Sponsored by:

Garage Fumes

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:45 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DC3
It'd be a couple of weeks before I could get a pic so let me just describe what I did. The basic premise is to follow the flow of air through the unit and then seal any areas where air could be drawn into the unit from the garage.

My air handler (furnace) is an updraft model (the return air enters from the bottom and the air flow is up). The closet has an elevated floor (about 18" off the ground). The furnace sits on the floor of the closet. The return air duct enters from below and connects to the bottom of the floor.

So, one place air could get sucked into the air handler from the garage is where the furnace cabinet meets the closet floor. I caulked this area.

I then noticed that I had several screws and/or bolts going through the exterior of the furnace cabinet for holding various braces and components inside the cabinet. I placed tape over the heads of the screws to prevent any air from getting past them. Overkill? - probably, but it's my tape and I'm not afraid to use it.

On top of the furnace sits the indoor AC coil (evaporator) cabinet. You can tell which part is the evaporator because the copper refrigerant lines will run into that part of the cabinet. The main duct line into the house sits on top of the evaporator. The installer had taped the joint where the evaporator meets the duct but his work was a little sloppy and I went over it again with more foil tape. I could not tell if the evaporator cabinet had a gasket between it and the furnace cabinet so I taped this joint as well for good measure.

My evaporator cabinet has an access panel to get to the evaporator coil. This panel has a gasket but I did not care for the way it fit so I sealed the joints of the access panel by taping them with the foil tape. The evaporator is rarely accessed and its not too much trouble to cut through the tape to get it open if needed so it didn't bother me to seal it up.

The area where the refrigerant lines ran into the evaporator cabinet had some type of plastic grommet that fit very loosely. I taped up where both lines enter the cabinet.

Fumes from the garage could enter the attic through the fold down attic stairs in the ceiling of the garage, so I climbed into the attic and checked all of the joints of the ducts to make sure all were well sealed. I also added some weatherstripping to the fold down stairs.

As the area below the furnace closet floor is for return air, any penetration or gap in the wall would have allowed garage air to enter the return air chamber and then into the air handler. I pulled a short section of baseboard off the bottom of the wall at the furnace closet and I caulked the bottom of the sheet rock to prevent air from getting behind it and into the return air chamber.

Depending on how your furnace closet floor is constructed, you might want to caulk where it meets the walls.

That's really it. Low cost but requires a little effort.

If you had some way to generate some "smoke", you could turn on the blower fan and see for sure where (or if) air from the garage was getting into your unit. I wonder if some dry ice would produce enough visible smoke to detect leaks into the air handler? Hmmm. I'll have to keep that one in the back of my mind for another day.

Hope this helps.

DC
I greatly appreciate your taking the time to help me out. Sounds like you have a very similar setup as me folding attic stairs and all. I am so exhausted right now but will definitely spend time tomorrow making those fixes you listed. Really - thank you!!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:39 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by DC3
It'd be a couple of weeks before I could get a pic so let me just describe what I did. The basic premise is to follow the flow of air through the unit and then seal any areas where air could be drawn into the unit from the garage.

My air handler (furnace) is an updraft model (the return air enters from the bottom and the air flow is up). The closet has an elevated floor (about 18" off the ground). The furnace sits on the floor of the closet. The return air duct enters from below and connects to the bottom of the floor.

So, one place air could get sucked into the air handler from the garage is where the furnace cabinet meets the closet floor. I caulked this area.

I then noticed that I had several screws and/or bolts going through the exterior of the furnace cabinet for holding various braces and components inside the cabinet. I placed tape over the heads of the screws to prevent any air from getting past them. Overkill? - probably, but it's my tape and I'm not afraid to use it.

On top of the furnace sits the indoor AC coil (evaporator) cabinet. You can tell which part is the evaporator because the copper refrigerant lines will run into that part of the cabinet. The main duct line into the house sits on top of the evaporator. The installer had taped the joint where the evaporator meets the duct but his work was a little sloppy and I went over it again with more foil tape. I could not tell if the evaporator cabinet had a gasket between it and the furnace cabinet so I taped this joint as well for good measure.

My evaporator cabinet has an access panel to get to the evaporator coil. This panel has a gasket but I did not care for the way it fit so I sealed the joints of the access panel by taping them with the foil tape. The evaporator is rarely accessed and its not too much trouble to cut through the tape to get it open if needed so it didn't bother me to seal it up.

The area where the refrigerant lines ran into the evaporator cabinet had some type of plastic grommet that fit very loosely. I taped up where both lines enter the cabinet.

Fumes from the garage could enter the attic through the fold down attic stairs in the ceiling of the garage, so I climbed into the attic and checked all of the joints of the ducts to make sure all were well sealed. I also added some weatherstripping to the fold down stairs.

As the area below the furnace closet floor is for return air, any penetration or gap in the wall would have allowed garage air to enter the return air chamber and then into the air handler. I pulled a short section of baseboard off the bottom of the wall at the furnace closet and I caulked the bottom of the sheet rock to prevent air from getting behind it and into the return air chamber.

Depending on how your furnace closet floor is constructed, you might want to caulk where it meets the walls.

That's really it. Low cost but requires a little effort.

If you had some way to generate some "smoke", you could turn on the blower fan and see for sure where (or if) air from the garage was getting into your unit. I wonder if some dry ice would produce enough visible smoke to detect leaks into the air handler? Hmmm. I'll have to keep that one in the back of my mind for another day.

Hope this helps.

DC
Just finished up doing the fixes you listed. Really helpful and I think it will make a big difference. When I was doing the insulation/weather stripping on the attic door I noticed a cool breeze coming from between the wall insulation while the AC was running. Probably a duct leak but if air is flowing into the attic when the AC is on it is probably flowing the other direction when the AC is not on. Have AC guy coming tomorrow - at least I will be saving some $s on my AC bill as I don't want to be cooling my attic and hopefully that was part of the culprit. Once again, thanks for your help.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:38 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 69VetteFla
Just finished up doing the fixes you listed. Really helpful and I think it will make a big difference. When I was doing the insulation/weather stripping on the attic door I noticed a cool breeze coming from between the wall insulation while the AC was running. Probably a duct leak but if air is flowing into the attic when the AC is on it is probably flowing the other direction when the AC is not on. Have AC guy coming tomorrow - at least I will be saving some $s on my AC bill as I don't want to be cooling my attic and hopefully that was part of the culprit. Once again, thanks for your help.
Leaky ducts are often overlooked when chasing down ways to save on energy costs. It's not too difficult to find leaks unless they are inside a wall. Every few years, I turn the blower fan on and inspect all of the ducts for leaks.

Between your work and the AC guy you should have no more garage smells in your house. Then you can concentrate or more fun things, like your Vette.

Glad I could help.

DC
Old 07-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

DC,

Your very thorough comments are a good example of why the Forum is such an informative resource.

Just curious, have you flown Douglas DC-3s? Sometimes called Dakotas?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by paul 74
DC,

Your very thorough comments are a good example of why the Forum is such an informative resource.
You got that right. This forum is a perfect example of pay it forward. A lot of selfish people out there in this world and good to see people willing to help out and take the time for complete strangers.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:35 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The metal "duct tape" for lack of a better word for the duct joints, the plenums and other sheet metal in a hvac system is a really good thing to do. There is also a form of thin adhesive insulation that is foil covered that you can cut and fit to cover plenums that are in unheated or uncooled space to somewhat insulate them. My home systems, one heat pump up and one nat gas and central air system down, both have the metal tape on the joints I wanted it on and upstairs the heat pump is in the unheated attic but where I can walk up to it and it is covered above the heat exchanger element area upward with the insulation adhesive panel material. All was available from one of the big box stores and not all that expensive.

Lance
Old 07-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

You got that right. This forum is a perfect example of pay it forward. A lot of selfish people out there in this world and good to see people willing to help out and take the time for complete strangers.
I have been on here for >10 years and taken out more than I have given. So I try to give back....

On the rear deck cables, let me know. I tried my top up yesterday for an A/C test and everything works tiddelly-boo (sp?). I did do some adjustments in April when I first put the top down and all is still well.

I enjoyed your audio thread! A good guide for many. I use an IPod without charging but you have added an improvement.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:46 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

I have been on here for >10 years and taken out more than I have given. So I try to give back....

On the rear deck cables, let me know. I tried my top up yesterday for an A/C test and everything works tiddelly-boo (sp?). I did do some adjustments in April when I first put the top down and all is still well.

I enjoyed your audio thread! A good guide for many. I use an IPod without charging but you have added an improvement.
Thanks. I have been here for a month and definitely have taken for than I have given and will try to give whenever I can. Was hoping that the audio thread would be helpful to people as I spent a lot of time trying to figure out a solution that would give me good sound keeping all original. Ordered the solid bars for the rear deck and hoping that does the trick. Can't imagine the amount of time I would have spent trying to fix that without the help from this forum.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Technology passes us by so quickly. I have 70 tunes on that mini-IPod Shuffle. That does it for me. Even without an amp that unit rocks the house when I am in the garage doing some adjustments (not often). The Wife gets on me for that but she has a garden...I have a garage.

Last edited by Paul L; 07-21-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:07 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a usb 16 gig flash drive with 40 hours of music on it that fits into the pioneer radio in the Vette. Have never gotten through all of it to this day! Much better than fishing for radio stations or putting cd's in and out of the thing. I usually don't have the radio on at highway speeds but there are plenty of times that driving four speakers in the back it sounds good to listen to.

LP
Old 07-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Alex/plus
Racer

Install a small exhaust fan somewhere in your garage maybe through a wall and provide a small air intake on the oposite side. Place a timer switch next to your house entrance door so it can be turned on for for an hour or two and then shut itself off.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:31 AM
69VetteFla
Drifting

AC guy just left. He said that all of the things that I did were all good to do - thanks DC. He also found that the plenum and some ducts in the AC were taking air in so fixed that. Should be good to go here - thanks to all here for the help.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:07 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

DC,

Just curious, have you flown Douglas DC-3s? Sometimes called Dakotas?
Never flown anything except my '73. I've gotten a couple of PMs over the years asking the same thing given my user name. When I first signed up for the forum, they wouldn't let me have just the two letters of my initials so I had to add a third character. I chose the 3 because of C3.

DC
Old 07-22-2011, 07:12 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

AC guy just left. He said that all of the things that I did were all good to do - thanks DC. He also found that the plenum and some ducts in the AC were taking air in so fixed that. Should be good to go here - thanks to all here for the help.
You are welcome. I'm glad it worked out where there were no major ($$$) problems.

DC
Old 09-30-2012, 04:04 PM
kansman51
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 79 corvette, and when it is in the garage, you can smell gas fumes coming into the house... I have checked all the lines, replaced the fuel filter, gas cap and still bad, have checked around the fuel pump for leaks nothing... There is no signs of gas leaking anywhere on the floor. Idea???..
Old 09-30-2012, 08:33 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by kansman51
I have a 79 corvette, and when it is in the garage, you can smell gas fumes coming into the house... I have checked all the lines, replaced the fuel filter, gas cap and still bad, have checked around the fuel pump for leaks nothing... There is no signs of gas leaking anywhere on the floor. Idea???..
Is your carb stock or a replacement? Either might be seeping fuel into the throttle body. Do all the checks advised in the previous posts and see what you find.

Quick Reply: Garage Fumes