Sponsored by:

Today was big day...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 04:29 PM
sokoloka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spinadog
sokoloka, please post back about the quality of work you received from J&D - I have considered them for some fiberglass work.
Still have a lot more work left on this job, but already can say the quality of their work and customer service skills are TOP notch.
Can't say I've ever had a better customer experience with any other shop.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:22 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Those flares have the "mudflaps". There are other styles available that curve in (which I think look better)
The car looks like its coming along nicely though

p.s. I sent you a few PM's a while back. Did you get them?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:17 PM
sokoloka
Instructor

Originally Posted by vette427-sbc
Those flares have the "mudflaps". There are other styles available that curve in (which I think look better)
The car looks like its coming along nicely though
Thanks for the kind words! I think if they can duplicate or get the style that tucks in rather than the mudflap I'll go with flares - if not, she's coke bottle enough for me already!

Originally Posted by vette427-sbc
p.s. I sent you a few PM's a while back. Did you get them?
Getting back to you right now.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:36 AM
sokoloka
Instructor

Paid a visit to my lil' one yesterday - have a few opinion questions for you guys.

How she sits as of yesterday morning:

Sitting with their child like any proud parent would during a tough time:

What I was happy to see is the lack of any major rust issues. After seeing what really was under the front clip, my imagination was running wild thinking about rusted out body mounts and paper thin frame rails. Finding out the frame is solid is definitely a plus!

Everything else is looking pretty good, and the staff at JD is moving along at a steady pace so no real complaints there either. Now that the body is off however, here is where I become my own problem.

The eventual plans for the car include an engine and 5spd swap. These are all things that I would like to do myself, but in seeing the ease of access that I have now it's tough not to want to do the work before a nicely done and painted body is dropped back on top.

Some of the engine options I've been considering are:
-Worked over 350 OR ZZ4 350
-Build an SB427
-ZZ427 crate
-Get an LS?

I have to admit that I'm partial to either 427 idea as I've always dreamed of a 427 vette but I'm also realistic... somewhat.

Additionally, seeing the radiator / core support combo out of the car, seems like it would be a good time to swap the radiator when they're changing out the core support. DeWitts is the obvious choice for me, but I haven't yet decided what engine I would like to swap in - SBC, BBC, or LS. From what I understand, their radiators are pretty specific?

I also ordered the ZL1 / L88 flares from MidAmerica and plan on having JD fit them. I would like to have them fitted to the wheel / tire combo, but that means that I need to HAVE the new wheel / tire combo. My initial plan was to have CCW wheels similar to what SuprJames has on his car, except in black like my truck. After quoting everything out, looks like a 6+ week lead time on production.

Poor photoshop looks like this:

Going with 18's would allow for future developments like big brakes, tire availability, etc.

The other option is going for period correct minilites from PS Engineering (convenient as they're located in Torrance, CA - about 20 minutes away from where the car currently is) Downsides with sticking with 15" wheels appear to be limited future modifications, challenging tire selection. The best bet I've seen look to be the Mickey Thompson Sportsman Radials? Wheels are 15x10 in front and 15x12 in back. I know nothing about these tires, and plan on daily driving this car once it's done. Any feedback?

What are some things that I could be doing that I'm forgetting about while the body and frame are apart? Replacing the positive battery cable is one; I'm thinking about adding an underhood battery disconnect at the same time as a means of car security.

So many decisions and ***** in the air at the same time!
All I really want is to get the car back and drive
Old 06-17-2011, 11:54 AM
69MA
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two words I dread the most "Scope Creep"
Old 06-17-2011, 12:09 PM
C3Dani
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 69MA
The two words I dread the most "Scope Creep"
This is probably the biggest obstacle when doing any major work calling for partial or complete dis-assembly of a car. I've been there!

Exciting progress!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:33 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default "Customer service skills are TOP notch."

This is almost more important than the work itself. At any service shop, the customer always comes first. I'm glad they are great to work with. Makes the whole project pleasurable & fun.
Keep the update pics coming.
Glenn
Old 06-29-2011, 04:36 PM
sokoloka
Instructor

Originally Posted by GD70
At any service shop, the customer always comes first. I'm glad they are great to work with. Makes the whole project pleasurable & fun.
100% agreed.

On that note - they let me know the bodyman is going on vacation for a few weeks, so anything I want to do with the rolling chassis myself they'll deduct off the original tab. Planning on augmenting the chassis per the powerbook, painting her up, and swapping the tranny while I have the chance with the body off.

Good news is after they welded in a new rear frame crossmember, everything else seems solid!

Will update once I pull the engine and tranny over the long weekend.
Hopefully my new wheels will be here before I trailer her back to LA!
Old 06-30-2011, 12:54 AM
FireFighterVette
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Lookin' good!!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:09 AM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is this going to cost? $20,000?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:04 AM
CFD E59
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Boy do I feel your pain... My repaint turned into a year long project, very similar findings on the Birdcage but all my damage was on top, (replacement pieces were available. Regardless it will be well worth it when you get it back...
Old 07-01-2011, 11:33 AM
sokoloka
Instructor

Originally Posted by Clubby99
What is this going to cost? $20,000?
With the work that I'll be able to do myself now that I have just the chassis back and the eventual paintjob, I'm ballparking myself in the $17,000 range. The good thing is if we run out of money, we can always make more!

Thank you for all the supportive comments! Now that I have the bottom half back in the garage, I'm reminded why I took it up there to have them pull the body in the first place.

Not an inch of room to spare!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 PM
VCuomo
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sokoloka
...Some of the engine options I've been considering are:
-Worked over 350 OR ZZ4 350
-Build an SB427
-ZZ427 crate
-Get an LS?

I have to admit that I'm partial to either 427 idea as I've always dreamed of a 427 vette but I'm also realistic... somewhat.
You might also want to consider a 383 build - won't cost much over what a "worked over" 350 would cost and you can certainly end up with a car that will scoot! In fact, IIRC, you can also build a 396CI SBC...

BTW, the engine in my '72 is a 383 built around a ZZ3 block (I also have the original NM 350).

My vote, if you have the budget, is to go the LSx route.

Best wishes for your build!

Last edited by VCuomo; 07-01-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:06 PM
sokoloka
Instructor

Originally Posted by VCuomo
In fact, IIRC, you can also build a 396CI SBC...
Is that so... Sounds like I've got some additional research to do... Thank you for the wishes as well.

Two questions on the current block:

Number one:

Are either of the threaded holes above the oil filter and to the left the one that the Z-bar would have to connect to on a manual transmission conversion?

Number two:

Cracked one of the heads, anything that jumps out at anyone?

What I did find curious is ZERO evidence of this engine rebuild the PO supposedly did...
Old 07-03-2011, 09:51 AM
earthquake68
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's funny, because the first thing I saw was the Fel Pro Head gaskets that aren't very old. The cylinders look pretty good too. There isn't a ton of carbon in the combustion chamber either. That looks like a relatively low mile engine to me. I say less than 20K on it since it was apart. ....but take it how you want to, I just rebuild engines everyday for living.

As far as the holes go, GM drilled and tapped the Z-bar holes on every block. A good way to see if it was ever hooked to a manual, is the "peak" of the bell housing. On automatic cars, there's no bolt hole in the center, on four speed cars, the center hole will be drilled and tapped in the block.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:06 PM
sokoloka
Instructor

Originally Posted by earthquake68
That's funny, because the first thing I saw was the Fel Pro Head gaskets that aren't very old. The cylinders look pretty good too. There isn't a ton of carbon in the combustion chamber either. That looks like a relatively low mile engine to me. I say less than 20K on it since it was apart. ....but take it how you want to, I just rebuild engines everyday for living.
I saw the newer gaskets as I was pulling everything apart; what I find curious is that the PO made it sound as if the engine was bored over when it was rebuilt.

Either way:

Pulled the engine! Also made a dangerous visit to TurnKey Engine Supply just up the road from me... Decisions, decisions!
Old 07-23-2011, 04:15 PM
mcjackscorvettes
Advanced

Originally Posted by TPI BOY
Where else in orange county do you take your vettes
for repair
Ive been taking my 82 to McJacks for about 12 years. He does restoration, paint, interior, and repair. Always had amazing service. I remember a few years ago taking my Vette in to them and they were filming Overhauling there with Chip Foose. They let me hang out and watch!

Get notified of new replies

To Today was big day...

Old 07-23-2011, 06:49 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Any updates?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 AM
sokoloka
Instructor

Just realized it's been a year+ since I visited CorvetteForum and updated this thread! Here's where we're at a year later:

WHERE WE ARE TODAY:

HIGHLIGHTS:
TurnKey Engine Supply LS3
Tremec TKO600 5spd

VanSteel Coilovers front / rear
VanSteel Tubular A-Arms
VanSteel Offset Trailing Arms
VanSteel Borgeson Power Steering Conversion

FINALLY HAVE PAINT! Actually had it last week but just got back to London from the weekend in Poland and have been without internet access for a few days.

Any second guessing or doubt I had in my color choice is completely gone. Can't wait to see it with the hood / t-tops / etc painted and assembled. Should be cut and buffed this week.

Current plan is to black out all trim and the chrome bumpers - going to be a pain on pieces like the door handles but should look viscious.

Don't remember what position I had the coilovers cranked to but hopefully will settle or drop on the springs a bit as weight is put back in.

Cannot even begin to describe how ecstatic I was when I saw these photos. I dropped the body off at JD Corvette in May of 2011 - it's been a long road and a lesson in patience but sometimes good things come to those who wait!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 AM
sokoloka
Instructor

Sorry for the delay in updates - been a big year for me personally and it's been tough to keep up! Work moved me to London last year at the end of August so I've been away from the car making all progress besides body and paint limited. Move back to SD in 34 days however, plan to get on the car for a solid two weeks before I go back to work!

Quick Reply: Today was big day...