Sponsored by:

1982 silver gray leather seat covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:22 PM
gevans
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 silver gray leather seat covers

Does anyone know where I can find silver gray seat covers for a 1982 Corvette. This was a stock color for 1982, but now I cannot find it anywhere. Help!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:12 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by gevans
Does anyone know where I can find silver gray seat covers for a 1982 Corvette. This was a stock color for 1982, but now I cannot find it anywhere. Help!
All the Corvette vendors carry them. Some may refer to it as Slate Gray leather, but they are readily available. In Corvette America's catalog, it is their interior color #68.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,434 Likes on 778 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

gbvette62 is correct. Silver/grey and slate are the same. I have the same colour interior in my 82 and have ordered parts in both colours and they match.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:43 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

If you go to Al Knoch's web site, he does list a color "silver grey".
Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 PM
rvazquez
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

is it for a 1982 Collectors edition ? I know those are hard to find and are expensive
here is a link to the 1982 picture thread that is currently circulating, maybe if you see the shade of interior you are looking for you can pm that owner to find out more info.
Hope it helps some
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...to-thread.html

Regards
Roy

Last edited by rvazquez; 03-05-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: added link
Old 03-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by rvazquez
...is it for a 1982 Collectors edition ?...
Shouldn't be. The CEs had their own interior trim code (592). Silver grey is 13C or 132.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:16 PM
gevans
Advanced

Thank you for all your replies! You're right Easy Mike - it's not the collectors edition - I have a 2-tone silver blue and dark navy blue ext., and silver gray interior...I've contacted Al Knoch and they have been out of the silver gray for a while. They sent me a swatch of the closest thing they had but there was a difference in the shading. Another company sent me a swatch of slate and there was a slight difference in the shading as well. Seems like silver gray is long gone. Guess I'll going to have to decide on a color and possibly get new door panels to match as well.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:56 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

gevans...

If your seat covers are still in servicible condition, but need to be recolored, you can get that job done with SEM ColorCoat 'elastomeric coloring agent' (also known as 'vinyl dye'). It colors plastic, rubber, and/or leather about as well as anything. It stays flexible, so it won't peel or chip from your leather seats. I've used it to recolor a [black] leather-wrapped steering wheel and it's been flawless for a couple of years with no 'bleeding', wearing, or loss of color. You can get it at about any professional auto body paint supplier (for very little money) and it can be mixed to match your GM interior color code OR you can have it 'scanned' to match existing seat color or a matching panel.

If you have no spray equipment, buy a $5 PreVal gas/bottle sprayer from that paint supplier, also. It works fantastic with the [thin] dye fluid. Just clean the covers very well, then wipe them lightly with some lacquer thinner to get off any surface oils. Shoot a light, covering coat, then wait 20 minutes. Then shoot a light covering 2nd coat and let dry. DO NOT wipe down any runs...they will likely dry smooth. Hope that helps. Good luck.

P.S. You can also re-dye new covers to the correct color if you wish. And you can use that dye for any other interior [plastic/vinyl] panels that are of the same color.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 03-07-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 PM
ButchN
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad this thread popped up.
My interior is also "silver grey":

But a closer look shows that my carpet & lower door panel carpet is a light blue, not silver or grey!

I was gonna swap out the interior for all new as it wasn't taken care of very well & figured as long as i was close I was all set.
Even the upper center interior trim is a different color than the dash & rest of the interior trim pieces!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Here's mine in silver-grey/slate. The door panels are new and the passenger sunvisor is new. The rest is original. I had the lower cushion on the driver's seat repaired locally as it was torn at the stitched seam. The guy matched it perfectly. I need to replace all of the carpet to make it perfect.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Allenvee
1st Gear

Do the seat covers match your steering wheel? My '82 has a slate grey interior but with cloth seats code 13C. I am changing them to leather. Thanks.
Al alvenditti@verizon.net
Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Allenvee
Do the seat covers match your steering wheel? My '82 has a slate grey interior but with cloth seats code 13C. I am changing them to leather. Thanks.
Al alvenditti@verizon.net
Mine were an exact match.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:48 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Different interior components may have been provided by different manufacturers. If so, the colors were supposed to be the same, but might have been just a 'touch' different...even when new. So, purchasing replacement parts from different sources may have slight differences in hue or contrast, as well.

If this is a concern for you and you have leather seats, you can always have some vinyl dye mixed to match those seats and then recolor the other [plastic] parts so they will match exactly.

I bought a black, leather-wrapped steering wheel and then used SEM ColorCoat vinyl dye to recolor the leather portion of that wheel so it would match with the rest of the interior. 3+ years now, and no bleeding, cracking, peeling or wear on that color.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Default Silver Gray Cloth

I might be willing to let my complete set of original and in near mint condition 1982 Silver Grey/Slate cloth seats (OE Interior Code 13C) go to the right home if you'll send me a private message of interest as understand this is not a selling post. They are slightly, and I mean slightly faded, and the original owner I recently purchased the car from a couple that kept it garaged (43K miles), everything is original except the wheel center caps (literally) and the wife, who was the original owner before they got married, probably kept the seats covered by the looks of them. It is like going back to 1982, fabric pattern and all. The foams appear flawless, as well. She was a clean fanatic according to her husband and son and it showed in the worthwhile premium I paid for the car. The near-new condition of the seats, and other interior components may prove rumors that women C3 owners take better care of their cars than guys. The condition of the 31 year old seats was the first thing my Corvette mechanic commented on when he opened the door to inspect the vehicle for me. You will not find any of the fine Corvette parts vendors selling this pattern - I tried, and now have a plan b in mind. Al Knoch, who does a terrific job in their niche, has the best cloth alternative, but first order a cloth sample. It is a couple of shades darker and of a different cloth pattern. They were honest and explained/apologized that it is not original.
Bottom line, if you have an `82 with silver grey/slate interior and you want near-new seats, or you or your wife would like to swap out leather for cloth seats once in awhile (they are far easier to decouple from the seat clam than leather, taking 2-minutes per side, and say goodbye to first degree burns on your thighs) - or, you want to join the club of only 992 made in this series --I'm here for you, asking $600 plus shipping (which we'll figure out together how to properly do), and will send a close-up video/pics. There is not the slightest stain, or evidence of cleaning any earlier stains. The wear is surprisingly minor, hence the original owner that I purchased it from simply must have been covered is all I can surmise.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Lakeside49; 12-11-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Lakeside: this thread is more than a year old. You'd probably have better luck if you posted your offer in the Parts For Sale forum.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Lakeside: this thread is more than a year old. You'd probably have better luck if you posted your offer in the Parts For Sale forum.

Great advice, yet I went ahead and did it this way since, when you search by the topic name, as I also did as the string's originator in need, this forum string is one of the first things that Google brings up. Googles web crawlers (the actual name) have tuned in on this forum string originated in 2011 when searching the web for silver grey cloth interior. But, again thank you.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:13 AM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Gevans... good color choice... bought a new 91 zr from rolly purify in 91.... always loved that color...well done!

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 silver gray leather seat covers

Quick Reply: 1982 silver gray leather seat covers