Sponsored by:

vapor canister for a '71

Old 09-28-2015, 05:58 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Default charcoal

Originally Posted by StingrayLust
I've read a few threads related to this and I'm still a bit confused. So I went ahead with taking mine out to do a "refresh". Here's what I saw:

After removal, just the one hose from the fuel tank:

The plastic vapor canister:

The top of the vapor canister where the 3 connections are:

removed the filter from the bottom:

The connections on the carb:

I saw one thread where the guy had replaced charcoal inside with fish pet supply grade charcoal. To me, the vapor canister seems sealed as in there is no way to open it. Is that true? To replace the inside do I have to cut off the top or bottom to fill it, and if so, how do I go about "gluing" it back together?

As for the connections, right now it's not connected to the carb or PCV like it should be. Is this pretty common? I've looked at my AIM and on page L218 it shows how the connection should be. You can see my connections on my carb above, that's pretty much how I found it when I bought it. I have no idea if I'll have gasoline smell as I have yet to drive the car, much less start it more than twice since I've had it.

FYI - don't assume anything is correct with my car, Bubba had his grubby mits all over. The carb could be original, or from a different year all together. If tubes are missing, that would be Bubba.

Oh yeah, my car is a SB 350ci/270hp that came with manual tranny (is now a TH400 auto).
I have some charcoal here in Kentucky from Bourbon barrels You can use maybe it will run and smell better .I put some in my barbeque it does wonders
Old 09-28-2015, 07:50 PM
Pinehurstvette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 530planeman
I have some charcoal here in Kentucky from Bourbon barrels You can use maybe it will run and smell better .I put some in my barbeque it does wonders
Thanks for the info and the new link to the jeep canister rebuild. I think between that info and what I found from a guy in Australia who rebuilt his Corvette canister, I'll go the rebuild way
Old 09-29-2015, 07:18 AM
Pinehurstvette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Pinehurstvette
Thanks for the info and the new link to the jeep canister rebuild. I think between that info and what I found from a guy in Australia who rebuilt his Corvette canister, I'll go the rebuild way
Just in case I'm not successful, do you have the P/N (or what vehicle it fits)for the NAPA canister. I looked at their website and there seem to be a lot of options. Thanks
Old 09-30-2015, 12:48 PM
Pinehurstvette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by StingrayLust
I've read a few threads related to this and I'm still a bit confused. So I went ahead with taking mine out to do a "refresh". Here's what I saw:

After removal, just the one hose from the fuel tank:

The plastic vapor canister:

The top of the vapor canister where the 3 connections are:

removed the filter from the bottom:

The connections on the carb:

I saw one thread where the guy had replaced charcoal inside with fish pet supply grade charcoal. To me, the vapor canister seems sealed as in there is no way to open it. Is that true? To replace the inside do I have to cut off the top or bottom to fill it, and if so, how do I go about "gluing" it back together?

As for the connections, right now it's not connected to the carb or PCV like it should be. Is this pretty common? I've looked at my AIM and on page L218 it shows how the connection should be. You can see my connections on my carb above, that's pretty much how I found it when I bought it. I have no idea if I'll have gasoline smell as I have yet to drive the car, much less start it more than twice since I've had it.

FYI - don't assume anything is correct with my car, Bubba had his grubby mits all over. The carb could be original, or from a different year all together. If tubes are missing, that would be Bubba.

Oh yeah, my car is a SB 350ci/270hp that came with manual tranny (is now a TH400 auto).
Do you have the part number or vehicle application for the NAPA vapor canister? Thanks
Old 06-03-2017, 11:29 AM
Vetti 454
Cruising

Can you send me the scematics and any other information about the CEC, I'm rebuilding a QJ and like to keep it original as much as possible for my 454 1971 with automatic transmission. It's confusing some called it Transmission Controlled Spark, some is talking about Spark Control sollenoid and now Combined Emission Control, Thanks
Old 06-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Pinehurstvette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vetti 454
Can you send me the scematics and any other information about the CEC, I'm rebuilding a QJ and like to keep it original as much as possible for my 454 1971 with automatic transmission. It's confusing some called it Transmission Controlled Spark, some is talking about Spark Control sollenoid and now Combined Emission Control, Thanks
We may not be talking about the same thing. What I rebuilt is the charcoal canister that is located under the driver side from fender. The canister cannot be purchased now but can easily be rebuilt. The filter element at the bottom of the canister can be purchased thru NAPA. If this is what you were referring to, let me know and I'll dig out the info. VETTE magazine recently had an article on rebuilding these, too.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:46 AM
Vetti 454
Cruising

Originally Posted by Pinehurstvette
We may not be talking about the same thing. What I rebuilt is the charcoal canister that is located under the driver side from fender. The canister cannot be purchased now but can easily be rebuilt. The filter element at the bottom of the canister can be purchased thru NAPA. If this is what you were referring to, let me know and I'll dig out the info. VETTE magazine recently had an article on rebuilding these, too.
Sorry I tried to reply to another guy on the same thread showing his Quardajet, my mistake
Old 06-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi V454,

"Can you send me the scematics and any other information about the CEC, I'm rebuilding a QJ and like to keep it original as much as possible for my 454 1971 with automatic transmission. It's confusing some called it Transmission Controlled Spark, some is talking about Spark Control sollenoid and now Combined Emission Control."

The "Combined Emission Control" (CEC) system was used during the 71 model year production.
The system used during the 70 and 72 model years was called "Transmission Controlled Spark" (TCS) system.

The CEC system consists of:
A vacuum/electrical solenoid mounted on the left front of the carburetor.
A delay relay mounted on the firewall.
A reversing relay mounted on the firewall.
A temperature sensor/switch mounted in the right side head between the rear 2 spark plugs.
A sensor in the transmission that sends a signal when in 3rd or 4th gear.
The wiring for these components is part of the engine harness.

What information are you looking for?

Regards,
Alan

The solenoid on the carburetor.

The 2 relays mounted back to back on a small bracket on the firewall.

The temperature sensor/switch.

The sensor on the transmission. (4speed)
The location for the sensor on your automatic transmission is shown in the Assembly Manual.
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (01-01-2020)
Old 06-19-2017, 06:06 PM
Vetti 454
Cruising

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi V454,

"Can you send me the scematics and any other information about the CEC, I'm rebuilding a QJ and like to keep it original as much as possible for my 454 1971 with automatic transmission. It's confusing some called it Transmission Controlled Spark, some is talking about Spark Control sollenoid and now Combined Emission Control."

The "Combined Emission Control" (CEC) system was used during the 71 model year production.
The system used during the 70 and 72 model years was called "Transmission Controlled Spark" (TCS) system.

The CEC system consists of:
A vacuum/electrical solenoid mounted on the left front of the carburetor.
A delay relay mounted on the firewall.
A reversing relay mounted on the firewall.
A temperature sensor/switch mounted in the right side head between the rear 2 spark plugs.
A sensor in the transmission that sends a signal when in 3rd or 4th gear.
The wiring for these components is part of the engine harness.

What information are you looking for?

Regards,
Alan

The solenoid on the carburetor.

The 2 relays mounted back to back on a small bracket on the firewall.

The temperature sensor/switch.

The sensor on the transmission. (4speed)
The location for the sensor on your automatic transmission is shown in the Assembly Manual.
Dear Alan thanks for the nice pic’s they are very useful, because my car was in several (not always good) hands and the engine compared to your is a real disaster.
They installed a Holley carb and PCV ventilation together with the vacuum lines are mixed up in a big mess.

I found useful information thanks to your hints on the Service manual on how the system works but I have one question.

Could it be that this to wires shown on my pic are the ones that are connected the solenoid?
They are coming out from the cable bundle just below the second relay and are one black an the other dark yellow
Old 06-19-2017, 07:36 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi V454,
Likely, yes.
Someone recently asked about the wiring for the relay and timer so I have these handy.
Note the shape of the plastic connectors and how the fit on the relay's and timer's prongs.
Hope they help.
Regards,
Alan

Old 07-18-2017, 06:35 AM
Vetti 454
Cruising

[QUOTE=Alan 71;1577451167]Hi sl,
Unless you just didn't show it, I believe the canister is missing it's bottom cover and drain hose.
Regards,
Alan

Name:  DSC_0210.jpg
Views: 3165
Size:  29.0 KB

My Canister is missing but I'm not sure if I need the GM7028131 with 2 ports or the GM7028129 with 3 ports on my 454 1971 365HP engine

Old 07-18-2017, 07:15 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi V454,
Your 71 bb car typically had the vapor canister with 3 ports in it's top.

One for the line from the gas tank.
One that runs directly to the carburetor.
One that runs to a 'T' on top of the PCV valve, and then continues to the carburetor.

Regards,
Alan

Note the 'T' at the pcv valve allows the hose to transition from a large hose FROM the canister to a smaller hose TO the carburetor. The only clamp used here at the connection is from the stub hose to the pcv valve.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: vapor canister for a '71