Sponsored by:

'Vert roll bar ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Blain
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 'Vert roll bar ideas

So I've started another project. This time it is an LS powered '73 roadster. Not doing a restoration but resto-mod. Flares, sidepipes, 6 speed. And I'm looking for roll bar ideas. I bend up a piece of 1/2" EMT just to play with the profile and location

Would like to attach to the lock pillar but it may be too close to the seat headrest.

I haven't ruled out bonding the decklid to the body. Won't ever have a soft top. Other then being able to load groceries back there I don't see the need to do hinges, latches etc.

Looking for pictues of roll bars that have turned out well. And I guess pictures of bad ideas are good too.

Blain
Old 03-27-2011, 11:21 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For one thing puting a single loop bar in a "convertable" is I guess better than nothing but not really. I have rolled vehicles in all positions, some multiple times. I am very thankfull for having a complete cage, 8 point and a 10 point. Triagulation and frame mounting is the key to survival. I have always used 2.25 X .25 thickness wall seamless tubing. Carefull welding with gusset bracing. Good luck Al
Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Blain
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alswagg
For one thing puting a single loop bar in a "convertable" is I guess better than nothing but not really. I have rolled vehicles in all positions, some multiple times. I am very thankfull for having a complete cage, 8 point and a 10 point. Triagulation and frame mounting is the key to survival. I have always used 2.25 X .25 thickness wall seamless tubing. Carefull welding with gusset bracing. Good luck Al
I agree and I considered at least a 4 point but it limits access. This is a weekend cruiser and I might want the wife to go for a ride. Not sure I could convince her to crawl in. I like the looks of a Shark Bar but would like some function beyond a place to anchor the harness.

Blain
Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 AM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Definatly find a way to mount properly to the frame. I remember seeing a Jeep flip over and the roll cage went through the floor of the body pinning the occupants, Seriouse injurys but they luckily lived. I flipped over backwards once with my son climbing a limestone wall in our full size bronco. We fell nearly 15' straight down onto the top/cage. It held up as well as our harnesses. Front w/s broke but after rolling back over and a little coaxing the engine started back up and we drove out. That was when i respected the true roll cage. Good luck Al
Old 03-28-2011, 03:34 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Hi

Try a surge for MERLIN.
This was a C3 build in Seattle area ( if I remember right ) with a pretty nice self made roll bar. Double loop design.

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/cata...roducts_id=128

This one I saw installed. Looks very good, but I doubt it holds up any flip.
It just bolts to the B-Pillars wher the soft top is bolted to.

Rgds. Günther

Found Merlin in youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZqtnLsYvvY

If the link does not work, surge there for Merlin Corvette, or insane merlin .

Last edited by WESCH; 03-28-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Here's what's in my 71 vert- Top goes up and down w/ no problem. It's a 4 pt welded to the frame.

Get notified of new replies

To 'Vert roll bar ideas

Quick Reply: 'Vert roll bar ideas