C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal trim around T Top, removal or cleaning....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:23 AM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Metal trim around T Top, removal or cleaning....

Hi all,
The trim around my T tops, the windshield and also the rear screen for that matter was painted at some time and is now in a poor state. Under the paint, the metal looks good with no major dents or marks.

What is the best way to remove the paint and polish up the metal? I was thinking of a very fine wet and dry paper ( perhaps 1500/2000 ).

Can the trim be removed easily from the T tops? Would make cleaning and painting alot easier.

TIA.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:41 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You ask "easily", Im sure you know nothing is easy on these beasts!!!! Honestly, if that trim, stainless and/or chrome was painted, that paint was probably not done properly, so its adhesion to the trim should be minimal. In other words, I'm surprised it hasn't flaked off by know. If it has started to flake, maybe you could use a plastic scraper and chip it off...just a suggestion, since removal might lead to a full teardown and restoration (trying to save you heartaches and money)
Old 03-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by corvetteload
...adhesion to the trim should be minimal...

Try lacquer thinner and a rag.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vader Vette

Originally Posted by jotto
Hi all,
The trim around my T tops, the windshield and also the rear screen for that matter was painted at some time and is now in a poor state. Under the paint, the metal looks good with no major dents or marks.

What is the best way to remove the paint and polish up the metal? I was thinking of a very fine wet and dry paper ( perhaps 1500/2000 ).

Can the trim be removed easily from the T tops? Would make cleaning and painting alot easier.

TIA.
I would use a natural Orange paint remover ,smells good and then just polish with mothers metal polish. I tape off the paint And the windshield and just leave the trim piece showing. I use the blue tape, trim the chrome piece like you were getting ready to paint it . it keeps your T-Top paint un scratched.
Trying to remove the metal might make it so it could not be put back on and look good . it might tweek it to say.I would do all the work right on the car.
I would not use and sand paper if they are as clean as you say.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:47 PM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like mentioned erlier, the part was probably not prepped real well if it is flaking.
If it was my car, here is what I would do.. carfully run a sharp razor blade around the trim, in other words make sure the paint on the t-top is seperated from the trim, and cutting it will do just that. Then when you're sure it is cut, take the stickiest duct tape you can find and stick it to just the trim, then remove the tape and see just how much paint pulled off, repeat this a few times and work it from there.
I had onother car that the jambs were poorly prepped and painted and I discovered by accident how much can be removed with tape, I ended up removing 95% of the old paint with masking tape.

Last edited by 427basketcase; 03-24-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:13 PM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Tape off the areas NOT effected. Use paint thinner (sparingly) with scoth brite . I would NOT use sandpaper, unless it was 2000 grit and only as a last resort.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:33 AM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

000 Steel Wool.

If it's too hard Lacquer thinner and a rag. Then polish with the steel wool.

Ralph
Old 09-25-2011, 09:51 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If all the bright metal trim is painted, you might be better off removing it and stripping with a chemical stripper. Then, you can do any re-sealing of the framework that needs to be done prior to re-installation. A car with that much age needs a re-seal anyway.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:03 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralphbf
000 Steel Wool.

If it's too hard Lacquer thinner and a rag. Then polish with the steel wool.

Ralph

Just did it and used a little painters blue tape to protect the paint- no chemicals needed.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CQRT

Just did it and used a little painters blue tape to protect the paint- no chemicals needed.
So the steel wool did the trick?

Get notified of new replies

To Metal trim around T Top, removal or cleaning....

Quick Reply: Metal trim around T Top, removal or cleaning....