanding. If they were spectacular, a lot more people would have them. I do like the look, now that I have seen a few examples of them on CF member cars.

The shipping is $90, which I suppose is not that bad for something that size that is fragile (insured). Still not sure I will get it or not, but I appreciate the feedback. Nothing too negative so far.

Last edited by beige79; 02-27-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah the semi-annual astro top question, we must be appoaching spring

My take on the Astro top
Old 02-28-2011, 12:59 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had pair (t-tops) on my 79 for over 20 years now and never had problem... I do remember that they changed the locking mechanism method on the rear of them sometime in the 1990's and when I inquired about the new "system" at Carilsie one year AstroTops just handed me the new parts at no charge...

Bob G.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedRacerMach (05-14-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Any Opinions on Astro Tops?

Quick Reply: Any Opinions on Astro Tops?