Sponsored by:

BBC exhaust manifold differences

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:49 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Default BBC exhaust manifold differences

So I guess I am going to get rid of the sidepipes on my 72 454. They were fun while they lasted but while I was under the car I am noticing rust and all. I am thinking of going back to a stock style system for ease of install and convenience. When I bought it the thing had long tube headers so I never had the original manifolds. I know nothing about this stuff so please forgive the junior grade question. Are all BBC exhaust manifolds the same? I dont care about matching numbers correct year and date code I just need what will fit to an OEM brand system. I am thinking the 2.5 inch magnaflow style system from corvette central if that means anything with a spacer on the right hand side instead of a riser. Can I buy any manifold made for a 427 or 454 for camaro, chevelle or vette or are they care and year specific (read expensive)

Thanks,
Old 02-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

You definitely need a Corvette manifold. I believe that there is a difference in the earlier years 68-69 or 70, on the driver side pipe, based on the turned angle of the outlet. Corvette manifolds are very different from the "log" style manifolds on other cars.

So your sidepipes are rusty? Are they ruined, or just a little rusty? Just curious if they still function and are up for grabs...
Old 02-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70-74-Chevy-...a545b1&vxp=mtr
Old 02-02-2013, 05:39 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

They arent ruined per se but they are scratched and a little dented with some surface rust. The big problem is the left side is worked its way just loose enough that I am getting a metal on metal chirping out of the pipe. I just dont want to deal with it when I get home trying to figure out the problem. I had to dimple the left side to clear the frame quite a bit. I am heading back to Korea in a few days so I wont have time for a while to take them off but once I do (probably september) I am going to put them up for sale for whatever I can get for them. But basically what I am getting is that I have to pay for corvette specific manifolds. Got it, I will go ahead and buy new ones from a parts dealer I guess to make sure they are correct. I know I either need the spacer or riser as well as all of the hangars etc. Thanks for the help. I wish this would have came about when I first got home for leave instead of a few days prior. (had to put in a new starter yesterday)
Old 02-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

In all honesty, there isnt much in the way of hangers. There are two in the back, and there is a piece that goes under the trans mount that you will clamp a joint of the exhaust to. And yes, you'll want that spacer for the pass side.

The corvette central exhaust that you mentioned is a good value. Ive got it on mine, and thought it was reasonably priced and easy to put together. The magnaflows are a tad quiet, but seem to be sounding better with age.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:22 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Big Block Dave
In all honesty, there isnt much in the way of hangers. There are two in the back, and there is a piece that goes under the trans mount that you will clamp a joint of the exhaust to. And yes, you'll want that spacer for the pass side.

The corvette central exhaust that you mentioned is a good value. Ive got it on mine, and thought it was reasonably priced and easy to put together. The magnaflows are a tad quiet, but seem to be sounding better with age.
When I got the car the generic long tubes and no name pipes under the car were running through two holes in the crossmember under the trans. Is that what you are referring to?

Is there any specific brand to stay away from? I mean I see corvette central selling reproductions for like 600 a pair while I see autozone selling Dorman brand for like 300 a pair. Is there a difference. Even that ebay link listed above seems like a good deal if they work. I really dont want to drop the coin for a NOS if i dont have to.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I believe the company that's importing the manifolds is 'Dorman....any parts store selling that brand should be able to get them....

Possibly NAPA
Old 02-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Just understand that you'll see a noticeable drop off in performance using stock manifolds vs. headers.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by baxsom
When I got the car the generic long tubes and no name pipes under the car were running through two holes in the crossmember under the trans. Is that what you are referring to?

Is there any specific brand to stay away from? I mean I see corvette central selling reproductions for like 600 a pair while I see autozone selling Dorman brand for like 300 a pair. Is there a difference. Even that ebay link listed above seems like a good deal if they work. I really dont want to drop the coin for a NOS if i dont have to.
There is a piece that bolts between the trans and the mount that looks sort of like an old farm yoke that would attach two livestock to a plow. The exhaust clamps go around the joint in the exhaust and around that piece.

If I were looking to put manifolds on, I would buy someone's old used set instead of NOS. Another option would be the Mcjacks shorty headers that are supposed to be a direct replacement for manifolds, but they just seem kind of on the expensive side. Dont get me wrong they look like beautiful quality pieces, but I probably would not go that route
Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

I dont care about matching numbers correct year and date code I just need what will fit to an OEM brand system.

Then those ebay repros will probably work just fine. Thats a pretty good price compared to a set of the correct ones. I put repro big block manifolds on my buddys 66-454 and there were no issues or surprises with them. I would again if needed.

I put a Corvette Central 2 1/2 inch exhaust system in my 77 with a 454 in it last year. Perfect fit, went with the stock mufflers, sounds great. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:22 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Thanks all,
I get to fly home again around September so the wife doesnt know it yet but she is going to get some heavy boxes in the mail around the August time frame. I got to come back for a few weeks this time ended up having to put new rotors on the C5 cause they were rusted from sitting and a new starter on the C3 from not being cranked I suppose. I really need to just retire. Maybe when I get back for good I'll look into one of those powerjection systems.

Get notified of new replies

To BBC exhaust manifold differences

Quick Reply: BBC exhaust manifold differences