Sponsored by:

well...Im Alive

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Frank.luvstingrays
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LancePearson

Glad you are well. Hope your day wasn't too tough and that you are coping. You will have some tough days but you will heal. Keep it clean and use antibiotics....

Lance
Old 07-07-2011, 06:50 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Dose11...Thanks for taking the energy and time to type what you remember. I can't comment on actual experience driving my 76 with posi rear end and 10" wide versus oem 8" or less wide tires front and rear in the rain because I've only driven it a couple times in sprinkles but I've always read that the first 15 minutes of a rain storm are the worst because it adds water to the natural oils, tiny particles of rubber from tires and other things, either left on the road or in your case possibly on the new tarmac materials until it washes away. I like my 255 mm wide tires as they grip terrifically on dry roads but if mine were at all smooth or less than brand new I've wondered how fast they could wick water out of that ten inch face to actually let the ribber touch and have traction. I don't know but I've been prepared to be cautious.

My reason for thinking about it initially was the VIR track day May 5 (turned out to be 70 and dry) with its 17 turns and the fact that they run Rain or Shine. Less throttle, smoother braking and shifting was the advice all the way around as posi under throttle will break the back end loose with less traction more readily I read when I asked others.

When you first started to lose the rear end if you touched the throttle or brakes at all in any of that sequence my guess is you could inadvertently have created an exxagerated swing in the rear end and if there was 1/8-1/4" of new gusher rain that hadn't washed away it might very well have felt like ice. Our cars aren't lightweights at 3540#'s...weighed mine on public scale without me in it two months ago....but with my 10" face width tires I've often though I could be driving a snowboard under certain circumstances in rain especially heavy rain, curvy roads and any braking or throttle in any gear that was less than the speed or put tension to the back wheels. Same thing might happen to me so you're probably not alone. Takes experience to even remotely anticipate it I'd guess that I don't have. I was going to practice on their big concrete skid pad if it was raining first but that didn't come up with a dry day.

There's probably somebody on the forum that knows the answers to all this but when I looked on the racing forum before the comments were general because there aren't a lot of races in the rain but there are some track days rain or shine like VIR was.

If someone knows, it would be good to share 'cause positraction rear ends combined with enough torque and independent suspension has to drive differently than non posi in a car with no torque on less than grip surfaces.

Glad you are well. Hope your day wasn't too tough and that you are coping. You will have some tough days but you will heal. Keep it clean and use antibiotics....

Lance
I think a factor is how close to the rear axle you sit in a C3. It exaggerates the sensation of the back end losing traction, and it is easy to overcompensate until you get used to it. When I was a kid, back in the '70s, Corvettes were famous for being involved in "sideswipe" accidents, for this very reason.

Scott
Old 07-07-2011, 06:54 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"I think a factor is how close to the rear axle you sit in a C3. It exaggerates the sensation of the back end losing traction, and it is easy to overcompensate until you get used to it. When I was a kid, back in the '70s, Corvettes were famous for being involved in "sideswipe" accidents, for this very reason.

Scott "

That's interesting....you do sit way back there. I really wish there was a place I could practice spinning the car's back end out, drifting it around. This spring I did that a little because they don't use salt here on snow but put sand down for grip and when the snow is gone the sand is pretty easy to slide around on. I did that in March getting ready for the track but only did it a couple days for a little time. maybe this winter when there is some snow out I'll take the car out in it on a quiet road and start playing with it to get experience.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:02 AM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Dose11
but I wanna go see my car
SO glad you are around and with us
Just a thought but maybe it would be good to just let the old car go and start spending time becoming an expert on prices and what's happening now in the car market so when your well your ready for the hunt of a new and even better Corvette.
Heal well my friend
Old 07-10-2011, 11:58 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

How are you doing a week or so later? Hope you are progressing. Don't get discouraged!

Lance
Old 07-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I just got home from 2 weeks of being out of town. Holy crap, Dose!

Yes, very happy you are alive. Also glad to read what strong character is all about.

I cannot imagine what you went through in pain management before the accident and now this. You are one special dude, Dude!

I didn't see any pics but just reading your account of the events that day has my pucker-factor on high alert.

I'll add you into my daily prayers for a steady recovery and that you are healed as quickly as modern medicine can make it so. Your strong spirit speaks for itself.

Hang in there, brother!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How are you doing a week or so later? Hope you are progressing. Don't get discouraged!

Lance
I'm doing better....the swelling in my leg has gone down dramatically, my foot is normal size again. I keep having respiratory issues tho which are just now getting better....I would rather be in pain than not be able to breath! I've been spitting up huge amounts of liquid from my lungs...but I'm almost better......
Old 07-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Dose11
Drifting

I'm going to have a new thread soon....wife got to see the car....I am SOOOOOOOOO THANKFUL
Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Glad you are doing better. You'll have a number of issues that they will have to wrestle with medically while you get your leg better so keep positive. Being still in limited positions really makes the lungs and breathing difficult so not unexpected.

When both my knees were replaced the same day it was a good four days before I could move my heels on my own...the legs shut down when that much surgery is done as a protective device for the body. Never felt so helpless in my life in addition to all the staples and leg movements constantly with a machine then the daily in the hospital therapy for another 6 days. It was work to rehab from the knees and took far longer than an impatient person like me ever anticipated.

Be well, do what the health care pros say and when they let you do activities do them wholeheartedly as approved physical activity helps the lungs, etc. a lot.

I washed my Vette in the garage this morning and am going to jack one side up a little and made a minor change and measure something in a little bit.

Supposed to be 100 here tomorrow in Va. ...yuk hot level.

Lance
Old 07-11-2011, 02:20 PM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope you are feeling better!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Have you started therepy yet? Good news that the swelling has gone down. Long journey, small steps so be well and keep posting on your progress.
Mick
Old 07-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Dose11
Drifting

I won't have therapy. I have to start teaching myself to walk next week. Crazy I know
Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Oh, my! Speaking as a guy who has had two hips and two knees replaced that is an interesting choice. If it's because it isn't available or provided through insurance that's one thing to make decisions about. If it is because you are like all us 6'4" tall, big, independent guys who don't need any help and are smart enough to do it on our own, that's another.

It's all your decision but I'd be willing to bet the ranch that if therapy help is available you will heal better, do it in total faster, be more comfortable even with the pushing you will need to do to get through it with professional help than doing it on your own and I'm every bit as independent a guy as you ever thought of being, trust me!

With a long term ill wife when she was alive who needed lots of things, with my own above experience I am superbly qualified to say this: the physical therapy people are miracle workers. Absolute miracle workers. They are crosses between angels and Hitler death camp guards but they do amazing things from when you first start to when you are done, just amazing.

If it's your choice because you like to be independent, that's your choice but, I'd really encourage you to get some form of professional therapy if nothing else than to guide you.

You are a young enough person that you don't want to do this wrong as you are gonna wanna walk on that leg a long time and even if all goes normally and well, it is going to be difficult. Trust me.

My concern is to give you hard earned experience that has direct bearing in case no one else has.

Of course, the choice is always yours and my two cents is worth just what you paid for it, two cents, but anyone with experience I believe will unequivoucally support what I've said and urge you to consider doing.

If it's a matter of cost, just do the first couple of visits and get a "plan" that you can do on your own and then go again much later to see how it's doing.

With best regards for your return to full funcion.

Lance Pearson
Old 07-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Lance,

Actually the doctors said I don't need PT. Not my choice, I was expecting PT, I have health insurance. I was shocked as well when I was told. The doctors actually said if I was missing so much tissue and muscle in the front of my leg, and it could a been closed normally...I could have walked the next day after surgery. Also because miraculously my knee or ankle was not injured the doctors said there's nothing to rehabilitate, my leg is sturdy. The only reason I have been on bed rest is because of the second surgery......which took secondary muscle from my calf and wrapped it around my shin area then put a skin graft on top of it. We have just been waiting for the muscle to attach itself to the bone properly and heal.

Starting Monday I'm suppose to start teaching myself to walk again...slowly. Let my leg get used to not being elevated....let it sit flat on the floor yada a yada yada. Sounds crazy I know.....but like you all said...listen to the docs
Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Well, that's good news. One way I read what you wrote reminded me so much of my macho self at times I was concerned. You have the right attitude. Keep milking the: "Honey, I hate to bother you but can you please bring me another cold iced tea" routine.

Sounds like you have a good prognosis. Keep it up.

Lance
Old 07-15-2011, 07:55 PM
BFI6603
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New to the forum and just read this thread about your accident, your positive attitude will definitely pull you through this. Hang in there! -Pete
Old 07-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by BFI6603
New to the forum and just read this thread about your accident, your positive attitude will definitely pull you through this. Hang in there! -Pete
Welcome Pete, I am/was pretty new myself....and these guys were great and a big help during the good times...and now the bad....which aren't so bad 3 weeks later.

Youll meet great ppl here. And thanks

Get notified of new replies

To well...Im Alive

Old 07-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Well, that's good news. One way I read what you wrote reminded me so much of my macho self at times I was concerned. You have the right attitude. Keep milking the: "Honey, I hate to bother you but can you please bring me another cold iced tea" routine.

Sounds like you have a good prognosis. Keep it up.

Lance
Oh nooooo. I was ready for Pt. I'm just ready to be out the bed!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

If it's your choice because you like to be independent, that's your choice but, I'd really encourage you to get some form of professional therapy if nothing else than to guide you.
I agree with Lance. I'm grateful for my PT. They know more about rehab than you or I, and I walk again with no limp.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Just following docs orders right now Mick

Quick Reply: well...Im Alive