Sponsored by:

Whats the best way to upgrade stereo in C3

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Yellow1980
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dmeesq
Weird, that third wire should be a constant????
Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Yellow1980
Pro

Originally Posted by jsp2242
Hi Guys I want to Thank You all for the help, with "yellow 1980's" diagram I was all set and was able to get the gauge cluster out and the radio lifted out without a problem, of course after seeing "dmeesq's" speakers guess what my next project is? along this line does anyone know what the 3rd wire in the power connector is for? there is the switched power, ground and? I was hoping it was constant power but no luck, and does the dash speaker grills come out from the top to replace those tired OEM speakers? Thanks again. -JSP2242
Do you have a power antenna? If so, the wire from the radio is normally blue.

The dash speaker do come out through the top, the grills can be removed by pulling one side back with a standard screw driver.

Last edited by Yellow1980; 06-13-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 AM
jsp2242
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, first thing I did was put a test light on all 3 wires to be sure and tried with the key on and off, the switched power was fine but I got nothing from the other two, and one of those was black (ground) the third is grey in color? of course this old Delco radio is not digital and there is no power antenna so not sure if a constant would be present. -JSP2242
Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Yellow1980
Pro

Hi, first thing I did was put a test light on all 3 wires to be sure and tried with the key on and off, the switched power was fine but I got nothing from the other two, and one of those was black (ground) the third is grey in color? of course this old Delco radio is not digital and there is no power antenna so not sure if a constant would be present. -JSP2242
The Gray wire is probably tied to your light switch dimmer. Turn your lights on and you will get power. It may or may not be used with your new radio.

You may need to tap into a power on constant wire, like maybe the clock or glove box light wire. If somebody else on the forum has done it please chime in! My vette already had a power on constant available that looked like it may have been added when the old Kenwood was installed in 1988.

You will need the power on constant to keep presets.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:09 AM
jsp2242
Navigator

Originally Posted by Yellow1980
The Gray wire is probably tied to your light switch dimmer. Turn your lights on and you will get power. It may or may not be used with your new radio.

You may need to tap into a power on constant wire, like maybe the clock or glove box light wire. If somebody else on the forum has done it please chime in! My vette already had a power on constant available that looked like it may have been added when the old Kenwood was installed in 1988.

You will need the power on constant to keep presets.
Well you were correct sir, I was able to tap into glove compartment light and it works great, Thank you very much for your invaluable assistance and now for those dash speakers, -JSP2242[/SIZE]

Last edited by jsp2242; 06-15-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:45 AM
longnose624
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dgood
There are 2 screws above the gauges, one on each side and then you have to remove the carpet on the sides of the tranny tunnel so you can get to the 2 screws on the bottom from the inside. It is very easy to put in a new radio. Put some new 4X6 speakers in the dash and kick panels, a couple of new 6X9 in the rear and you will enjoy the new tunes. Amp helps also. Paul 74 is correct, just cosmetic.
I have a 78 and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the carpet on the sides of the tranny tunnel removed. Could you give me instructions on how this is done? Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 PM
dgood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On each side it is the same. With your leg streched out, right at about the middle of your shin there is a screw that goes through the carpet to your tranny tunnel. Feel around and you will see what I mean. Now up by the seat there is another screw about even with the emergency brake and about 2 inches down on the carpet panel. It may be easier to remove the seats to do this.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:37 PM
tedzeppelin
Heel & Toe

What size sub do you have in there? Where did you get your box?
Old 08-14-2015, 04:56 PM
Jason Burt
Intermediate

Hi Guys I want to Thank You all for the help, with "yellow 1980's" diagram I was all set and was able to get the gauge cluster out and the radio lifted out without a problem, of course after seeing "dmeesq's" speakers guess what my next project is? along this line does anyone know what the 3rd wire in the power connector is for? there is the switched power, ground and? I was hoping it was constant power but no luck, and does the dash speaker grills come out from the top to replace those tired OEM speakers? Thanks again. -JSP2242
Does your car have a power antenna? Might have been the remote lead to raise and lower the power antenna.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:16 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

If I remember right most of the ones I have done follow.
Yellow constant battery 12v
Red switched ignition 12v
Black ground.
What deck are you using and are those the colors you have to work with?

Quick Reply: Whats the best way to upgrade stereo in C3