Old 06-08-2011, 04:35 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 427SIXPACK
thats a 68 plate on a 68 car ?????
that's correct. you need the year of the plate to match the model year of the car (which is why cars in florida starting around 78 or so are SOL because that's when they went to that "generic" florida plate with the outline of the state in the background. if you were around back then you'll remember that the only thing they changed were the letter/number colors from green to red and back again. at any point in time on the roads you saw any combination of both of those plates because they stopped changing them every 2 years and went to changing them every 5 years. and they all looked the same except for the letter/number color
Old 06-08-2011, 05:23 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my plate. You are right that the plate needs to be the year of the car. You really have a choice between the red and green because for example my car is a 69 and I could get a red plate that is 68-69 or a green plate that is 69-70. Got my plate in the mail today and going tomorrow to register it.
Name:  Vette.jpg
Views: 3411
Size:  129.3 KB
Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 AM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

I have Florida plates back to '68 that were actually on my cars back then. I am retired and bought a home in Florida this winter and am moving back after 30 years. I would like to put the '73 tag on my '73 Vette.

The old tag starts with 1W. The "1" being Dade County and the "W" being the weight of the vehicle (off a '72 Riviera).

Does the weight on the plate have to match the weight of the vehicle today? Would the weight of a C3 be a "1" or a "1W"? Are there limitatation to vehicle use with these old tags?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:04 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by 08vycpe
I have Florida plates back to '68 that were actually on my cars back then. I am retired and bought a home in Florida this winter and am moving back after 30 years. I would like to put the '73 tag on my '73 Vette.

The old tag starts with 1W. The "1" being Dade County and the "W" being the weight of the vehicle (off a '72 Riviera).

Does the weight on the plate have to match the weight of the vehicle today? Would the weight of a C3 be a "1" or a "1W"? Are there limitatation to vehicle use with these old tags?
I just got back from motor vehicle office and yes the tag has to match the year of the vehicle and also needs to match the weight designation of the tag. Some tags are for vehicles >5000 lbs etc and they are marked as such on the plate. I have to actually send a photo of the plate to Tallahasee to have it authenticated.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:59 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by BTGRN75
I got a regular Fl. tag (didn't like the blue either) and paid the lower antique price. The green matches mine perfectly
How where you able to do that since everyone else is saying you need a plate from the year the car was manufactured? If it is correct and legal to do what you are doing, that sounds like a no brainer.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:38 PM
BTGRN75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by CRAIGVETTE
How where you able to do that since everyone else is saying you need a plate from the year the car was manufactured? If it is correct and legal to do what you are doing, that sounds like a no brainer.
Went to the tag office--said I didn't like the color--asked it I could have the generic Fl. tag for the same price-- and she said yes.

1) “Regular” tag either “MyFlorida.Com”, with or without the county name, or one of the 100+ specialty tags (extra fees vary) such as “Save the Manatee”. It’s the same procedure for your everyday late model vehicle. You’ll need your old registration/title, proof of insurance and a Florida Driver’s License. RS-01*

(3) “Antique” tag with light blue background “ANTIQUE” plate if the modified or unmodified car, truck or motorcycle was manufactured in 1946 or later AND is 30 years old or more, AND equipped with an engine of 30 years old or more. Thus they are post-war vehicles but with 30 plus year old engines and bodies. These are non-permanent tags and DO have to be renewed each year. (Eg.: a 1948 Chevy with a 1977 engine can’t be registered with an Antique tag until the year 2007.) [Permanent, non-transferable Antique tags are only issued for old fire apparatus, historical or military vehicles where Form HSMV 83045‡ applies.] RS-25*

(5) or lastly, and the most prized, “Authenticated” tag in various colors, sizes and numbering systems, usually a “SUNSHINE STATE” plate, otherwise known as Year of Manufacture (YOM) tags. You need to find an old Florida license plate, made in 1975 or earlier, with any county code (first number) and class code (1-3 letters before the dash)° that matches the year your vehicle was made and you want to use it as your current valid license tag. Thus your vehicle must be 1975 or older too, but does NOT have to agree with the county and class codes on the vintage plate. The DMV makes no mention of modified or unmodified vehicles for these tags used on old vehicles. See the detailed procedure below. RS-25

Three of 5 ways-- Here is the link http://www.thevillagesvintagecarclub...intage_car.htm
Old 06-09-2011, 05:17 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 69VetteFla
I just got back from motor vehicle office and yes the tag has to match the year of the vehicle and also needs to match the weight designation of the tag. Some tags are for vehicles >5000 lbs etc and they are marked as such on the plate. I have to actually send a photo of the plate to Tallahasee to have it authenticated.
i completely disagree unless they have changed things dramatically. the plate (correct year) i had on my 71 el camino (it was the 1970/1971 combo plate) was actually a trailer plate back then. i had no problem using it as my regular "antique vanity" plate for my car. as i mentioned previously, however when i did apply for the use, i had to send the tag to tallahassee to DMV for their verification of condition and the fact that it wasn't already in use by someone else. once they approved it, they sent it back to me authorized and registered complete with the renewal sticker on it. for what it is worth, the antique plate is cheaper to renew annually than a regular "passenger" car type (my florida.com type)

BTW the 48 chevy with the 77 engine can be registered as a street rod (yes, virginia, there is a plate for that, lol) the street rod plate is a red one.

Last edited by srs244; 06-09-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by BTGRN75
Went to the tag office--said I didn't like the color--asked it I could have the generic Fl. tag for the same price-- and she said yes.

1) “Regular” tag either “MyFlorida.Com”, with or without the county name, or one of the 100+ specialty tags (extra fees vary) such as “Save the Manatee”. It’s the same procedure for your everyday late model vehicle. You’ll need your old registration/title, proof of insurance and a Florida Driver’s License. RS-01*

(3) “Antique” tag with light blue background “ANTIQUE” plate if the modified or unmodified car, truck or motorcycle was manufactured in 1946 or later AND is 30 years old or more, AND equipped with an engine of 30 years old or more. Thus they are post-war vehicles but with 30 plus year old engines and bodies. These are non-permanent tags and DO have to be renewed each year. (Eg.: a 1948 Chevy with a 1977 engine can’t be registered with an Antique tag until the year 2007.) [Permanent, non-transferable Antique tags are only issued for old fire apparatus, historical or military vehicles where Form HSMV 83045‡ applies.] RS-25*

(5) or lastly, and the most prized, “Authenticated” tag in various colors, sizes and numbering systems, usually a “SUNSHINE STATE” plate, otherwise known as Year of Manufacture (YOM) tags. You need to find an old Florida license plate, made in 1975 or earlier, with any county code (first number) and class code (1-3 letters before the dash)° that matches the year your vehicle was made and you want to use it as your current valid license tag. Thus your vehicle must be 1975 or older too, but does NOT have to agree with the county and class codes on the vintage plate. The DMV makes no mention of modified or unmodified vehicles for these tags used on old vehicles. See the detailed procedure below. RS-25

Three of 5 ways-- Here is the link http://www.thevillagesvintagecarclub...intage_car.htm
Great to hear! So if I am understanding you correctly, you can get a new tag, but still have it and the car registered as antique if it is at least 30 years old? Sounds much better than the baby blue antique plates.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 PM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Because I live in Tennessee?? Oh! You meant your car.

But seriously, folks... You might want to check into the intent and restrictions on cars with the "antique" plates. In TN, they are meant only for use at car shows or antique events. Legally, if you are just 'driving around', an officer could give a citation for casual driving with an antique plate. (probably wouldn't happen, though)
I was told that as long that you had antique plate in tn you could run a year of manufactior plate if you had the antique plate and registration in the car. would love to have a'69 plate for my 69.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:53 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I Actually like the blue antique tag. I don't think the year of my car had any nice plates back then either. I like the contrast of it against my orange paint.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:33 PM
robo427
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
The antique plate is an ugly baby blue color?
Could be worse and be light yellow.....
Old 11-03-2012, 07:01 PM
scorpion18z
Racer

I have antique plates on my 1982 and didn't notice much, if any, reduced registration cost. When I take my car to a show I remove the plate and affix a black corvette plate (my car is red) until I am ready to leave, when I switch them back again. I look at the antique plate as a "earned badge of longevity" with pride, but then again the small sh** doesn't bother me (except at car shows).
Old 11-03-2012, 10:12 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

A friend who builds 30s street rods has used several YOM tags, and he tells me that the tag you submit to Tallahassee can not be restored, it has to be original. It may be rejected if it is in bad condition, or not readable from a certain distance. He says if it is rejected, you can re-submit it, and sometimes a different reviewer may approve it. He also says it would be better to send an original one in to be verified, then restore it once it`s been approved.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:43 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

the normal plate FL is half price too. just ask for the antique price
Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Frank.luvstingrays
Racer

http://www.floridaplates.com/codes/index.html
Beginning in 1938 Florida assigned a number for each county based on population at the time. This is the first digit(s) on a plate from this era. Dade county was largest (Miami) it so they were assigned the number one. The codes were abolished with the 1980 license plates. So if your license plate begins with a (1) you now know it came from Dade County. See Chart Below for all county designations.
If it was 1970 and you walked into a Chevy dealer you drove off the lot with a brand new car & tag dated 70-71 color blue.
Peace
Frank
Old 11-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 69 plates on my car and drive anywhere i want,but i do have a set of regular plates in the car,dmv said to always carry regular plates with car and it was ok to run old plates. And police really dont bother you. in my case.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:01 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Maryland and MY plates on my 64 and 72 are REAL ANTIQUE PLates..

They read on 3 individual lines on the left side of the plate and a number on the right

----------------------
ANTIQUE
MOTOR . 347
VEHICLE
-----------------------
my other "Antique" cars run plates corresponding to they year of manufacture except my 88 which used stickers on the plates .

If I ever get stopped you all know I am on my way to of from a Parade a Car Show, or a Cruise In OR to a tire shop to have one of my wheels re blanced...or my air checked

Bob G

Get notified of new replies

To Antique Plates in Florida

Old 11-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by robo427
Could be worse and be light yellow.....
I think a light yellow would go very well with Daytona Yellow. Baby blue just doesn't work for me. What are you trying to tell us, that you don't like yellow vettes?

Last edited by Faster Rat; 11-04-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Frank.luvstingrays
Racer

Originally Posted by Billysvette
I have 69 plates on my car and drive anywhere i want,but i do have a set of regular plates in the car,dmv said to always carry regular plates with car and it was ok to run old plates. And police really dont bother you. in my case.
As long as you had the tag authenticated by tallahassee fl the tag is now yours with a registration it can be used on another car for example a 70 - 71 tag can be used on a 69,70,71 & 72
Peace
Frank
Old 11-05-2012, 04:02 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

If you run an original year Plate now they charge you the $25 vanity plate fee on top of the antique plate charge I think it started in 2010.
Mark

Quick Reply: Antique Plates in Florida