Sponsored by:

Key broke off in Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Key broke off in Ignition

the scenario is a ignition key is broken off in my 1968.....what are the alternatives as it must be a bitch to get the switch out of the dash. My warehouse was broken into an the bastard intentionally broke the key off and part of it is still in the switch......I had removed the battery an he couldn`t start it...Any opinions on how to proceed rather than removing the dash and using a new switch?.......or do I have to bite the bullet....

if so where do you start?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm Italian and live in NJ. I'd start with the d-bags knee caps if I found him! Sorry to hear about this!
Old 03-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Smadoo
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that.
Can you reach the bit of key with some needle nose pliers?
Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 PM
STINGRAY1WORD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harbor freight sell these stainless steel picks that might just do the trick http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece...set-93514.html.
But first try using a small paper clip with a small 90 degree bend to fish it out.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:18 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would imagine a locksmith would be able to get the key out easily and make a new one.

Rick B.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:53 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
I would imagine a locksmith would be able to get the key out easily and make a new one.

Rick B.
Yep...I've seen them do it.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On a 68, the ignition is mounted on the dash and I assume you can't rotate the cylinder plug. If the broken key can't be extracted. the best way is to drill the side bar which is located on the left side of the keyway. This will allow you to rotate the cylinder plug to the ACC position with a flat head screwdriver. There is a small hole on the face cap and if you insert a paperclip or similar object in the hole, it will depress a spring loaded retainer and will allow the cylinder plug to rotate another 15 degrees counter clockwise and the cylinder plug then can be pulled out. A new one can be installed and keyed to your original key which also operates your door locks. Suggest you call a real locksmith to do the job for you if you don't have the knowledge. Drilling to deep will dystroy the entire switch.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

STOP! Before you drill or take anything apart, try this. I had the key break off in the ignition switch of my '67 Camaro. I took a regular pin that has a head, not a needle. Put a very tiny drop of crazy glue on it. Instead of putting the glue onto the head, put some glue on a piece of paper and then touch the head of the pin to the glue. Then, hold the pin with a small pliers and put the head end into the ignition and just touch the end of it to the key. Hold and count to 60 seconds or so. Then let go with the pliers and give the pin another 5 minutes or so to completely dry. Then carefully grab the pin with the pliers, again, and withdraw the broken key piece. This absolutely worked for me. Also did it on a freezer that had a broken key. Good luck, and let us know what you finally do to solve the problem.
Duane
Old 03-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

'1 WORD and 'Blue 69, one of these two ideas sounds like the best solution without tearing a 'virgin' dash apart. I have a key machine that punches the keys with the codes, { for the 50,60, and 70`s} but I have to get it out....I know of the paper clip to remove it and rotating counter clockwise...Though I`d ask for some forum help first....My wife dug out her computer tools and there is a tweezers style tool with a narrow forceps .....I`ll try tomorrow and let you all know how it turns out.... thanks everyone.....

WJK

Ok, Duane, I`ll try that idea first...I have a 67 Camaro too.....

Last edited by Ironcross; 03-19-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: another idea,
Old 03-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Try the technique with a modified hacksaw blade outlined in this paper to remove the broken key.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...actionTool.pdf

Jim
Old 03-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

No change in the key dilemma, looked for a new hack saw blade to trim down and will have to get it done tomorrow....I`m going to try the saw blade as its least likely to screw up my switch....

I was thinking that since the broken half is in the switch, should`t I be able to turn it to the accessory location with a pin in the small hole and remove the cylinder?
Old 03-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Instead of using a pin head, might as well bend a paperclip, or use some thin wire out of a wire feed welder and bend a 90 deg with a 1/4" bent section. That is basically the length of the key. Then try the krazy glue trick. Using the wire it will have a lot more surface area then the head of a pin. Good ideas tho..

Mark G
Old 03-20-2011, 10:20 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

The key was broke off with the key portion still in the switch?

Take a screwdriver and push the broken part of the key into its furthermost position in the switch. Now rotate the switch plate face to the ACC position. ...maybe use screwdriver to do this. If you can get to the ACC position, you're home free. Get a large size paper clip (had to make a special trip to an office supply store for this one!!), push it in the hole on the ignition switch plate. Now you can pull the entire ignition core piece out.

With the paper clip wire in the ignition switch plate, if you can't get "purchase" to pull the switch core out, you have an option of turning the outer ring bezel. To do this you need special tool, which I think may be still available from some Corvette vendors. This tool will most likely be available from a car locksmith.

Note: turning the outer ring bezel is useless unless the core of the ignition switch is free to be removed.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 03-20-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:13 AM
uncleo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings from Long Branch,NJ Americas first seashore resort and 7 time US summer capital....Good Luck with getting that broken key out of the lock....I broke the door lock key on my '70 and the part with the number on it has been lost....can your key machine make me a new one?
Lee
Old 03-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Originally Posted by uncleo
Greetings from Long Branch,NJ Americas first seashore resort and 7 time US summer capital....Good Luck with getting that broken key out of the lock....I broke the door lock key on my '70 and the part with the number on it has been lost....can your key machine make me a new one?
Lee
To make an attempt to punch out a replacement key without the codes I would have to have the broken section to decode it...however if you have the two halves a local hardware can or could cut a good serviceable replacement on their grinding key machines. The difference would be very close to an original except if would be a copy of a worn key and not one with the OE cut.....

after about 2 hours of attempts to extract the broken piece I met with success..I want to thank all the suggestions and support submitted by you fine people ....and I used all of them except the glue and did not want to get into the damn dash but finally had success.......
with a couple of 'Blue Moons.......

A note on the Silver 62 in the Detroit Autorama Ridler contender....the car was not finished and the hardtop had no provisions to attach it, plus a long crack was in the fiberglass by one of the wheel wells....its a tough show and I`m personally responsible that a car must be road worthy as its shown...everything must work and be attached to the car or your eliminated from the Ridler award......long story and heated discussion and I lost
Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 PM
relic1864
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broke key

We sell some tweesers that are VERY thin and pointed that might reach in enough to grab the broke key and pull it out. Check Forestry Suppliers online Catalogue
Old 03-22-2011, 01:26 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Wally-

The 68 has a dash mounted switch and if the key is in there, you may be able to use a paper clip and push in the plunger to remove the cylinder. You'll have to use something else to try to turn the cylinder to get it to release (small screw driver). But if you can get the cylinder out, then you can remove the tumbler retainer. When you do this the springs under it will release and then gently tap the cylinder on the table and the broken off key section should fall out.

If you can get the cylinder out, a lock smith should be able to get the broke part out for you or if not.. send it to me and I'll do it..

Ernie

Get notified of new replies

To Key broke off in Ignition

Old 03-22-2011, 01:28 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

uggggggggggggg... I read all your post but the last one.. Good deal!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
uggggggggggggg... I read all your post but the last one.. Good deal!
Ernie and friends if you need a key cut I can do it with my code book and code machine.......and I actually found a spare key too which i`m going to decode and write the information in the back of my code book so I can always make a correct key ....but anyway I want to thank everyone for your ideas and encouragement.....it helped

WJK.jr.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:43 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Wally, I am really glad that you got the broken key out. Lou.

Quick Reply: Key broke off in Ignition