Sponsored by:

Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:20 PM
jawrjadawg
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions

I have a #s matching 70 convertible 350, 350 and it is needing a paint job. Presently the car is blue with a blue interior
I am thinking of changing the color to a red on red but I am afraid it may hurt the value, not than I am planning to sell it but who knows
What do you guys think ?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Deacon Don
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I'd keep it original. I just re-did my '72 and went back to the original Ontario Orange. It just seemed like the right thing to do. Blue is a nice color, but I don't know the numbers of blue '70's that were made. Might be a low production color??? All the more reason to keep it blue.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. The color change might be a put off for a future prospective buyer and could possibly devalue the car; other prospective buyers would not know the colors had been changed.

The choice is up to you.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi jj
Since you first describe the car as "#s matching", I would say changing the body color and interior color put the car in the 'not numbers matching' car category, since the trim tag info would no longer match.
It's your car and you should do what would make you happy; but I'd say it would decrease it's value at sale time. Whenever that might be.
Regards,
Alan

A buyer willing to pay for a 'numbers matching' engine is also going to want the rest of the car to be restored to as it was when it left St.Louis.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:07 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

If this is a fairly original car, still has the original power train, and you may want to sell to a collector in the future, the value may be reduced by the cost to restore it back to original. A reasonable guess may be to consider what the value would be for an identical car with the original colors, deduct the cost to restore.

I'm more in the camp which says you should have the car the way YOU want it unless you're planning to sell soon.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:30 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by jawrjadawg
I have a #s matching 70 convertible 350, 350 and it is needing a paint job. Presently the car is blue with a blue interior
I am thinking of changing the color to a red on red but I am afraid it may hurt the value, not than I am planning to sell it but who knows
What do you guys think ?
You absolutely, definitely will hurt the value, possibly as much as it would cost to get back to the right color. Of course it's a possibility that you might find a future buyer who is too dumb to know the market, but do you want to bet on that?

Don't do it. We have ALL made the mistake of "oh, I'll never sell."
Old 03-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Manuel Azevedo
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First you should do what makes you smile about the car. Now on dollars, a numbers matching car can be worth more than a NOM depending on what the car is. If your car is a base car then I would say your car would sell base on it's condition and quality of parts and work done to it regardless of numbers. It seems the numbers game only has any real impact on the rarity and on the high HP cars. Just my .50cents , inflation you know!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:16 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want the interior to be all new and fresh to match the new paint, price all those components you will need to do it "right" and you might decide blue is beautiful. Components from the top vendors are "nose bleed" expensive in some cases.

Get notified of new replies

To Decisions

Quick Reply: Decisions