Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Bodge
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Default New 1978 Corvette Owner

Hi everyone!!

I know absolutely nothing about cars including Corvettes. My wife has always wanted a Corvette so I just bought one and am going to give it to her as a surprise for our ten year anniversary.

It's a 1978 with T tops, new motor and transmission. The seats, carpet, steering wheel and door panels definitely need to be replaced. I may put a new dash and console in too. I am also getting new tires and rims.

My mechanic will check it top to bottom but I was wondering what are some of the most important places to put money into and fix up?

Our anniversary is not till the end of June so I have some time. Car gets delivered next week.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum, and the owner's club. Definitely tires and safety things your mechanic suggests first. Have the shop look for rust in the frame and windshield post/firewall area as thay are prone to rust there. You may be in for a bit of sticker shock as you price interior parts...
Old 04-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Good choice, I have a 78' also! Replace every rubber hose under the hood if it hasn't already been done in the past couple years. Did you get any service records with the car so you know what's been changed and when? Rad should be checked also.

Gary
Old 04-22-2011, 03:59 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Welcome to the group.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:33 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let the Spending begin!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:58 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, welcome to the shark tank.

No matter how experienced or how much you trust one, IMHO if any given mechanic isn't quite familiar with C3's you'll be wise to get 2nd and 3rd opinions before having much of anything beyond very basic maintenance done (including suspension/alignment work). And, be ever wary of shops who overcharge for work just because it's a Corvette. So many of them either don't know what they're doing and/or view 'vette owners as their gravy train that many of us do everything we can ourselves in order to avoid them.

Anyway, here's wishing lots of happy miles.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Arcticshark
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Yes, welcome to the shark tank.

No matter how experienced or how much you trust one, IMHO if any given mechanic isn't quite familiar with C3's you'll be wise to get 2nd and 3rd opinions before having much of anything beyond very basic maintenance done (including suspension/alignment work). And, be ever wary of shops who overcharge for work just because it's a Corvette. So many of them either don't know what they're doing and/or view 'vette owners as their gravy train that many of us do everything we can ourselves in order to avoid them.

Anyway, here's wishing lots of happy miles.
Ditto.

Welcome to the insanity.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Welcome aboard!
Old 04-23-2011, 05:56 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodge
I was wondering what are some of the most important places to put money into and fix up?
Brake, brakes, brakes! Its the most problematic area even more than tires because its out of sight.

I would direct your mechanic to pull tires, check brake pads and than pull a caliper and determine if they have been sleeved or not and what kind of seals are used. If the calipers have not been sleeved with stainless steel sleeves, it suggests that the iron will eventually cause problems and it should be corrected before putting your wife on the road. The O ring seals work best over the lip seal so if you are going to this extent, than its best to replace as well. Finally, if these components look in order, I would have him proceed, flush brake fluid and bleed. I believe that will give you the assurance that the brake system will work when your wife puts it on the road.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Bodge
8th Gear

St. Jude Donor '11

Hi everyone!!

Thanks for all the great tips.

Looks like I have a good order of where to start. Safety first. Vanity last.

I've know my mechanic since before I could drive, he's also owned a few Corvettes.

I'm shipping it from FL, I just got a call it will arrive Mon or Tue.

The only thing I know about the car is it runs and has a new engine and transmission. My mechanic will be checking everything!

Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:16 PM
JetDoc69
Advanced

Welcome to the forum. Excellent choice in year (I also own a 78 ) I would look at the brakes first, mine failed in the first few months of owning the car. Tires would be the second thing to look at. Lots of great info and people here. Enjoy your new toy.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Bodge
...Safety first. Vanity last...
Try for safely vain.

Purchase one or two of the C3 photo guides.

There are two or three of these by different authors; most of them fairly good on model year specifics.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:36 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
Brake, brakes, brakes! Its the most problematic area even more than tires because its out of sight.

I would direct your mechanic to pull tires, check brake pads and than pull a caliper and determine if they have been sleeved or not and what kind of seals are used. If the calipers have not been sleeved with stainless steel sleeves, it suggests that the iron will eventually cause problems and it should be corrected before putting your wife on the road. The O ring seals work best over the lip seal so if you are going to this extent, than its best to replace as well. Finally, if these components look in order, I would have him proceed, flush brake fluid and bleed. I believe that will give you the assurance that the brake system will work when your wife puts it on the road.
brakes are very important!!! then take a look at the tires and as commented all the rubber hoses and belts. Welcome and as soon as you get the car post come pics.

Get notified of new replies

To New 1978 Corvette Owner

Quick Reply: New 1978 Corvette Owner