C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People familiar with the C3 market, please appraise these two vintage C3 racecars

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:20 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts
Default People familiar with the C3 market, please appraise these two vintage C3 racecars

I am considering a trade of some assetts for the following two vehicles. I would like to know what current market values you people think these would bring, as I would likely do the trade and sell one. This is a tough appraisal for me, so I was looking for a helping hand on this. The owner can't really estimate what he has invested in the two, but he knows it a heck of a lot:

1969 Corvette

350 fully built
BB rear end
Full cage
Car is built and raced in Vintage series
Has title as well as SCCA logbook dating back to 1972
Car has 2 races on it since full restoration

1969 Corvette

Newer 1981 or so body painted how I want it be painted
no title, but has logbook to mid 80's
Bored Stroked 350 (owner can't recall displacement) over 15k invested
This one must NOT conform to vintage standards so it's got more modern equipment
Coilover suspension
brand new restoration (0 races)
Multiple sets of wheels
HD rear end
Full safety equip

That's a quickie breakdown. Both cars have fire supression, transponders, safety equipment, brake upgrades, fuel system upgrades, etc. Both full racecars....one in vintage, one competes in another more modern category.

Pics

The other car currently being restored

and it's current state. The car will be completed before the transaction occurs.

Last edited by RC000E; 07-15-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:00 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Wow....didn't get very far.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:21 PM
sokoloka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first one is pretty amazing.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:18 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

I will make it easier....does anyone here feel the first is worth 70k? I'm thinkin no way, but I'm not in tune with the C3 market, nor the value of a car with some racing history. Together are the cars worth 90k and sellable in this market?
Old 07-16-2011, 06:34 AM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I will make it easier....does anyone here feel the first is worth 70k? I'm thinkin no way, but I'm not in tune with the C3 market, nor the value of a car with some racing history. Together are the cars worth 90k and sellable in this market?
Hi Western PA bro! Might want if not already place this question in racing sections where the SCCA guys hang out and check listings where they sell used race cars. Wish I could help with value but have no clue other than it sure costs a lot to restore.
Good luck,
Old 07-16-2011, 06:34 AM
Hadez
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check these out for comparison.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-...-for-sale.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-...vette-29k.html
Old 07-16-2011, 06:38 AM
sokoloka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiousity - do you have any photos of the coilover setup on the first one?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Have the cars professionally appraised. At that point you can determine whether they are on a par with the "assets" you want swap.

Have you checked the SCCA records for the pedigree on either car?

Last edited by Easy Mike; 07-16-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Yoi! Wouldn't they sound good blasting around Schenley Park n'at!!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:25 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
NEVER happen....I sent you a PM yesterday...did you get it?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:28 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

neither of those cars are true vintage racers, the first one is a solo racer a pylon racer, the second one with the late body, coil overs and slicks will race in the slicks & wings class not against the other Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, jaguars, Shelby`s or AC Cobras....
Old 07-16-2011, 01:54 PM
KevinK
Drifting

Neither of those cars are worth more than 45,000...unless that first "vintage" one has some pedigree. When you buy vintage race cars, a huge value adder is which races it has participated in, who it was driven by, and if they won said race or not. They are valued for their historical significance, rather than performance or anything else. So, in that log book, see who drove it and where, and if there are any significant wins. As for the second one, it's basically a tube frame "sillouette" car, not street legal. A lot of it's value depends on the components that went into it. In other words, beyond the fact that it IS, or WILL be a race car...is it well made, will it be reliable, etc? THAT is what you pay for in a car like that. And remember, the only place you'll ever be able to drive it is on a track. Cop catches you driving that on the road, you're in trouble.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:56 PM
KevinK
Drifting

How about that other white racer, number 37? How much he want for that? I'd like to get me some of that...
Old 07-16-2011, 10:15 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I don't think this well help much but you can take a look anyway. http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/ch...59963925ss.htm It's a big block car and it's similar in condition to the 1st blue car. This has been for sale for awhile and it's been listed on ebay with no takers as of yet. While there may be well over the 70K asking price in the 1st car I believe in this market that will be a very tough sell also.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

If you are buying to race vintage, the blue one is the better choice. It looks like a car, which is what vintage is supposed to be.

Price sounds crazy. It really upsets me to think how little my '66 race car went for.

Be sure the log book is valid and matches the numbers on the cage, however, it wouldn't be the first time a cage was pulled from a real car and put in a street car. Or simply stamp the number of a real car in a street car.

The AP on the blue one indicates A production, which means it should be a Big Block in order to run AP. Vintage racing seems to be all over on rules, so Redvetracr is your best source on things like that if this is still true or even matters anymore.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:48 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Well, despite desire to do this deal, I think I am going to pass. My initial thinking is I would get stuck with the car, the same as I am stuck with the one I am trying to sell. So, with that said I think I am regrettably going to pass on this combo deal. Sounds like 70k for both would be a tough sale and I well know first hand this is a rough and tough market right now. Just wasn't sure if vintage C3's had a little bit healthier demand right now....guess not.

Looks like I'm keepin the GT40 longer.

BTW...just came from Beaverun today at the Vintage Grand Prix....descent turnout. You'll see me at the water front with a Factory Five GTM.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:46 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 77 Posts

Default c3 race car

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
If you are buying to race vintage, the blue one is the better choice. It looks like a car, which is what vintage is supposed to be.

Price sounds crazy. It really upsets me to think how little my '66 race car went for.

Be sure the log book is valid and matches the numbers on the cage, however, it wouldn't be the first time a cage was pulled from a real car and put in a street car. Or simply stamp the number of a real car in a street car.

The AP on the blue one indicates A production, which means it should be a Big Block in order to run AP. Vintage racing seems to be all over on rules, so Redvetracr is your best source on things like that if this is still true or even matters anymore.

Actually back in the mid seventies the 1970 LT-1's ran A/P even though it was a small block. Good friend Paul Misurello ran a A/P 1970 LT-1 quite sucessfully against Big blocks. They were allowed to weight less. When I put a LS-7 in my 66 to run A/P I discovered that since the 454 had never been available in a C-2 ( I knew that ! ) I would have to run A/SR rather than A/P . Some different rules back then.
Regarding the two cars for sale my gut feeling is that the #39 car would be in the high 20's to mid 30's range unless it had a famous owner/driver in it's past.If so then maybe a bit more. My late friend Babe Headleys car sold in the mid 40's last year and it has a winning history/ logbook etc. . --- Ken

Last edited by keystonefarm; 07-17-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:24 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

A lot of 68-72 A/P & B/P Corvette vintage racers, seem to sell in the high $20's to high $30's. A car with a unique history, or that was raced by a name driver, will usually bring more. I would think that the blue car, would fall somewhere into that range.

The second car (the #3) would probably be eligible for vintage racing in SVRA Group 10. Group 10 encompasses cars that meet SCCA Trans-AM or GT-1, as well as IMSA GTO, GTS, GTX, AAGT. etc., rules for the period between 73 and 99. I'd guess, that as a turn key race car, it would probably be in the low $20's?

Title's aren't really a big deal with race cars, as many don't have them. The log book is more important, as it shows both ownership and race history of the car. The only time you may want a title on a vintage race car, is if you expect to sell it overseas, as some foreign countries (such as France) may require a title to import it.

$90,000 seems way high to me, I would think the value for the pair is more like $60,000?

If you decide you may be interested in these cars after all, You may want to talk to Jim Glass. Jim has a Corvette business specializing in used Corvettes, including vintage race cars. He sells, restores, services, and races vintages Corvettes. A call to him may give you a better idea of value, as well as he may be able to help you sell the one you don't keep.

It's Jim Glass Corvette in Kingston, NY, 845-331-5666, his website is www.jimglasscorvette.com. You can tell him you that Glenn from Cosmetics in NJ, passed on his number. He knows me well, as I crew for him from time to time.

Get notified of new replies

To People familiar with the C3 market, please appraise these two vintage C3 racecars

Quick Reply: People familiar with the C3 market, please appraise these two vintage C3 racecars