Default South Beach Classics- Red 69

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/sout...d-bargain.html
Old 04-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Ret.Horsecop13
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Saw the two shows the other night. It seemed so unrealistic and staged. I guess all those shows are. Nice cars though!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

I've never come across this Ted Vernon guy in town, but I've heard of him. Then again, I don't hang around South Beach either. He strikes me as being a typical used car salesman, with a little flair. Add in his wife, make that a lot of flair. Would you let this guy go out with your daughter? Check out his website. One mechanic for all that inventory? Guess they don't fix much, just wash & vacuum.

The new cable show that really cracks me up is Desert Car Kings. They drag these old pieces of junk out of the scrap yard. In a couple of weeks (everything has to be in a hurry...makes it exciting I suppose) and then spend only $6 or $7k (must be only parts, the employees evidently work for free), turn them into "real deal" muscle cars and then supposedly make a tidy profit at auction. Engines are never rebuilt, frames and suspensions are never restored, just some body work, a quickie paint and upholstery job, a few emblems, some new tires. Talk about fantasy land.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep, I watched it also. Looked like a nice red 69. I like the fact that he is rolling around in a Phantom Rolls Royce and Bugatti replica and his daughter from what he said on the show is driving what looks like a late 90's 2 door chevy Vsuxs blazer P.O.S. maybe worth $1500. He traded it towards the end of the show.
Desert car kings, is comical. You only got 2 -3 wks to completely rebuild/restore the car. And yes his crew must work for free, as they never mention labor costs, only parts and magical engines and running gear, brakes, etc that all seem to work fine.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Ret.Horsecop13
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thats funny I thought the same thing with his daughters car! Obviously he wasn't interested in her driving a classic!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Hardway
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

South Beach Classics is staged as all reality shows like that are to some extent, Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, etc. SBC is entertaining but also very unrealistic. Who trades a VW Golf and $2500 for a $22K Mustang Fastback, that's right... NOBODY! My favorite car type of show is still Chasing Classic Cars. Wayne seems like a good guy with great taste.

I will add a viewing experience about the Desert Car Kings show. They were fixing/restoring a Ford F-100 truck. They ended up losing money on the truck which looked great by the way. However they have a segment where they open the bags of contents left in vehicles, all of which becomes property of the yard after 90 days. In one bag was a super clean vintage RCA Victor in car record player and it WORKED! They took it to a guy for appraisal and he said it might be worth $1K to the right buyer. What does the mechanic from the yard do? Tell the owner the great news, post it up on Ebay... NO, he uses a whole roll electrical tape and mounts it in his Honda CR-V. So they lose money on a sale and basically throw away another $1K. If I was the owner of that place I would get the record player back and then fire the mechanic. The owners need to ditch the restoration efforts and stick with what they know. Whatever time you free up for the mechanics, get them to work on organizing and inventory EVERYTHING in your yard. There are tons of valuable parts out there that they do not even know they have.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Xanthophyll
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

I've never watched this show, but I've seen commercials and was wondering about it. I've seen Desert Car Kings and was wondering how in the hell they can make a profit on the cars they put together. They seem to sell for fairly cheap, wondering how long the car stays in one piece after it is driven off the lot...?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:54 PM
75+78 Corvettes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed the eye candy on SBC. Some pretty rides.
However, Desert car kings is a joke. While some of the cars look decent, they are still a mechanical nightmare. The engines may get a cleaning and some paint and the rest of the car gets a sprucing up and new paint and interior. Who knows the history on the cars, they are probably in the junkyard for a reason.
I also haven't seen one make more than $1000 profit, then again, I pretty much stopped watching it.
Plus that son's voice is annoying as hell.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Alex/plus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my little town the motto is " If it ain't right, make it bright".
Old 04-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 75+78 Corvettes
I enjoyed the eye candy on SBC. Some pretty rides.
However, Desert car kings is a joke. While some of the cars look decent, they are still a mechanical nightmare. The engines may get a cleaning and some paint and the rest of the car gets a sprucing up and new paint and interior. Who knows the history on the cars, they are probably in the junkyard for a reason.
I also haven't seen one make more than $1000 profit, then again, I pretty much stopped watching it.
Plus that son's voice is annoying as hell.
Haaaa LOL... I said the same thing about his voice to some other guys. Its awful. Like a whiny little b*tch...
All American classic cars, and he is driving around a Toyota truck. Strange...

Get notified of new replies

To South Beach Classics- Red 69

Quick Reply: South Beach Classics- Red 69